• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Life's a beach...yes, another beach ?

brownies95

First of all, let me apologize for another beach question.:rolleyes: We are having a hard time deciding which beach to spend a couple of hours at when we visit St Thomas in May. We are wary of Coki beach because of the issue with the cleanliness of the beach area, and the surrounding neighborhood.

We have looked at Megan's bay, Sapphire beach, lindbergh bay beach (emerald), and secret harbor beach.

What we want is a clean beach that has calm water, clean restrooms, food, and watersports (jet ski rentals would be a plus). Snorkeling isn't really that important.

Thanks,

Tim:cool:

OK: clean, calm, clean restrooms, food, watersports (jet skis and windsurfing), snorkleing not so much, beach waiters... and you are looking at Magens, Sapphire, Emerald and Secret Harbor.

All four beaches are clean. Magens is a park and its cleaned daily, its really amazing to see the difference early in the morning and then late in the afternoon. In the morning its a new day the beach is clean and then in the afternon there are maps, plastic cups, cans, towels left behind, sometimes shoes and clothing, food containers. Next day all cleaned up again. But obviously the items left on the sand are left there during the course of the day. Sapphire, Emerald and Secret Harbor have hotels on site and they too are cleaned.

As for calm, Magens is usually super calm, its a very protected bay. Emerald and Secret Harbor likewise are usually calm. Sapphire can have a gentle wave but not much. Of course this all depends on the weather, storms passing in the area affect water conditions.

Clean restrooms, well Magens is a park the restrooms there are like public restrooms - and sometimes they are clean and sometimes not so much. Also they get a lot of sand on the floor and since people are wet from being in the water the floor often gets wet... so again as the day passes the restroom gets progressively dirtier until someone comes and tidies up. Anyway it has its good and bad times. Sapphire's restroom is next to the restaurant, except the restaurant is closed at this time. So it's not getting the updates and maintainance it used to. It's like a public restroom at this point and again good and bad days. Secret Harbor and Emerald the restroom is by the restaurants and they are generally well kept.

All four have food. Magens its pizza, sandwiches at the concession area which is mid-beach. The bar is there too. Emerald Beach there are 3 restaurants along the beach, 1 at each hotel and then a 3rd just next door. The two hotels have beach bars. Secret Harbor has a restaurant and bar. Sapphire has a small open air place that sells sandwiches, hot dogs and has a few drinks. Sometimes there is a pizza delivery guy that comes and takes orders and delivers. And there is a restaurant up by the condos, about a 12 minute walk from the beach and sometimes there is wait staff from that restaurant on the beach - they have a minimum and a service charge.

Jet Skis and Windsurfing/Watersports: Magens has non-motorized things like kayaks and paddle boats. Emerald has various watersports, but pretty sure its just non-motorized things. Secret Harbor has kayaks. Sapphire has jets skis at the marina and they have windsurfing at the watersports booth which is run by these folks http://www.diveinusvi.com/index.htm. So you could email for information. Bluebeards Beach is excellent for windsurfing, they also do kiteboarding; you can check it out at http://www.islandsol.net.

You said snorkeling not a big deal, but for reference, Magens is sandy not much to see snorkeling. Ditto for Emerald. Sapphire and Secret Harbor have good snorkeling.

And beach wait staff... Magens has beach servers walking up and down a good distance from the conession taking the delivering orders. At the others you'll need to go to the bar or restaurant to get drinks.

For photos and more information try a beach guide: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=st.+thomas+beach+guide&fr=yfp-t-305&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8.

--Islander

Thank you for the information Islander!! After reading your post I think we are leaning towards Megan's bay. I think the deciding factor will be how many ships are in port the day we are there. I have read that Megan's bay can get crowded if there are a lot of cruise ships in port. I have been checking the port schedule for ST Thomas but they don't have it posted for May yet.

Thanks again for the info,

Thank you for the information Islander!! After reading your post I think we are leaning towards Megan's bay. I think the deciding factor will be how many ships are in port the day we are there. I have read that Megan's bay can get crowded if there are a lot of cruise ships in port. I have been checking the port schedule for ST Thomas but they don't have it posted for May yet.

Magen's will most definitely be crowded depending on the time of year that you go there. From around Easter through hurricane season it won't be too bad at all with July and August being the slowest months. If you head there when it's cold up north, that's when the beach will be crowded with vacationers and cruise ship passengers. You mentioned you were going in May, so you should be OK.

If you do decide to head there, walk toward the water and then turn left and keep walking until the crowd thins. :)

First of all, let me apologize for another beach question.:rolleyes: We are having a hard time deciding which beach to spend a couple of hours at when we visit St Thomas in May. We are wary of Coki beach because of the issue with the cleanliness of the beach area, and the surrounding neighborhood.

We have looked at Megan's bay, Sapphire beach, lindbergh bay beach (emerald), and secret harbor beach.

What we want is a clean beach that has calm water, clean restrooms, food, and watersports (jet ski rentals would be a plus). Snorkeling isn't really that important.

Thanks,

clean beach that has calm water, clean restrooms, food, = EMERALD BEACH....!!!!!

Archived