• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Glass bottom room on a cruise ship?

Fat Boy

Would it be possible to build a glass bottom room or underwater portal windows into a new cruise ship? I know it would have to be some pretty thick glass, or maybe a synthetic... But if they can have windows on the Shuttle, I'd think they could put a window 20 feet underwater.

I have no interest in seeing most of the American port waters, but I bet cruising over the coral in a lot of caribbean port cities would be really cool.

Would anyone even be interested in something like that? Or would it sway you away from a particular ship?

Would it be possible to build a glass bottom room or underwater portal windows into a new cruise ship? I know it would have to be some pretty thick glass, or maybe a synthetic... But if they can have windows on the Shuttle, I'd think they could put a window 20 feet underwater.

I have no interest in seeing most of the American port waters, but I bet cruising over the coral in a lot of caribbean port cities would be really cool.

Would anyone even be interested in something like that? Or would it sway you away from a particular ship?

I think that would be a neat idea.

They were thinking of doing that. But they decided not to because the fish said it would scare them seeing you walk around nekkid in your cabin.......:p:p

It's the best 300 pounds is ever gonna look! I don't think the fish would mind, but I bet there might be some jealous walrus. Why work on a six pack, when you can have the whole keg!

A private "room with a view" might be cool, but I'd settle a small public area.

i actually think that's a pretty slick idea. and definitely possible... they make glass bottom boats as is (granted, smaller), and submarines, so why not?

a little mini aquarium to go along with the 'experience' wouldn't be too hard or costly, also. they could have on display fish that you'd be likely to see along the itinerary in the local waters - and have some info on the fish, etc. like at aquariums.

i wouldn't even mind paying admission for something like that.

lol of course the bottom deck or two, depending on the size of the ship is crew quarters. So they would get the benefit if the bottom was glass. Imagine the problem keeping barnacles off. Right now ships are dry hulled about every 3 years so they can scrape off barnacles. A small glass bottomed boat is easier to get out of the water and clean the bottom off than a cruise ship. Not a real feasible idea imo, but I guess nice to think about.

Sounds like paying divers to constantly be under there cleaning would be the only possible way, a whole crew of them when the ship is in port?? yea right. They couldnt swim when the ship was moving and the only time you could see the coral would be when in shallower water.... the same time you would have to have the crew swimming down there constantly cleaning the glass.

Archived