• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Any other cruise lines that offer no set time dining?

elruth

I am true to NCL but wondered if there are any other cruise lines that offer no set time dining? ( in other words, dine when you want and with whom you want, tables just for 2 ). Since the Majesty is sold and NCL will no longer sail from Charleston, I am looking into cruise lines that sail from Port Charleston.

All of the main lines now have or will soon have something that is anytime. the other things vary with each line. You need to go and read the info on their websites, and keep checking back as some of them it is in flux.

Celebrity will be adding Mytime type dining over this year. At least that is what I was told by them, and that it will be in place for my 2010 cruise I have booked with them.

I am true to NCL but wondered if there are any other cruise lines that offer no set time dining? ( in other words, dine when you want and with whom you want, tables just for 2 ). Since the Majesty is sold and NCL will no longer sail from Charleston, I am looking into cruise lines that sail from Port Charleston.

Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean are also trying out no set dining times but I believe it depends on the ship it is not fleetwide. Checking their websites will probably tell you which ships. Since out of the three Carnival is the only one that sails occassionally from Charleston you may want to check the Victory and Triumph to see if they offer it.

You should check carnival. I will be sailing the Conquest out of Galveston in Sept. It will be having the anytime dining or whatever it is called beginning April. I believe by 2010 all of there ships will have some form of this. You can do a search and find the schedule for this. I am an NCL fan but am trying to save the air fare. NCL does not sail from Tx so have decided to check other lines.

Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean are also trying out no set dining times but I believe it depends on the ship it is not fleetwide. Checking their websites will probably tell you which ships. Since out of the three Carnival is the only one that sails occassionally from Charleston you may want to check the Victory and Triumph to see if they offer it.

The Triumph and Victory currently do not offer any time dining. The only Carnival ships that have it right now are: Legend, Liberty, Sensation, Paradise and Miracle.

I wouldn't describe Princess as trying it out. They have offered passengers a choice of traditional or anytime dining for at least 7-8 years. They have the anytime dining option down very good. However, if you eat at the anytime dining rooms, you are expected to follow the same dress code as the traditional dining room (2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise, and the rest are resort casual). However, it is my understanding that the specialty restaurants are resort casual every night.

Disney has a casual sit down place on each boat, if you don't care to eat in the 3 rotational restaurants or Palo's. You can just show up to what is normally the buffet restaurant and be seated when you're ready, with only your party at the table. No reservation is needed, and I haven't had to wait when I went.

Hope that helps!

I wouldn't describe Princess as trying it out. They have offered passengers a choice of traditional or anytime dining for at least 7-8 years. They have the anytime dining option down very good. However, if you eat at the anytime dining rooms, you are expected to follow the same dress code as the traditional dining room (2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise, and the rest are resort casual). However, it is my understanding that the specialty restaurants are resort casual every night.

And they serve the same food in each of their 4 restaurants.

Their "steakhouse" is just a few benches at the back of the buffet.... I wish I'd known before investing 22 days with them....although the itinerary was unbelievable.

But check to see if you are still required to adhere to the dress code for the evening, even if you do not have a set dining time.

No one is "required" to "adhere" to the dress code in either style of dining on RCI. The daily Cruise Compass notes the suggested dress for the dining room each day, but the only restrictions on dress are similar to those on NCL- no flip flops, Tshirts, shorts, or bathing suits in the dining rooms or restaurants. In fact some complain that even those limited "rules" are only infrequently enforced. It may be that on a night when the suggested dress is "formal" there will be more people dressing up on RCI than do when NCL suggests that, if you wish, dressing up is appropriate, but I may know more about that in a few weeks when I sail on the NCL Spirit. The "suggested"dress in the main dining room covers the entire room including that section used for my time dining, but again no one is required to adhere to the suggestions and you will see almost all styles of dress evenings in the RCI dining rooms.:)

And they serve the same food in each of their 4 restaurants.

Their "steakhouse" is just a few benches at the back of the buffet.... I wish I'd known before investing 22 days with them....although the itinerary was unbelievable.

The 4 restaurant arrangement is unique to the Sapphire and Diamond, as is the buffet steakhouse arrangement. Most Princess ships have a steakhouse that is a separate restaurant. While Princess doesn't have the variety of restaurants offered on NCL ships, most ships have several dining options:

• Main dining rooms (traditional/assigned or anytime/flexible)
  • Sabatini's (italian)
  • Steakhouse
  • Ultimate Balcony Dining (unique to Princess, only available if you have a balcony and a great/romantic experience)
  • Chef's Table (also unique to Princess and a great experience)

Archived