• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Two men dancing together on the QM2 - reaction of other passengers?

Devon Bloke

I have already posted this in the “gay & lesbian cruisers” section a week or so ago.

My civil partner and I are sailing on the east-bound transatlantic crossing of the QM2 on May 31 from NYC to Southampton.

We enjoy dancing but get little chance to dance formally together as a couple.

Aside from the fact that we have a bit of an “all-in-wrestling” moment when we try to work out who leads, we’re not bad at doing a passable shuffle round the dance floor. We have danced together in front of all our family, friends (straight and gay) and work colleagues at our civil partnership/wedding 3 years ago and at a couple of events that we have hosted (e.g. my partner’s leaving party from his place of work).

No problems there

Yet, even now, like many others, I am conscious that Public Displays of Affection (PDAs) between same-sex partners can still draw hostile comments (and worse of course).

What sort of reactions might there be if he and I take ourselves on to the dance floor for a quick-step (or what passes for one from us) – aside from the comedy value of seeing us have our usual argument over who leads!

Dear Devon Bloke,

A "reaction" by someone would be the offensive behavior.

Michael and I have met some really great guys on the QM2 on and off the dance floor.

So, go ahead and polish your dancing shoes.

Regards,

Jeanne

I have already posted this in the “gay & lesbian cruisers” section a week or so ago.

My civil partner and I are sailing on the east-bound transatlantic crossing of the QM2 on May 31 from NYC to Southampton.

Aside from the fact that we have a bit of an “all-in-wrestling” moment when we try to work out who leads, we’re not bad at doing a passable shuffle round the dance floor. We have danced together in front of all our family, friends (straight and gay) and work colleagues at our civil partnership/wedding 3 years ago and at a couple of events that we have hosted (e.g. my partner’s leaving party from his place of work).

No problems there

Yet, even now, like many others, I am conscious that Public Displays of Affection (PDAs) between same-sex partners can still draw hostile comments (and worse of course).

What sort of reactions might there be if he and I take ourselves on to the dance floor for a quick-step (or what passes for one from us) – aside from the comedy value of seeing us have our usual argument over who leads!

Personally, I feel there will be little or no response. But, of course, each cruise is different with an entirely different group of passengers.

From my cruise experience on the QM2, I felt that people were very well mannered and having too much fun to even notice or to make comments. And why should they anyway? There is absolutely nothing wrong with two individuals dancing with one another, be they a man and a woman, man and man, or woman and woman. Dance together, have fun, and don't worry--I would bet no one will notice or make remarks. And if they do, then they have the problem--not you!!!:)

No problems there

Hi Guys,

My other half (Paul) and I dance around like loons in the QM2 disco (G32 it's called) most evenings when we are on board. Nobody cares. I have also seen same sex couples smooching/dancing up close on the dance floor in the disco too - and having a great time. Nobody cared.

We're not ball room dancers so we have never been to the Queens Room to take a look at the dancers but I would say, that the QM2 is very same sex friendly, in all areas. We have met wonderful M/F couples and some of whom are life-long friends whilst on board. I would say that the important point is to see if you feel comfortable. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks (but you know that right?) sure, some people may be offended - thats life - and I know, like us, the last thing you want to do is upset anyone - so just see how you feel on the night. But I can assure you, that it is very gay friendly.

Its such a special 6 days, everyone is mostly caught up in the romance of it all. My guess is that, if you do dance together, all you will notice is people smiling at you, and thinking "good for them"... for making the most of such a wonderful crossing and sharing wonderful moments together.

Hope that helps guys.

Gary

You might get some « looks » from people who have not seen this before (yes, there are still people who haven’t seen this – I haven’t seen men ballroom dancing together myself but since I’ve seen men holding hands or kissing, I don’t think I would mind men dancing together at all).

The Cunard passengers that I met were all well behaved, had good manners and were very nice people so I don’t think you would get any bad comments because those making those comments would be the ones who would look out of place.

You might get some attention though (more people looking at you than other couples or people saying things like “have you seen them” or things like that) but I think it’s just a bit of curiosity and not meant to offend you.

Unfortunately, you might also see the stupid person who has extremely bad manners and makes rude and/or loud comments, but I think the probability is lower on a Cunard Ship than on a regular land restaurant that has a dance floor for example. If they do, it's their problem, not yours.

Totally agree with all that's been said. QM2 is a fabulous ship, you will enjoy every moment of your voyage on her.

Go and dance the night away, yes you may get the odd stare from the golden oldie brigade, but that's their problem and as my dear old Granny used to say......you will always find a prick in a bed of roses!

Have Fun

Jackie :)

When my husband and I danced on the QE2 last year, what we noticed were the annoyed expressions of the real dancers when we got in their way as they were doing rapid and expert spins around the perimeter of the floor. As long as we "stayed and swayed" in the middle of the floor, we were fine. I expect you will be fine, too. :)

Great thread, personally I wouldn't give a monkeys, but it did jog my memory of when I was spotty 18 year old at the local disco seeing all the girls dancing together with their handbags in the middle of the group on the floor. May I suggest, therfore, to prevent a trip hazard, you do not do the same:D:D as others have already said, dance on.

We met a charming gay couple dancing on the QM2. They were actually quite good dancers and we very much enjoyed their company.

cnbfrank, has the right of it. If you can't really dance, please stay in the middle of the floor and stay out of line-of-dance, which, by the way is always counter clockwise. As long as everybody dances in the right direction, and those who aren't really moving stay in the middle, the floor can accommodate a lot of dancers with no collisions. ;)

You also should be prepared afterwards to have people come up and introduce themselves, as you will obviously have publicly indicated your orientation. And mind you, I don't just mean other gay people. They'll chat about "my gay son, nephew, cousin, brother, etc (insert opposite gender as appropriate)". You may even start getting more attentive service from certain staff. Any few who frown or mutter are simply not worth a second thought on your part. Have a ball!

Any few who frown or mutter are simply not worth a second thought on your part. Have a ball!

Hear hear. Delving into my decrepit old memory, didn't you once post a similar question? I assume all went well, and that your only problem was being besieged by the single ladies who wanted a partner:D.

Mary

I assume all went well, and that your only problem was being besieged by the single ladies who wanted a partner:D.

Mary

Actually that was my thought too!!!! But then on Cunard we have the Dance Hosts to dance with. I would say just go and enjoy! I doubt anyone would notice, let alone comment!

Just got off the QM2 transatlantic of Apr 8. Had a great time and men dancing was no problem. I think it was Abba night and there were about 12-14 gay men dancing much of the night (no surprise it was on Abba night). The DJ (Graham Cracker) was excellent and played all of our requests - from Human League to Stevie Nicks to Depeche Mode...it was 1983 all over again. We had a ball!!!

To make a long answer short...just go out and have fun!!

Viktor and Jean

Having previously travelled on the QE2 last year and about to embark on another voyage on QV on Monday, I can honestly say that in the main Cunard are one of the better lines for being gay-friendly. One of the reasons why my partner, Mark, and I return to Cunard is that there is never a problem as far as this is concerned.

Cunard regularly advertise unhosted Friends of Dorothy (FoD) meetings each day of a voyage. Mark and I have danced together on dance floor at the nightclub and the Queens Room without raising a single negative comment. In fact quite the opposite. It normally causes a very positive reaction, similar to that described by SeaMatesNYC. Also it is funny how often certain members of staff are particularly attentive to you!

One small funny anecdote with regards to FoD meetings. Once when my partner and I, together with the other two members of our party were waiting in the Queens Room for our tender to be called, when we overheard a group of older (over 70) ladies talking about FoD meetings. One lady said that as she was called Dorothy, she decided to go along to the Yacht Club at 5pm one afternoon only to find out that it was not full of her friends but a group of men. I must say it amused us as we could just picture her face when she arrived. It was interesting though that her dialogue with her friends was without malice or negative comment - just pure bewilderment!

Anyway, my advice to you is go for it. Good advice from others about where to dance if you are not too expert, but that applies to all. Have a great time. We certainly will. Now counting down the hours!

Simon

I say go for it but if we are on the floor we will indeed give you a glare to kill. This of course only if you clog up the outside lane as cnbfrank & punkic correctly pointed out. Argue about which guy is supposed to lead in the center area of the floor. Sometimes the dance hosts are the worst offenders, they should know better.

Gents,

You will have NO problem. Dance the night away and enjoy yourselves, even if you get a glare, which I suspect you will not!

I will be aboard for your sailing, as well as the following 2 voyages, and will come to the Queens Room to cheer you on!

Bobby

Hear hear. Delving into my decrepit old memory, didn't you once post a similar question? I assume all went well, and that your only problem was being besieged by the single ladies who wanted a partner:D.

Mary

I did in fact. You have a very good memory, Mary! In the end, we did not take lessons. And you have pegged the issue that was identified. Two men "wasted" whilst single ladies waited in turn. I can see that being the case at lessons. Do you think it might happen at one of the two balls, too?? (or should that be four balls?:eek:)

When my husband and I danced on the QE2 last year, what we noticed were the annoyed expressions of the real dancers when we got in their way as they were doing rapid and expert spins around the perimeter of the floor. As long as we "stayed and swayed" in the middle of the floor, we were fine. I expect you will be fine, too. :)

DON'T get in the way, they DON'T stop, you will be trampled underfoot:eek:

...As long as everybody dances in the right direction, and those who aren't really moving stay in the middle, the floor can accommodate a lot of dancers with no collisions. ;)

Reminds me of my last trip on QM2.

Standing in a crowded elevator.

Man enters - can't reach the buttons.

Turns to me and says:

"Ballroom, please."

To which I replied:

"I'm sorry. Am I crowding you?"

:eek::D:cool:

Archived