• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Any shore excursion accidents on Princess?

Guest shaverg

Guest shaverg

In 2008 Had a terrible shore excursion accident, tripped and broke my leg. The Doc on board of the Island Princess, new it was fractured, but the radiologist they had to send it to in Texas said it was not, the Doc kept trying, but I think someone else must make the final decision. Even though we had insurance they did not evacuate me and 11 days later after being in bed all the time, since I could not walk, Immediately when we got home I went to my Dr and had an MRI, and Yes it was fractured and had started to heal. Well after 3 weeks in bed, because this is a non weight bearing and non castable fracture it still slipped and I had to have surgery twice. Thank god for travel insurance. But even though we had evacuation insurance I would have been better off to be evacuted and had the surgery right away, but some high up decided not to evacuate me. Now 14 months later I am still recovering and travel insurance only covers for a year of what your insurance does not cover. I will say everyone on board was great. But the attorneys at Princess HQ have a lot to be desired. I wanted just to get some cruise credit and tried to talk to passenger relations. I had no intention of suing, but since it was an accident it immediately went to their attorneys (not my choice) and they will not allow me to talk to cruise relations. When I tried cruise relations was very nice but said they were not allowed to talk to me. Which really stinks, we are platinum members and still plan on cruising, but you would have thought they would have wanted to do something for us. But the attorney gave me $250 toward another cruise and my husband nothing, said it was not their fault. Which was true, except we did have insurance for evac for up to $50,000 they should have evacuated us right away. I was in terrible pain for over 11 days and now over a year later. I can add never travel without travel insurance at least it covered what our medical did not for a year. I just wish we could have talked to cruise relations. This may not be over yet.

In 2008 Had a terrible shore excursion accident, tripped and broke my leg. The Doc on board of the Island Princess, new it was fractured, but the radiologist they had to send it to in Texas said it was not, the Doc kept trying, but I think someone else must make the final decision. Even though we had insurance they did not evacuate me and 11 days later after being in bed all the time, since I could not walk, Immediately when we got home I went to my Dr and had an MRI, and Yes it was fractured and had started to heal. Well after 3 weeks in bed, because this is a non weight bearing and non castable fracture it still slipped and I had to have surgery twice. Thank god for travel insurance. But even though we had evacuation insurance I would have been better off to be evacuted and had the surgery right away, but some high up decided not to evacuate me. Now 14 months later I am still recovering and travel insurance only covers for a year of what your insurance does not cover. I will say everyone on board was great. But the attorneys at Princess HQ have a lot to be desired. I wanted just to get some cruise credit and tried to talk to passenger relations. I had no intention of suing, but since it was an accident it immediately went to their attorneys (not my choice) and they will not allow me to talk to cruise relations. When I tried cruise relations was very nice but said they were not allowed to talk to me. Which really stinks, we are platinum members and still plan on cruising, but you would have thought they would have wanted to do something for us. But the attorney gave me $250 toward another cruise and my husband nothing, said it was not their fault. Which was true, except we did have insurance for evac for up to $50,000 they should have evacuated us right away. I was in terrible pain for over 11 days and now over a year later. I can add never travel without travel insurance at least it covered what our medical did not for a year. I just wish we could have talked to cruise relations. This may not be over yet.

on board was your "attending physician". I am so surprised that they would not take his opinion regarding your pain level, "hands-on" exam etc. to get you the care that you needed. My father broke his hip on a R/T Hawaiian cruise out of SD and the physician didn't even x-ray it during his first visit...only after my mother insisted did he x-ray it and found it was broken...I met the ship with an ambulance and transported him directly to the hospital here in SD for a hip replacement...so...I'm so sorry that you had such a terrible experience and such pain...it is so important to be a "vocal" patient ...even when you are hearing no...hope you are better soon! LuAnn

I am so sorry for your continued medical difficulties. Unfortunately, your dealings with Princess will be governed by the contract, and that specifically states that the onboard medical care and the shore excursions are independant contractors. You may prevail in a lawsuit with Princess, but I am afraid it is an uphill battle with the cruiseline.

As for the evacuation decision, it is not clear to me why that was strictly up to the Texas radiologist's opinion--medical air transport companies do need a medical sign-off on taking their passengers, but there are companies and insurances (MedjetAssist for one) that will get you back to the US. Was there some reason that you could not seek such transport on your own? Were you prevented from doing so? Were there no other port stops or something? If you were denied access to private transport even though you had insurance, now that might be actionable.

I am sorry to hear about all that you have gone through. Not that it changes your situation, but just for the knowledge of anyone else in this situation, did you ask to be evacuated? Did the onboard physcian recommend and or deny this?

I understand how difficult it is being in a situation where you just want to speak with customer service and are handed over to legal/claims department. Unfortunately this is likely to be due to claims laws that are in place to protect both the consumer and the company.

I certainly wish you happy and healthy sailings in the future.

Guest shaverg
I am so sorry for your continued medical difficulties. Unfortunately, your dealings with Princess will be governed by the contract, and that specifically states that the onboard medical care and the shore excursions are independant contractors. You may prevail in a lawsuit with Princess, but I am afraid it is an uphill battle with the cruiseline.

As for the evacuation decision, it is not clear to me why that was strictly up to the Texas radiologist's opinion--medical air transport companies do need a medical sign-off on taking their passengers, but there are companies and insurances (MedjetAssist for one) that will get you back to the US. Was there some reason that you could not seek such transport on your own? Were you prevented from doing so? Were there no other port stops or something? If you were denied access to private transport even though you had insurance, now that might be actionable.

Actually the Doc tried, but since the radiologist kept looking at the x rays which were poor at best and saying it wasn't fractured. I guess they have to be sure. Although the doc even showed what he thought was the fracture to my husband and myself. I kept hoping they were right. I had never had a broke leg before did not know, since I was not an expert. Like I said. I live in the City of Princess HQ and it was the Claims Dept. Even the doc wrote a letter that said the Cruise for us was more than unsatifactory.

Guest shaverg
IMO ongoing legal issues such as this should not be discussed on a public forum.

But as I said its just my opinion.

Actually this is the perfect place as a Platinum Princess member and I have tried all avenues except suing, which I don't plan on doing. I am hoping finally someone in Passenger relations might take notice before they don't have someone as nice as I am and maybe they will get sued. Like I said crew was great it is the people they have working in their claims dept. I have called, written letter and just want something for our trouble and maybe to get my PT covered until I am fully recovered. Colo Cruiser, I hope this never happens to you.

Guest shaverg
I am sorry you had to endure this but I can say that if it does happen to me, nobody on CC will know about it. ;)

This is my last straw. I tried everthing else. So by making it public maybe their claims staff won't treat someone else as they have treated me. The response I got from claims was basically not our problem. It has been 14 months and this is the first time I have made it public and I know they monitor these sites. You don't know what you will do until you walk in someone elses shoes. 14 months of pain and according to the Doc. a year or so more to go. I will still cruise with them, like I said their cruise staff is great. But if anything were to happen again, I would definitely do things differently and not be so nice.

I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose of your post. Are you hoping that someone from Princess Customer Service reads this and contacts you? If that is the case I doubt seriously there is enough identifying information here for them to even know who to contact or how. Even if there were, you've already seen that contacting Customer Service will only result in your being referred to their legal department. That will most likely not change. If not that, is it that you are looking for compensation without having to take legal action? While your claim seems more legitimate than most I read about here, this board is replete with people looking to get compensation out of Princess for things that often amaze me. Because of the often frivilous compensation requests posted here, I doubt this would be a place to make your case with them and be taken seriously.

If you are serious about pursuing this, I would contact an attorney that specializes in maritime law regarding pesonal injury and would let him/her handle this. While I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune and its terrible to have a cruise ruined by an accident and what happenes afterwards, I don't think posting here is going to get you very far other than venting.

Best of luck with however you choose to resolve this, and I hope you recover completely very soon!

Guest shaverg

People should just know what they are up against if they have an accident on a cruise, even with insurance. I hope this will keep them from treating someone else as poorly as they treated me.

No, I know they will not do anything else. because it is not possible to get past the pitt bulls in the claim dept. to someone that cares.

I know sometimes this kind of thing does help, others.

Guest shaverg
I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose of your post. Are you hoping that someone from Princess Customer Service reads this and contacts you? If that is the case I doubt seriously there is enough identifying information here for them to even know who to contact or how. Even if there were, you've already seen that contacting Customer Service will only result in your being referred to their legal department. That will most likely not change. If not that, is it that you are looking for compensation without having to take legal action? While your claim seems more legitimate than most I read about here, this board is replete with people looking to get compensation out of Princess for things that often amaze me. Because of the often frivilous compensation requests posted here, I doubt this would be a place to make your case with them and be taken seriously.

If you are serious about pursuing this, I would contact an attorney that specializes in maritime law regarding pesonal injury and would let him/her handle this. While I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune and its terrible to have a cruise ruined by an accident and what happenes afterwards, I don't think posting here is going to get you very far other than venting.

Best of luck with however you choose to resolve this, and I hope you recover completely very soon!

Actually, we never ask for monetary compesation and have no plans, just wanted cruise credit as a loyal cruiser. Which the Doc on board even recommended since Princess chose not to evacuate us.

People should just know what they are up against if they have an accident on a cruise, even with insurance. I hope this will keep them from treating someone else as poorly as they treated me.

No, I know they will not do anything else. because it is not possible to get past the pitt bulls in the claim dept. to someone that cares.

I know sometimes this kind of thing does help, others.

Ahhh ok, I understand now. Thank you for taking the time to post about about your experience so others can be aware.

I'm so sorry that you had such a dreadful experience and continue to suffer bevcause of it.

My mother fell on on her way to dinner the first evening of a Princess cruise, fractured her upper arm and shattered her elbow. The doctor told me (I was at home) that they don't do medical evacutaion. She was injured Sunday evening, and the first port was on Wednesday; she took a cab to the airport, a commercial flight to Florida, an ambulance to the hospital. Because the fracture was open, and there was such a high risk of infection, she had to have the woulnd debrided and the surgery delayed. If she had been evacuated, she would have had surgery the day after her accident; instead, she had to wait nine days. This complicated her recovery; she has limited use of her arm.

If I am not mistaken, the only time you will see an evacuation at sea is in a life threatening situation, that the ships doctor can't handle. That is why they make the call whether a patient can survive until reaching the next port. If any question they may not survive, that is when they evac with a helicopter.

Guest shaverg
I'm so sorry that you had such a dreadful experience and continue to suffer bevcause of it.

My mother fell on on her way to dinner the first evening of a Princess cruise, fractured her upper arm and shattered her elbow. The doctor told me (I was at home) that they don't do medical evacutaion. She was injured Sunday evening, and the first port was on Wednesday; she took a cab to the airport, a commercial flight to Florida, an ambulance to the hospital. Because the fracture was open, and there was such a high risk of infection, she had to have the woulnd debrided and the surgery delayed. If she had been evacuated, she would have had surgery the day after her accident; instead, she had to wait nine days. This complicated her recovery; she has limited use of her arm.

Thank You.

We actually had $50,000 in evac insurance and if they would have decided it was broken and I needed surgery they would have evaucated me. the radiologist was just flat wrong. We were in countries that were not always that safe. Nicaragua,Columbia, etc.

I hope she is fine now, it also complicated my recovery.

Maybe Princess will read some of this and be more helpful to others next time.

Guest shaverg
If I am not mistaken, the only time you will see an evacuation at sea is in a life threatening situation, that the ships doctor can't handle. That is why they make the call whether a patient can survive until reaching the next port. If any question they may not survive, that is when they evac with a helicopter.

Not true if it requires surgery and they are unable or cannot get you somewhere for, which they could not because of the countries we were in, and you have insurance, they are suppose to evac. you to the closest safest place to get surgery. This was the type of fracture that could only be set with a plate and screws, they could not cast it. In fact I was in bed when I got home for 4 months because they could not put a cast on it and I was not allowed to put any weight on that leg.

Guest shaverg
Question, although I know it doesn't make a difference in your pain. Was this a Princess sponsered shore excursion?

Yes.

Hummm, reason I asked. A friend was on a private shore excursion and she broke her ankle. The tour's insurance paid for what her Princess insurance didn't, including pain and suffering. I assisted her in the correspondence with the tour company. But I think she got very very lucky getting what she did from them.

Not true if it requires surgery and they are unable or cannot get you somewhere for, which they could not because of the countries we were in, and you have insurance, they are suppose to evac. you to the closest safest place to get surgery. This was the type of fracture that could only be set with a plate and screws, they could not cast it. In fact I was in bed when I got home for 4 months because they could not put a cast on it and I was not allowed to put any weight on that leg.

Hmmmm..... I too was under the impression that medi-vac was for life threatening issues.

Guest shaverg
Hummm, reason I asked. A friend was on a private shore excursion and she broke her ankle. The tour's insurance paid for what her Princess insurance didn't, including pain and suffering. I assisted her in the correspondence with the tour company. But I think she got very very lucky getting what she did from them.

In fact it was a gray line and we have tried to contact them with no results and Princess has copied them with my correspondence. We even had to pay $150 to get back to the ship. We were in Guatemala and Princess told us not to go to a Guatemala Hospital to come back to the ship. Everyone said that is the best decision we made and I do think they were right in that case. They tell you not to take your original passport, so we had very little cash on us and just a copy of our passport. It was actually pretty scarry, getting back to the ship by ourselves. Which we did not realize it would be. But the port is protected by their military and once we got to the gate took a very long time for them to let us back to the ship.

Doesn't look like there is anything we can really do now. Just hopes this helps others, that may be faced with the same thing. You never think it will happen to you, but it can in a second. We were having a great day and I tripped on a brick.

Guest shaverg
Hmmmm..... I too was under the impression that medi-vac was for life threatening issues.

No the doctor even talked to us about different ports they could evacuate us in if he could get verification on the type of fracture, he was a trauma doc and a good one. He even explained to me if it was the type of fracture he thought he was seeing it would require surgery and the least would be screws to hold it together. He just could not get verification of the fracture. They don't read the Xrays on board have to send them to the US to be read and verified. The ship did not even have a leg immobilizer to keep my leg stable. Which is something I have sent in a letter as a recommendation. It sure would have made my 11 days easier.

My friend that broke her ankle was also not evacuated from the ship. She was put on a plane (commercial flight) and was flown home at the first port of call. Her daughter also had to leave the cruise and accompany her as she was in a wheelchair because of the break. She was admitted to surgery as soon as she returned home.

Princess helped make the arrangements for the flight, as she did need surgery, but there was no actual medi-vac and she was told it was also because the break was not life threatening.

Archived