• News
  • Cruise Tips

REALLY Tempted to book Navigator

Which should I do with my wife?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I do with my wife?

• RCI Navigator of the Seas
    • Carnival Inspiration

First off, I like both Carnival and RCI, but RCI a little more in some areas.

I've done Mariner with a Balcony and Explorer with an Inside, as well as 2 Carnival Fantasy class ships, pre- Evolutions of fun.

I am looking at the 5 day Belize and Cozumel on Navigator after Thanksgiving with an inside, but I have also been looking at Carnival Inspiration with a window, Cozumel and Grand Cayman for about the same price.

I've never been to Belize but I love Grand Cayman, but the ship means more than the ports to me. I live in Tampa and can be dropped off to save on parking while I would have to drive and park at Miami. Which would you choose?

BTW, RCI has a lower deposit, fully refundable till October 1 vs Carnival's rate includes a higher deposit that is non-refundable (though it can be applied to another trip if I need to cancel)

What would you do (assuming you like both lines)?

I was looking at that cruise tonight, but the flights are outrageously priced! I can normally get a flight to Miami for just under $200, but at this time they are going for over double that! The only reason I can think of is because of the holiday. If I knew the price of flights would come down, I'd rethink it more seriously. Boy do I wish I lived in Florida!

Stick w/the Navigator if the ship means a lot to you. No contest between that ship and ships like the Inspiration - AT ALL.

By the way, I used to live in Tampa. Drive to port of Miami is a pc. of cake. My dh and I used to do it all the time! Just leave early in the a.m. in case there is a tie up the last 50 miles or so, or love bugs anyplace along the way - lol! We actually had to stop once when having to do a detour. They got ALL over our windshield so bad that we had to clean them off!

No, I hadn't posted there. A lot of Carnival fans think their food is better than Royal. I had been considering the Carnival for a while till I came across this deal on Navigator. We've been on Inspiration b4 the updates and sister Mariner OTS, so I know what to expect. RCI is a little more subdued, more restrained and dignified when it comes to the main dining room, but Carnival is a little more relaxed yet I found to be also more personable. I like both. I never remember having a bad meal or experience on either one.

It is just we've been teasing ourselves the last year or so driving down to Channelside often and seeing Legend and Inspiration off, dying to just jump in that yucky bay water and stow away on board.

But if there is a Radiance or bigger class of RCI offering a comparable price, it is hard to resist. Plus Royal's deposit on a five day is half that of Carnival and refundable till 60 days out at the same price point.

Five years ago I got a table for 2 on Mariner for our honeymoon; any advice on a repeat?

We recently sailed on the Navigator and were extremely pleased with our experience. She offers three different itineraries so you could actually do a back to back to back in 14 days out of Fort Lauderdale, if the spirit moved you. It was our first time in Belize and I was struck by the large number and variety of excursions that were available there. I would be happy to return and explore more of this port of call. We also did My Time Dining while on Navigator and noticed a number of tables for two next to the windows in the section of the fifth deck dining room that was set aside for MTD diners. It worked out remarkably well.:)

I just did it! We are booked for an inside cabin by the internet lounge on deck 8. Nov 30 5 days to Belize and Cozumel. 32 and half weeks to go!!!

A week later, I'm in a similar position, thinking about booking this cruise! It's a great price. I want to surprise DBF with a short cruise, and I thought I would add to the surprise and have another couple who live in AZ join us...I can't wait to see DBF's look when his friends are sitting at the pool bar...he lets me do all the planning for trips, so I think I could hide the surprise very easily.

Anyway, since they live in AZ, I've given the choice between this cruise and a 5 night Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego on the Radiance. We're doing a cruise with my family on the Serenade in January, and I kind of wanted to save that class of ship for that trip, but I know the Mexico cruise could be significantly more affordable for the other couple. But I so badly want to show DBF a voyager class ship, and the Navigator was my very first ship!!! :D

If anyone has any advice to sway us either way, that'd be great. If the other couple backs out, I am so tempted to book the Navigator anyway. I want to be platinum before my January cruise!

Archived