• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Mind Your Manners when greeting locals. You'll be glad you did.

Shekirk

FYI in Bermuda I was admonished (rightfully so) by my taxi driver for not greeting him properly before starting a conversation. He then shared with my family that it is proper in Bermuda to always begin a conversation with, good morning or good afternoon or good evening to whomever you are speaking. This goes for bus drivers, bartenders, salespeople, lifegaurds...everyone. Believe me the locals in Bermuda are very nice, but if you make the effort to adopt this ritual, in my experience, you will be treated even nicer. A little civility goes a long way on this beautiful island. Hope this tip makes your visit even better.

I've found this to be true myself, and after thinking about it for a moment, I'm really glad to read that the taxi driver took the time to inform the OP about this little bit of Bermuda culture.

These days, so many places just dismiss tourists as rude and unwilling to take the time to learn, but I bet most people who are traveling to different cultural places would value the opportunity to be corrected and to learn about the place they are visiting.

The French could learn a thing or two from this report! ;)

I learned on my first visit to Bermuda to greet the bus driver upon boarding, and to thank them upon leaving, and it has always served me well.

Theron

I've found this to be true myself, and after thinking about it for a moment, I'm really glad to read that the taxi driver took the time to inform the OP about this little bit of Bermuda culture.

These days, so many places just dismiss tourists as rude and unwilling to take the time to learn, but I bet most people who are traveling to different cultural places would value the opportunity to be corrected and to learn about the place they are visiting.

Theron

You are so right! This happened in 1995 and I remember it as clear as day. And fortunately my family and I took no offense as others might have. We were grateful to the taxi driver. Can't wait to go back! Only 18 more days and we'll be there....

I was aware of this last year when we went and made somewhat of an attempt to see if the locals greeted each other the same way I was told to.

Does this not apply to them, because I really did not see the friendliness between locals like I thought I would.

I was aware of this last year when we went and made somewhat of an attempt to see if the locals greeted each other the same way I was told to.

Does this not apply to them, because I really did not see the friendliness between locals like I thought I would.

Yes, we locals will always say Good Morning etc. or we may not get served!!

When we have houseguests, they are warned to make sure they say the proper greeting or suffer the consequences!!

Sue

We read this advice in a travel book before our last Bermuda cruise. I did notice residents greeting each other, and was pleased to see the respect the young people gave to the bus drivers and passengers.

I remember one young man getting on the bus, headphones on, with no greeting. An older women sitting by the door engaged the driver in a brief but noticeable commentary on the lack of respect. He was the exception, not the norm.

• 2 weeks later...
My son travels home on the bus after school. He says to the driver "Good Afternoon" when he boards the bus and "Thank You" when he leaves the bus.

I ride the bus frequently here in the States and always greet the driver when I board and thank them when leaving. Common courtesy is being lost, especially by the younger folks and it's really a shame... :mad:

We'll be in Bermuda in July... it'll be nice to see a society where manners still matter.

so, is "Hello" not acceptable? Must it be "Good morning" or afternoon/evening?

I think the key is that most folks in Bermuda are polite, so of course, it would be very unusual for a bus driver to find a "hello" to be "not acceptable". But at the same time, I would suppose if you sat near the front of the bus and listened to what the residents said when they boarded, it would predominantly be a good morning or afternoon or evening.

FWIW... :)

Theron

Just love greeting the bus driver and thanking h im in Bermuda.. because they actually like tourists and the Bermudians are extremely helpful and will go out of their way to help you.. Of course they know at the end of the cruise season they have all nineteen miles of the Island to themselves.. Then again, after visiting St. Bart's...I would rather be in my beloved Bermuda anytime...We have also found the school kids to be well behaved on the bus and actually get up to give a senior citizen a seat..

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning everyone. We have returned from our trip to Bermuda (14 years after being admonished by our taxi driver to mind our manners) and I am happy to report that we still found good manners much in evidence. We took the bus to Hamilton from the Dockyard and all the locals (even the teenagers) greeted the bus driver with a good afternoon salutation and a thank you when leaving. It was so refreshing and civil. Our family continues to carry on this tradition beyond Bermuda. Wouldn't it be a kinder gentler world if we all adopted this ritual, especially in the US?

Good evening all! Excellent information, Thank you.

Being a school bus driver I'm now wondering about a few of the students (K-12) that ride my bus on route or field trips, some actually do say Thank you as they depart the bus. Maybe they have traveled somewhere such as Bermuda where they learned to use manners or perhaps their parents have taught them at home. I do find I have a bit of extra respect towards them due to their manners. Maybe others will catch on. Perhaps I'll share a story of being in Bermuda and the customs there after our trip.

Again, Thank you for the heads up.

As an added bonus, it initiates conversation! We had many, many conversations with local people in Bermuda and learned so much!

I think it's the British thing. In London, DH and I took the wrong tube stop exit and became hopelessly lost in a very posh neighbourhood. An equally posh gentleman walked 15 minutes out of his way to show two disheveled, bug-eyed (overnight flight by the washrooms) and overheated (the year of the heatwave) tourists (we were dragging our luggage) to the correct street.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning! Since we are now at the height of the cruise season in Bermuda I thought that some people might appreciate this tip, especially if it's your first trip to beautiful Bermuda.

Archived