• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Santorini question

bigos2006

I need help. I'm torn between two tours thru RCCL. Village of OIa & Santorini Island and Pyrgos village with Mezes & wine. We will be there in just over a month. Have anyone done either tour? I would love you input. Thankyou in advance

I haven't done either of these on a tour, but we were there last year for several days ! Oia is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been ! So it wins, hands down, to me ! You will love it ! You don't really need a tour. Just take the city bus, or rent a car and see more of the island. Very easy ! Enjoy your trip !

Thanks kwk1955 for your reply. My only problem is that there are many ships that day with over 9500 people. I'm wondering if Oia can handle that . I've seen so many pictures of Oia and it is so beautiful. is the whole island that nice?

I'm wondering if Oia can handle that . I've seen so many pictures of Oia and it is so beautiful. is the whole island that nice?
Oia is probably the most picturesque bit of Santorini. The main town has got some pretty bits along the caldera, but frankly it'll be a zoo on a cruise ship day. Even Oia is likely to be pretty crowded. Unfortunately, the best way of seeing Santorini is on a day when there are no cruise ships. That's just life. The eastern edge of the island is rather less picturesque, as it slopes down to black gravelly beaches.

I would definetly go to Oia. It is really beautiful there. Might want to take a taxi there first thing in the morning before the tour buses and crowds get there. You can take the bus back. We did that the first time we were there. The second time we rented a car and drove there first thing in the morning. If you rent a car, with all the ships in you might want to reserve the car in advance. We used Tony's rent a car and found them to be very nice. They were recommended by these boards.

I think you could do both. I would do Oia on my own using the very reliable bus service and then book the winery excursion through RCCL. Flip side: You could hire a taxi for the day to take you to both places.

I had the pleasure of visiting Oia in the first group of cruisers to visit the town (on a day when at least 5 cruise chips were in Santorini) and had time to wander through the town before the hordes arrived. It was wonderful...this is a must-see! However, it does get extremely crowded once the tours arrive and it becomes difficult to move about and catch those amazing views. The key is to arrive early - and then move on to the less crowded parts of the island.

Have you checked the exact timings of all the ships at Santorini that day? Some ships (typically the MSC ships) arrive early and leave in the early afternoon, others (e.g. Celebrity Solstice on some itineraries) arrive at lunchtime and stay until the late evening. If you can identify the times of ship arrivals & departures, you might be able to spot a time when Oia might be less crowded.

No contest - best place to visit is Oia. We did it via bus (REALLY cheap), but did take a cab back to Fira. This was about 3 yrs. ago and then the cab cost about $10 to get back.

One thing to remember . . . your choices to get down to the port to board your ship are either to take the funicular (line gets VERY, VERY long so you almost have to be in it BY about 90 min. before you need to be back on board (I am going by mid-June crowds for a large RCCL ship). Or else you have to walk down the many, many, many steps, and that will take at least a half hr. The steps are filled w/donkey doo and a young woman slipped and fell (yes, right in a pile!) who was near me. (At least she had a good attitude and said, "Well, it was bound to happen to somebody so it might as well have been me!" - LOL!) Many people were trying to hurry back down as there was no way to make it on the funicular with line so long! (At least it seemed that way.) So just be sure you allow time to get back down to the docks.

DO NOT miss Oia. It's absolutely gorgeous and when you are there it's a 'pinch me' moment. I took a Celebrity tour that went to Oia and the Santo winery (amazing views) and then ended at Fira with free time for shopping, eating, etc. I agree try and get there early and then plan the rest of the day but don't miss out on Oia, the highlight of Santorini, IMHO.:)

Oh, I agree with MLBCruiser. The line for the funicular was REALLY long and there was only 2-3 ships in port. We waited a good 45+ minutes and this was in October so just make sure to allow time. Although, getting stuck on Santorini couldn't be that bad, right!

We visited Santorini a decade ago and loved Oia at sunset (we were not on a cruise) but the ride there is hair raising with no guardrails! That said, anyone visiting Santorini and not seeing the excavations at Akrotiri is missing out. This is our most cherished memory of the island and we plan to see them again when we go on Azamara Quest in July 2010. We went on our own. The excavations are of the town that was buried when the volcano erupted is fascinating.

We visited Santorini a decade ago and loved Oia at sunset (we were not on a cruise) but the ride there is hair raising with no guardrails! That said, anyone visiting Santorini and not seeing the excavations at Akrotiri is missing out. This is our most cherished memory of the island and we plan to see them again when we go on Azamara Quest in July 2010. We went on our own. The excavations are of the town that was buried when the volcano erupted is fascinating.

Sadly - the Akrotiri site is closed to the public. There was an accident there a few years ago, when a roof over the diggings collapsed on visitors, and one person was killed. Since then the site has been closed. They don't seem to be in any hurry to re-open it, unfortunately.

However, there is a wonderful new (I think - just open a few years) museum in Fira town which contains a lot of finds from Akrotiri, including several of the murals, lots of pottery, etc, etc. Well worth a visit.

We will be there in May and are porting in on the Noordam for about 12 hours. Our thought was to take a 6hr boat tour (ferry boat) of the Caldera, hot springs, etc and then get off the boat in Oia and spend a couple of hours touring on foot. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts. Also if anyone has done the boat tour on the ferry can you remember how deep the water is at the hot springs ( waist deep, over your head, etc)

Everyone's help is appreciated.

Brewster

Sadly - the Akrotiri site is closed to the public. There was an accident there a few years ago, when a roof over the diggings collapsed on visitors, and one person was killed. Since then the site has been closed. They don't seem to be in any hurry to re-open it, unfortunately.

However, there is a wonderful new (I think - just open a few years) museum in Fira town which contains a lot of finds from Akrotiri, including several of the murals, lots of pottery, etc, etc. Well worth a visit.

The Museum of Prehistoric Thira (near the bus station in Fira) is indeed fantastic. (We visited there in September.) Great exhibits with labels in both Greek and English, as well as good a/c and bathrooms, not to mention the wall paintings and solid gold small goat. I highly recommend that you spend an hour there during your day in Santorinie.

Archived