• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

BIRG ticket - Rome to Civitavecchia

amsgo2c

1. If we choose to go to the San Pietro train station to return to Port, is there any danger the train will be full? (ie. especially if a number of ships are in port).

2. Is there any bus service, say from the Colosseum (or other metro stop) to Piazza Navona?

3. Specifically, we would like (if possible) to see (overview only) Piazzas Navona/Spanga; Trevi Fountain; Pantheon; Colosseum and Roman Forum. Any suggestions for a route, given a 6-hour window before train back?:)

4. Lastly, could we fit in a brief visit to St. Peter's Basilica in this time frame?

1. If we choose to go to the San Pietro train station to return to Port, is there any danger the train will be full? (ie. especially if a number of ships are in port).

2. Is there any bus service, say from the Colosseum (or other metro stop) to Piazza Navona?

3. Specifically, we would like (if possible) to see (overview only) Piazzas Navona/Spanga; Trevi Fountain; Pantheon; Colosseum and Roman Forum. Any suggestions for a route, given a 6-hour window before train back?:)

4. Lastly, could we fit in a brief visit to St. Peter's Basilica in this time frame?

In my port review thread (click here), I reviewed our Rome trip on the fifth post down. We were in port from 7-7 or so. We caught the 7:36 train to Rome, and then got back on at San Pietro (a little crowded, but still no issues eventually finding a seat), and were back on the ship by 5:15. (Don't know what time we caught the train at San Pietro, just that we were back by 5:15.)

We ate in Piazza Navona (unfortunately, the sculpture was covered with scaffolding), and walked to it from the Pantheon. I don't know about bus service.

Our day:

*Ship - shuttle to pier entrance - walk to train - train - metro from Rome Termini to Colleseum

*(got tickets at Palentine Hill) Colleseum, then Palentine Hill, then walk through Forum

* walk to Trevi Fountain (past new white monstrosity of museum??)

*walk to Pantheon

*walk to Piazza Navona, ate lunch at pizza restaurant

*walk to Vatican City, toured St. Peter's Cathedral (it was one of the days where the museum was only open 1/2 day, so we didn't get into the museum or the Sistine Chapel)

*walk to San Pietro station - train ride from San Pietro to Cittechevecchia - walk to pier - shuttle to ship

I don't know if you could fit all of this into your window - we got to the Colleseum around 9:15, but I don't know what time we left San Pietro. A great deal of the time was taken up by walking, so if you used bus or taxi service, it would cut down on the time. Also, if your budget could afford it, you can arrange for private taxi tours - they can meet you anywhere, I think. Check out the Europe/Med boards for more info.

Thanks Cathy, your material is very helpful. I had a look at your port review thread for all of the ports in the eastern Med., as well as some of your pics. Very nice:).

In my port review thread (click here), I reviewed our Rome trip on the fifth post down. We were in port from 7-7 or so. We caught the 7:36 train to Rome, and then got back on at San Pietro (a little crowded, but still no issues eventually finding a seat), and were back on the ship by 5:15. (Don't know what time we caught the train at San Pietro, just that we were back by 5:15.)

We ate in Piazza Navona (unfortunately, the sculpture was covered with scaffolding), and walked to it from the Pantheon. I don't know about bus service.

Our day:

*Ship - shuttle to pier entrance - walk to train - train - metro from Rome Termini to Colleseum

*(got tickets at Palentine Hill) Colleseum, then Palentine Hill, then walk through Forum

* walk to Trevi Fountain (past new white monstrosity of museum??)

*walk to Pantheon

*walk to Piazza Navona, ate lunch at pizza restaurant

*walk to Vatican City, toured St. Peter's Cathedral (it was one of the days where the museum was only open 1/2 day, so we didn't get into the museum or the Sistine Chapel)

*walk to San Pietro station - train ride from San Pietro to Cittechevecchia - walk to pier - shuttle to ship

I don't know if you could fit all of this into your window - we got to the Colleseum around 9:15, but I don't know what time we left San Pietro. A great deal of the time was taken up by walking, so if you used bus or taxi service, it would cut down on the time. Also, if your budget could afford it, you can arrange for private taxi tours - they can meet you anywhere, I think. Check out the Europe/Med boards for more info.

Thanks Cathy, your material is very helpful. I had a look at your port review thread for all of the ports in the eastern Med., as well as some of your pics. Very nice:).

Thanks. :) I've actually spent some time looking around that thread today, and was saddened that I reviewed so little of Athens, and yet so much of the other ports. Now, it's harder to remember what we did in Athens. I probably did that because it was all pre-cruise, and I didn't get the internet until we were on the cruise.

Those pictures in my sig are all selected by my hubby, as he maintains the website. I'm almost done scrapbooking my first cruise, and I've already done the second, so soon I'll be on the med cruise, and I'll have to get those pictures from him - they're still on his computer. :p

-Cathy

Archived