• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Just off Liberty...any questions?

We just sailed on the Liberty of the Seas from April 4-11. We are spending a few days in Florida so I will post a review when we get back home on Tuesday night but I would be happy to try and answer any questions anyone might have.

We are a family of 7. My husband and I, 19 and 18 year old girls, 14, 12 and 2 year old boys. We had an E1 balcony room and 2 promenade rooms across the hall.

Did you go to Labadee? If so, how was the weather? How much more crowded than usual was the beach there, since they're building a new pier and have closed off Hideaway Beach?

Thanks,

Erica

How was it finding a seat by the pool on sea days??? Also did you do the MTD??? IF so how did it run??? Thanks!!!

It was very hard to find a seat near the pool. There was lots of chair hogs out! If you don't have to be right near the pool I never had a problem finding a chair at the back of the ship down one deck from the flowrider.

Did you go to Labadee? If so, how was the weather? How much more crowded than usual was the beach there, since they're building a new pier and have closed off Hideaway Beach?

Thanks,

Erica

This was my first time going to labadee so I don't have anything to compare it to but we went to the furthest beach and it wasn't too bad. There were plenty of chairs available all day. We even left our stuff at our chairs while we went to see dragons breath and had lunch. It was a nice relaxing day at the beach!

We did the MTD, It was so bad we walked out. We sat down @ 8pm, it was 10 min before we saw the waiter. we ordered, got our first corse then waited and waited so I walk over to the station and picked up our 2nd corse. Waiter came back saw we had our next corse said "sorry". The main corse was kept in the warmer from the first seating, The rare PR was now well, my Fish was overcooked and stuck to the plate, the sauce had turned to thick jello and was too hot to eat. we looked for the waiter or anyone after a long time w/no luck, so we walked out and never went back.

The MTD tables were at the front of the dinning room near the doors and all food is at the back so they and running back and forth because all the tables are out of sync. Then if you are eating at the start of a seating, you get to see the herd of people running to find there seats when the doors open. That's when the fun starts your waiter is trying to bring food upstream and the people are moving down stream.

We went back two days later, to let them know, we would not be back for MTD, They had over 200+ sign up most of which after trying it, when back to normal dinning. That night they only had 25.

The MTD tables were at the front of the dinning room near the doors and all food is at the back so they and running back and forth because all the tables are out of sync. Then if you are eating at the start of a seating, you get to see the herd of people running to find there seats when the doors open. That's when the fun starts your waiter is trying to bring food upstream and the people are moving down stream.

We went back two days later, to let them know, we would not be back for MTD, They had over 200+ sign up most of which after trying it, when back to normal dinning. That night they only had 25.

It sounds like they have a lot of kinks to work out. It probably is not a good idea to mix traditional dining and anytime dining in the same dining room. If they really want to implement this correctly they would need to have a dining area set up for each type of service.

They had over 200+ sign up most of which after trying it, when back to normal dinning. That night they only had 25.
Yikes.....that is too bad. We have late seating for an upcoming Liberty cruise and was ready to switch to MTD pre-cruise. Sounds like we had better wait until we are on board to see how things are going.

Thanks for your comments.

The MTD was on deck 5 of the dining room and the regular dining was on decks 3 and 4. We didn't try MTD and had early seating but we did hear lots of positive comments about MTD while on the cruise. I do have to say that dinner did seem to take longer than it did when we were on the Radiance. We always seemed to be one of the last ones out of the dining room and the next seating was just about ready to start.

I guess each person will have their own experience with MTD so it probably wouldn't hurt to try it.

How were women dressed for dinner on nights other than formal? I have some nice stretch satin dresses, and I'm planning to wear them on formal nights (the black and the silver), as well as non-formal nights (teal), and a nice dress for dinner at Portofinos (a red drapy dress). Will I stand out?

Was it Western and If so how was your weather in Grand Cayman? Did you have a tour? How long did it take to tender?

Who was the cruise director? Did he do a good job?

Was there Beatlemania? What was your impression of the other shows?

Grand cayman was very windy and we ended up tendering from a different spot because of the high winds. The water excursions were all canceled. The tender ride was pretty rocky but wasn't too bad. The worst part was getting on and off the tender. They did a good job making sure everyone was safe though.

The cruise director was James Andrews. He did a great job. We didn't feel as connected to him as we did our cruise director on the Radiance but there were also a LOT more people on this cruise than on the Radiance.

There wasn't Beatlemania but we did like the other shows with the exception of Somewhere in Time. We all had a nice nap during that one!

How were women dressed for dinner on nights other than formal? I have some nice stretch satin dresses, and I'm planning to wear them on formal nights (the black and the silver), as well as non-formal nights (teal), and a nice dress for dinner at Portofinos (a red drapy dress). Will I stand out?

You will fit in perfectly. I'm assuming because this was a spring break cruise there were a lot more people not dressed up because we saw tons of shorts in the dining room. On the other hand, there were lots of people dressed up every night. Even on the non formal nights you saw lots of dresses.

Was it Western and If so how was your weather in Grand Cayman? Did you have a tour? How long did it take to tender?

It was 70-80 sunny w/high winds, so we tendered in spotts. Three ships one very small dock, 3-6 ft waves. I think it took 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to get off the ship, they were tendering off both sides then it was too rough so they stopped moved the ship then just used one side. Carnival had a Med Emergency so that slowed things down. The two other Carnival ships skipped the port. Some of the tours were cancelled.

We were on this cruise as well and had a wonderful time. We did do MTD and had a great experience. We were a group of 10 and never waited for a table. We sat at the same table and had the same wait staff each night. Our dinners took about 90 minutes each night and never had trouble with the temp. of our food. We were asked each evening at the end of our meal if we knew when we would like to dine the next evening. Only one night we had not decicded what the next days itinery would be and called the next day with our dinner time. We usually tire of eating in the dining room but we enjoyed MTD and our wait staff so much we ate in the main dining room every night.

While it was difficult to get a chaise close to the pool on sea days, the deck patrol was doing a great job of bagging up belongings left for more than 30 minutes. They would place a sticker with the time on a physically unoccupied chair, and if no one returned to claim their belongings or sit in the chair they were bagged and taken to a cart by the towel check in stand.

I too will write a report later this week. I need to get all the laundry done first!

In Cozumel we're in port until 7 and we have early dining..... If anyone had early seating did you notice if there were lots of guests late for dinner? I'm wondering if this would be the best night to book Chops or Portafinos.

You will have to be back on the ship at 6:30 and they changed the dinner time to 6:30 for that night so you should be fine as long as you don't wait until the last minute to get back on the ship. There did seem to be less people in the dining room that night though.

We ate at different times each night. As early as 6:15 (the boys wanted to be done with dinner in time to watch the NCAA basketball final), and as late as 8pm. Always the same table-in front of a window, on the left side fo the dining room, and the same staff. MTD was such a nice experience we will probally always do it if it is offered.

If you don't want to get off the ship at a port (say Jamaica), do you know if the activities on the ship are opened to the public such as rock climbing and flow rider?

Where do you go to get tickets for the ice skating shows?

Thanks

Where do you go to get tickets for the ice skating shows?

I read somewhere that they don't require tickets for the ice show anymore, and that there are more performances of it throughout the week (like five now instead of only two). Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Erica

I read somewhere that they don't require tickets for the ice show anymore, and that there are more performances of it throughout the week (like five now instead of only two). Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Erica

That is true. No tickets were needed for the ice show and there were more performances. I'm heading out to the airport now but when I get home I will check the compass and let you know when.

As far as the activities onboard while in port I know they were a little more limited but they did have them going at different times. I'll let you know for sure once I get home and can dig out the compasses.

What is MTD ?
MTD is My Time Dining. It is a relatively new, flexible system where you are not part of either the early or late seating.

Early reviews seem mostly positive, but like all things RCI there do seem to be some discrepancies in how it is being handled from ship to ship.

Archived