• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Need suggestions on things to do since port times have changed

jaymo30

Well I was all set to go to Orient Beach for the day but now im not sure as what to do. Our new times in Port are from 2-10 in early June. I was thinking of still going to Orient for a late lunch at the beach but was told it tends to close up around 4-430 or so, just doesnt seem worth it now. Any other suggestions on what to do in that time period maybe some sights I should not miss and maybe a place to have a nice dinner? Any help would be great.

I have been to St. Maarten many times and we typically leave the beach by 4:30 in order to get back on ship. It has never seemed to us that things were slowing down or closing up. I would suggest going to Kon Tiki for dinner and lounging. Also try Kakao. I'm not for sure; but do believe that they have a wesite - google and see what you can find. Even if you only get to stay a couple of hours, the ride to Orient from the pier is only about 15 minutes - well worth the ride. Good Luck! C.

We are on EOS 5/28/09 sailing and also adversely affected by the time change. WE are going to do Bernard's tours - It is supposed to be sightseeing, beach, shopping. There are at least 6 of us - cost is $35. per person.

ya I am waiting on an email from Bernard. I just want to see if we are going to be going to Orients in time to grab some food and drinks at one of the beach bars

I too e-mailed Bernard today to see if he had any tours to fit with the itinerary change since we were also planning on spending the day at Orient and it doesn't seem like the best idea now. He said he has a tour from 2:30-7:30.... I'm just waiting to hear some more details of it though so that we can decide what to do. I just want to know where it goes and when (since it's later in the day and it starts to get dark mid-tour), and that things will still be open (stores, beach, etc).

We are on EOS 5/28/09 sailing and also adversely affected by the time change. WE are going to do Bernard's tours - It is supposed to be sightseeing, beach, shopping. There are at least 6 of us - cost is $35. per person.

More fallout from the damaged propeller. The EOS used to get in at Noon or 12:30 PM.

You could take a cab to Marigot and have dinner in one of the outdoor places ringing the Marina. Just make sure you have transportation back to the ship. This advice is for those who are not using a tour operator like Bernard.

Any other suggestions besides Bernard's. I have a 3 yr old and being restricted in a van with others is not doable if she gets cranky and has a meltdown. I too was planning on going to orient beach but if we get in at 2pm off the boar at 4 that does not allow for much beach time. So any other night suggestions would be appreciated... keep in mind i have a 3 yr old whose mood can turn on a dime.

Why don't you just take the water taxi into Phillipsburg and enjoy the beach and shopping there? It's a short ride unlike the ride to Orient Beach, which is much longer. There will be more action in this beach area to keep a 3 year old interested. If you are with others, one person can be with the 3 year old while the other shops and then trade places. In case of a meltdown, getting back to the ship will be much quicker. If you are taking a stroller, it would also be possible to walk from the ship to the beach.

I seem to remember that the water taxis stopped running about 5:30 or 6 pm. Before that they run continuously. Don't know about the stores - most of them probably start to close about then as well. You can always get a cab back to the ship for a few dollars. If the line for the water taxi is long, a cab is a good option and may actually end up being cheaper. Don't forget the stroller - the St. Martin pier is long and then there is a similar distance to either the water taxi or cabs. That plus walking in the hot sun would do in your 3 year old even before you get out of the port.

Hi .... i just posted on the other thread and i love this idea. So i just need some info on the water taxi... (please forgive me bc these are the same questions as i just posted)...where do u get tickets, how much, how long is the ride and what is the name of the beach. Thanks for the perfect answer as to what to do.... i was in St Martin years ago and i just remember Orient beach so u just made my night.

Hi .... i just posted on the other thread and i love this idea. So i just need some info on the water taxi... (please forgive me bc these are the same questions as i just posted)...where do u get tickets, how much, how long is the ride and what is the name of the beach. Thanks for the perfect answer as to what to do.... i was in St Martin years ago and i just remember Orient beach so u just made my night.

The water taxi is $ 6.00 pp for an unlimited all day ticket. The ticket booth and ramp to the service is at the end of the pier. Big sign, you can't miss it.

The beach is Great Bay Beach, Phillipsburg's beach. It is a great photo-op as the shuttle boat leaves the cruise ship pier to head into the downtown dock at Great Bay, if your camera can take wide angle pictures, even better.

The St Martin tourist board(s) don't like to talk about it but there can be a slight crime problem in Philipsburg which is why most of the stores are shut by 6 PM. The stores located inside the cruise ship facility tend to stay open later when a ship is in (Boolchands, Lil' Switzerland, etc).

The public restrooms next to the downtown dock are shut down and locked by 6 PM.

same post on both threads

Archived