My DH gave me a big scare this weekend

surfclam2003

Hi everyone.

Thought I was going to start packing this weekend since I had a long weekend but my husband (he's 56) decided Friday morning to have a heart attack while working in the yard.

HE'S FINE and came home from the hospital on Monday morning. He had 100 % blockage in one area so he had an angyoplasty done and a stent put in and they vacumned the rest of him out.

His first concern was having to cancel the cruise (no we didn't take insurance but will from now on)

He has to stay home from work for 2 weeks and then he works for 4 days and we leave on our cruise. The doctor said he can go but he can't do anything strenuous so I canceled the 1 excursion I booked for the twister boat ride to passion island (he really wanted to do that).

I am taking him back to the doctor tomorrow to get all his results and his limitations (the doctor came in at 7 am every morning to see him but I wasn't there).

Change of diet, more exercise and quit smoking (yes :D I called my doctor for a prescription for Chantix and he hasn't had a cig since friday).

He's bored right now since all he can do is rest.

Brinda

Hi everyone.

Thought I was going to start packing this weekend since I had a long weekend but my husband (he's 56) decided Friday morning to have a heart attack while working in the yard.

HE'S FINE and came home from the hospital on Monday morning. He had 100 % blockage in one area so he had an angyoplasty done and a stent put in and they vacumned the rest of him out.

His first concern was having to cancel the cruise (no we didn't take insurance but will from now on)

He has to stay home from work for 2 weeks and then he works for 4 days and we leave on our cruise. The doctor said he can go but he can't do anything strenuous so I canceled the 1 excursion I booked for the twister boat ride to passion island (he really wanted to do that).

I am taking him back to the doctor tomorrow to get all his results and his limitations (the doctor came in at 7 am every morning to see him but I wasn't there).

Change of diet, more exercise and quit smoking (yes :D I called my doctor for a prescription for Chantix and he hasn't had a cig since friday).

He's bored right now since all he can do is rest.

Brinda

So sorry to hear this news! But glad he is doing better. The Twister most certainly would not be a good idea....it is a very wicked ride!

I have gone through this with my father in the last 6-8 years and started seeing myself following in his foot steps. DW & I decided to get our acts together and get healthy. It has really made a huge impact on our lives as we feel so much better already! We can't wait for our next cruise with our 'new' lifestyle!

Anyhow....make sure he takes it easy...no reason to rush. Relax, get better and enjoy your cruise. The most important thing is that he is STILL with you!!

Godspeed,

Tony

Yikes! Glad he's OK. Your story sounds quite similar to ours, except my DH decided to have his heart attack on board the Liberty back in Dec. 2007. He is fine now, and smoked his last cigarette on the ship. As best they could determine, it was likely caused by his smoking (47 years old, no family history, in good health, not overweight, etc). After arriving in Grand Cayman, they took him to Cayman Islands hospital, and was air ambulanced to Miami. He also had 100% blockage in right coronary artery, and also had one stent put in Miami. Purchasing travel insurance was the best decision we made before that trip. :)

So go enjoy your cruise with his new lease on life, with hopefully many more cruises to follow!

So glad you were still at home when this all came up! Our prayers to you and your famliy. You might wnat to think about checking out ahead of time where the hospitals, etc are at your ports of call. You might be able to do this with Mapquest. Enter in the city, country (note there is a separate International button you have to click on first in upper left of web page, I think) and then once that comes up you can search for POI's (point of interest, my DH is in the trade). You can do same to locate where to buy water, etc at home port. I would also ask doctor for any contacts he/she may have in the various ports. Hopefully, it will be like an umbrella. You don't need it when you have it. Good Luck and Enjoy!

Wow! That is scary! My dad is not far from that age so that hits home....I am glad he is doing good though. We don't want you to miss out on our awesome Liberty cruise!

We are one day closer... :D

Glad he is OK and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Just beware the Champix - his dreams will be like going to the IMAX theatre every night from what a couple of friends have told me. They said the dreams they had while on it were pretty wild.

Again, have a wonderful cruise.

I am glad he is ok. Yeah, just take this as a relaxation cruise.

My uncle had this happen to him. He had to start watching what he ate and had to quit smoking. It was good until his wife left him. Now he is getting remarried, happy, and he started smoking again :(.

Hope all goes well for him and your cruise.

My best wishes to you and your hubby in his recovery. Don't take no for an answer with the smoking. My father had a heart attack at age 45 and was a heavy smoker. In the ICU he kept talking about how he was finally going to quit and never smoke again. Unfortunately a few hours later he was dead.

Good luck on the rehab and enjoy your cruise.

Glad he is OK and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Just beware the Champix - his dreams will be like going to the IMAX theatre every night from what a couple of friends have told me. They said the dreams they had while on it were pretty wild.

Again, have a wonderful cruise.

Chantix is for ME:)!!! He hasn't had a cig since his attack. I did the Chantix last year & screwed up the schedule and never went back on it. It did cut my smoking down drastically from 2 packs a day to 5 cig within 1 1/2 weeks so I know it works and I really didn't have side effects from it.

Brinda

My best wishes to you and your hubby in his recovery. Don't take no for an answer with the smoking. My father had a heart attack at age 45 and was a heavy smoker. In the ICU he kept talking about how he was finally going to quit and never smoke again. Unfortunately a few hours later he was dead.

Good luck on the rehab and enjoy your cruise.

I'm sorry your father never had the chance to quit.

We were lucky - I got him to our doctor who is 3 min away from our house and then got him to the hospital within 30 min. The paramedic told me on the way to the hospital that he was having a "Widow Maker" heart attack but we caught it early so everything should be ok.

Brinda

Glad to hear your husband was ok. Keep him fired up about quiting smoking. I quit almost 3 years ago and last year we took a cruise on the JUST THE MONEY FROM NOT BUYING CIGARETTES.

At times i miss smoking but its just thought then its gone, but overall i feel 100% better phyisically. Best choice i ever made!

To help me quit i used this website a lot http://whyquit.com/

I read the articles and watched the videos. I FORCED myself to do it everyday to remind me why i wanted to quit smoking. I helped a LOT!

Best of luck to you and your hubby and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

PS Check out his videos i watched one everymorning before work http://whyquit.com/joel/#video

Glad to hear your husband was ok. Keep him fired up about quiting smoking. I quit almost 3 years ago and last year we took a cruise on the JUST THE MONEY FROM NOT BUYING CIGARETTES.

At times i miss smoking but its just thought then its gone, but overall i feel 100% better phyisically. Best choice i ever made!

To help me quit i used this website a lot http://whyquit.com/

I read the articles and watched the videos. I FORCED myself to do it everyday to remind me why i wanted to quit smoking. I helped a LOT!

Best of luck to you and your hubby and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

PS Check out his videos i watched one everymorning before work http://whyquit.com/joel/#video

Thank you

Brinda

OMG OMG OMG!

I am so glad he's OK.......It's great you have the cruise booked for his to rest and relax and THANK GOD this happened while you were HOME!!

again, I'm glad he's OK and I hope you guys have a great cruise :)

Holy cow, Brinda! I'm so glad that he is ok. My husband has a history of heart problems himself and heart disease killed his father at 58 (my DH is 45 now). So, I can feel the fear that must've caused you. Enjoy the cruise and RELAX-RELAX-RELAX! Thankfully, my DH has never smoked but, as a nurse, I know the damage it does. So good for him for stopping!!!!!

Thank God this was caught in time. My husband had something similar happen 2 years ago, but his was just complaint of pains in his right arm and feeling tired (for a 2 week period). Finally I insisted we go to the hospital and he had 3 arteries that were blocked. They did 2 stents on the spot and scheduled the other a month later. It really taught me a lot of lessons about what I take for granted. He wasn't overweight or a smoker, but for the most part very fit. It did require changing our eating habits and getting in better shape...

Anyway, my prayers are with you and I hope you have a terrific cruise.

Thank God this was caught in time. My husband had something similar happen 2 years ago, but his was just complaint of pains in his right arm and feeling tired (for a 2 week period). Finally I insisted we go to the hospital and he had 3 arteries that were blocked. They did 2 stents on the spot and scheduled the other a month later. It really taught me a lot of lessons about what I take for granted. He wasn't overweight or a smoker, but for the most part very fit. It did require changing our eating habits and getting in better shape...

Anyway, my prayers are with you and I hope you have a terrific cruise.

Thank you.

My DH smokes over 2 packs a day (he hasn't had one since friday). This is our wake-up call to change life styles. His cholesterol is 180 so he doesn't have high cholesterol but don't know the numbers for the good vs bad.

Brinda

Just wanted to give alittle update:

Spoke to Dr yesterday and she said he can go back to normal activities as long as he know his limitations (if he's doing yard work and gets tired he has to stop). He is allowed to go on the cruise as long as he takes it easy.

He needs to stay on his meds, watch what he eats but he is allowed to have some alchol with dinner and after.

He still needs to stay home for another week which is driving him nuts because he hates daytime tv and it's been raining for 2 days.

Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts.

Brinda

Archived