Random room searches on Victory, WTH?

Guatiao

We were on the Conquest, and we witnessed someone steal the salt and pepper shakers from the supper club. (When we reported it, our server told us that they had asked, earlier, how much it would be to purchase them.) I wondered how they would follow up, but later I heard that a room had been searched, and assumed it was them.

It probably makes more sense for them to say "random search", than for them to say "those other people in the dinner club ratted you out."

``I find it very strange that they would do a 'random' search at 6am....and if it was my room, I would NOT be letting anyone in, nor would I be leaving my room, at 6am!''

Yes, you would. If that knock is coming at 6 a.m. the day you are getting off the ship then it is customs officers. They tell you in the debarkation meeting and the morning the ship arrives that customs has taken control of the ship. You are no longer in control of your room, the armed officers whos job it is to protect the country are now in control of it. Those men take their jobs very seriously, and thankfully we have them.

These searches might suck, but they do them for a reason. If people would stop smuggling drugs or even worse things into the country, we wouldnt need them.

The day I'm getting off the ship I can see, but that was NOT what the OP was saying.

Having been in law enforcement, these are my thoughts:

Someone could have reported these folks for something

Someone could have given the wrong room number or mistakenly identified them as someone else.

If there is reasonable cause to do this, hitting a room early in the morning gives the security the element of surprise. By hitting early, occupants are confused and less likely to be able to flush anything.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, sorry I took so long, but I finally talked to my friend! He confirmed what I told you all about, and told me that, as far as he knew, the 2 persons that came over to his room were from the INS. He said they wore dark blue uniforms, like the ones I have seen on the San Juan piers. He also mentioned that someone from CCL, was with them. One of the INS persons came in, and teh other interviewed my friend outside the room. My friend told me the person inside looked even inside pillows, under bed sheets, etc.

Then, after it all was over, the cabin attendant came over to make up the room, and asked my friend what had happened, as if he never had encountered such a situation before.

He tried contacting CCL, but so far no answer.

Archived