• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Calls From Laptop?

TableForTwo

While we were on our last cruise, there was a man using his laptop to make calls home. He said using the internet, an inexpensive phone, and sometimes a calling card, he can call home for nothing or very little.

Unfortunately, I did not get the whole process from him, and cannot seem to track it down myself.

He said it usually costs whatever the per minute charge is on the laptop.

I thank anyone who might be able to shed some light on this. We all like to check home , but usually it is so expensive that we get a hugh bill as a surprise when we get home.

Thanks for you time.

While we were on our last cruise, there was a man using his laptop to make calls home. He said using the internet, an inexpensive phone, and sometimes a calling card, he can call home for nothing or very little.

Unfortunately, I did not get the whole process from him, and cannot seem to track it down myself.

He said it usually costs whatever the per minute charge is on the laptop.

I thank anyone who might be able to shed some light on this. We all like to check home , but usually it is so expensive that we get a hugh bill as a surprise when we get home.

Thanks for you time.

To keep it simple, here is what I recommend. Unless you have a depth of geek experience in you... buy a cheap pay-as-you go phone.

Wal-Mart sells a $19 t-mobile phone. When you register it with t-mobile be sure to get the international service turned on. (critically important).

Load it up with $100.00 of time. Give out the number only to a few people who need it.

You will be able to call from the ship, and control the costs.

Computer bandwidth is limited on the ship, and often the service is blocking any streaming media like VOIP. (by the way if you don't know what VOIP is, then you for sure don't have the depth of geek you will need to use your laptop).

Several years ago I wrote a review of Skype that I used on the Elation. It did work then but was not reliable at all due to bandwidth issues on the ship. After that I successfully used a TracFone on several cruises and did not have a single problem and they were unable to bill the extra charge against it being a pre-paid. It just used minutes just like you were calling from within the US. However with the TracFone you could not use it in a foreign port because it would be detected that you were using it outside the US and TracFone would disable your phone. But using the phone on the boat appeared to them as a US based call. However, the TracFone for me did not work after Sept. 2008. The T-Mobile pre-paid might be an option if it still works.

To keep it simple, here is what I recommend. Unless you have a depth of geek experience in you... buy a cheap pay-as-you go phone.

Wal-Mart sells a $19 t-mobile phone. When you register it with t-mobile be sure to get the international service turned on. (critically important).

Load it up with $100.00 of time. Give out the number only to a few people who need it.

You will be able to call from the ship, and control the costs.

Computer bandwidth is limited on the ship, and often the service is blocking any streaming media like VOIP. (by the way if you don't know what VOIP is, then you for sure don't have the depth of geek you will need to use your laptop).

TMobile is the MOST EXPENSIVE carrier to use on a ship. $4.99/minute for voice. Text messaging isn't so bad.

I think all the others are $2.49/minute for voice.

OFF the ship, Tmobile might not be so bad.

Skype is blocked, but not all choices are. Your mileage may vary.

TMobile is the MOST EXPENSIVE carrier to use on a ship. $4.99/minute for voice. Text messaging isn't so bad.

I think all the others are $2.49/minute for voice.

OFF the ship, Tmobile might not be so bad.

Skype is blocked, but not all choices are. Your mileage may vary.

OK, whatever... but the concept is right. You can buy a pay-as-you-go, and control the costs.

Archived