• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Danube - August or September??

franski

We are planning on cruising the Danube next year (Uniworld/Trafalgar) - and had pretty much decided on a September departure --> until we noticed that the fares are significantly lower in July/August. I know that the air fare will most likely be higher in the summer - but am not sure why the cruise rates would be lower. Can anyone offer any insight?

I would welcome any opinions on changing our date, and leaving in late August - instead of sticking with our original plan to cruise in September. The time off is not an issue for me --> and if we can save $300+/pp, it would allow a cabin upgrade.

Fran

It's hotter in the summer and N. Americans tend to pick spring or fall over the summer.

Flights will be higher, but I've noticed late August not as bad as it normally is.

You'll get a little longer day also going in August than you will in Sept.

All around, if you can get a half decent fligth and save a bunch on the cruise, choose August.

We did the Danube this past fall - actually in October. We went Budapest to Prague and for most of the trip had pleasant weather. Maybe alot of seniors like to travel in Sept. / Oct. and the river cruises are not so much for young families with children out of school. But I think summer would have been nicer - we never really were able to sit atop the ship and watch the scenery - a bit cool. The Danube area is not going to be HOT like Italy in Aug. - I think that would be a very nice time of year to do the cruise.

It is very difficult to predict temperatures. In 2004, we were on a cruise from Bucharest to Amsterdam. When we got to Vienna, the temp was already in the 90's F, it remained in the high 90's til about Wertheim. In 2006, June temps in Paris were high 80's, got progressively hotter as we went south, til in Nice it was 100F. These were hot years, but then who knows what this year will bring. We really try to cruise in the "shoulder" seasons. Would rather have some rain instead of high temps. Pat

Archived