• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Deciding on rates?

I'm hoping you experienced cruisers can help me make a decision. DH and I are planning to go on the Oct 3 NE/Canada cruise on Carnival.

My TA has given me two rates - one is the Easy Saver rate, but she strongly advises against us taking that rate because we stand to lose our $500 deposit if we're not able able to take the cruise.

The other rate is the Cash Back rate, which is almost $200 more per person, but does include a $100 per person OBC, so it ends up really only being about $100 more per person.

We'd like to pay the lower rate, of course, but is it worth about $100 to have the safety of being able to change or cancel the cruise if we need to? We're not the type that would change our mind on a whim and if we book this cruise, we do plan to take the cruise unless something drastic happens.

What factors do I consider in making the decision about whether to take the Easy Saver rate or the Cash Back rate?

Is there anything else I need to take into consideration?

Also, the TA is pushing for us to take the Carnival cruise insurance. I think I've read here that it's better for us to get the insurance elsewhere, is that right?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I always purchase insurance separately--and not through my travel agent. There are two major reasons we have insurance. The first is in case anything happens to one of us or our parents that would make us want to cancel before the cruise. This happened to my stepfather when he had bypass surgery. The second is to provide payment in case one of us gets sick or injured on the cruise and has to be treated and flown home. This happened to my mother-in-law. Make sure whatever insurance you have will cover the things you need it to.

I don't see any reason that we wouldn't be able to cruise, but I know that something unexpected like an accident or serious illness could come up at the last minute.

We've already cleared it to be able to take off work for the first two weeks in October, so work wouldn't be an issue.

I have great insurance ( Blue Cross PPO) but when we are cruising we are not covered because we are out of the country, we are either in international waters or a different country. I realize that if you get sick or have any type of accident you will need medical attention. You will be charged on your credit card and if it happens out in town they will only accept a credit card BEFORE any treatment. We have cruised over 300 sea days and we always take insurance. Twice we cancelled due to immediate family members being very ill and twice I had to use the Doctor on the ship. If we did not have insurance we would have lost all our money. I have noticed on just about every cruise passengers with legs in cast and arm in slings. We have witnessed helicopter evacuations twice and a tug boat that came alongside to remove a patient. I have seen passengers being taken off in stretchers in Mexico and Alaska. If they don't have insurance it will be very expensive. One passenger banged hi head at the lobby bar and I found out from the ship Dr. the helo ride alone is 25,000. I think for less than 10 dollars a day it is money wisely spent. I highly reccommend everyone get insurance. The ship moves and most folks seem to forget that. Just last cruise Feb in mexico we had a Coast Guard evacuation. You can go to youtube.com and watch the evacuation on the sapphire. Please for piece of mind get the insurance. If you ever need to use it you will so glad you had the coverage.

Archived