• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Stay on the boat instead??

JerCatsRcruisin

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Jamaica...Really beautiful, but the vendors, shady taxi drivers, and the crotch grabbing Jamaican police (before you re-enter the ship) are NOT worth the hassle... :confused:

My parents did an excursion to the Rose Garden Plantation (I think this was the name..?) and said it was okay. My soon to be DH would love to zip line, but I heard that is not worth risking getting hurt.

Pretty nervous about booking any excursions or getting off the boat @ this port... Would really like to though. Any past experiences with this?

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Jamaica...Really beautiful, but the vendors, shady taxi drivers, and the crotch grabbing Jamaican police (before you re-enter the ship) are NOT worth the hassle... :confused:

My parents did an excursion to the Rose Garden Plantation (I think this was the name..?) and said it was okay. My soon to be DH would love to zip line, but I heard that is not worth risking getting hurt.

Pretty nervous about booking any excursions or getting off the boat @ this port... Would really like to though. Any past experiences with this?

The zipline (the one with 5 sections) is owned operated designed and maintained by the people who own the zip in Vail Colorado. I wouldn't be too worried. We planned it before DH broke his foot just before sailing. We were in Jamaica a month ago and had a private driver and zero hassle. Go with a ship's tour if you are nervous but don't stay on the ship-you will miss a wonderful day.

You didn't say what port, but we were in Ocho Rios 2 weeks ago (our second time) and we LOVED IT. Do not pay any attention to the Jamaica haters. Get off the ship and have some fun.

Our first trip we booked an excursion through the cruise line. We were taken by an air conditioned bus to the Prospect Plantation where we were driven by horse through a wonderful tropical flower/tree/argicultural plantation. It was great. Then we were taken to Dunn's River Falls. We left our belongs in the bus with our guide and driver. We walked to the bottom of the falls where we all linked hands and were lead up the falls. It was cold, difficult, but GREAT fun. On the way out, the vendors never grabbed us but they sure wanted us to buy something. We just said no thanks and kept walking.

2 weeks ago, we booked the Mystic Mountain excursion through the cruise line. We boarded an air conditioned bus for the short ride. We went up 700ft on a new, state of the art chairlift. The view from the top was magnificent. We enjoyed the bobsled 2 times, had a beer in the cafe, then geared up for the zip line. It was extremely safe, hot, a little scary, but GREAT fun. Mystic Mountain was built by the Carnival Corp and it is first rate. We we were finished we caught the cruise shuttle bus to the Taj Mahal shopping Mall. Went to the Hard Rock for lunch (Margaritaville is across the street), shopped, then caught the shuttle back to the ship.

I've never seen any "crotch grabbing Jamaican police" but if you look like you're trying to smuggle ganja back onto the ship, you would certainly be searched. We've never taken a taxi. Our shopping (both times) was at the Taj Mahal shopping center. It is clean and the shops are well run. The only vendors we encountered were at Dunn River Falls.

Don't be nervous. Book an excursion through your cruise line and go enjoy Jamaica.

Lots of mixed reviews and opinions for sure.

Do what you are comfortable with. Many people go ashore and have "no problems, mon", others report troubles and dont like the hassles. Still others stay on the ship and enjoy the day.

What ever you decide, enjoy your cruise.

(to me its not worth going ashore even doing an excursion if you are going to be nervous and not enjoy the experience, so take into consideration your comfort level and go with what your feelings tell you)

:)

Jamaica was the best port of our cruise. We booked through Marva Shaw, and her son, Javia, took excellent care of us.

I was the "planner" for our group of 8. I think my family thinks I'm paranoid, since before we left, I "prepared" them (especially my kids) for Jamaica based on what I'd read here. I was never approached, grabbed, groped, propositioned, or made to feel uncomfortable in any way. We interacted with a number of Jamaicans, so it's not like there wasn't the opportunity. In fact, I think my kids were a little disappointed that the "gauntlet" that I'd described at the end of Dunn's River never materialized- it was just some people in shops.

Yes, you need to be smart, but if you book either with a reputable tour guide or with the ship, there is no reason to be more wary in Jamaica than in any big city in the US.

Thanks guys.

Sorry, I didn't say where our port was (can you tell I'm inexperienced cruiser?!?! hehe). We are porting in Mo-Bay. We would really like to do zip lining, but I want to make sure that it is one that a U.S. company has built and put together.

I was a little nervous after reading all the negative posts about Jamaica on here. We booked an excursion through the ship to be on the safer side. I really liked Jamaica-- the people we met were very nice. I am glad I didn't listen to the negativity and stayed on board--we would have missed a great port.

• 2 weeks later...

We took a ships excursion last week in Montego bay whilst on the sea princess. Fantastic tour guide, no problems anywhere including getting back through customs. Our bags were scanned but no searches done. That is our third time now and we will keep on going admitedly doing ships excursions.

Archived