For Kendra...Genoa aquarium excursion

sea-explorer

Just a quickie on the logistics as I know you were looking into this one.

Meet at the lounge at approx 8..8.15am, on our way by 9.30. Free time in the aquarium, meeting for the boat trip at 11.25 then back to the coach for 12.15, returning to the ship about an hour later.

The 2 hours was enough for the aquarium. There were quite a few steps though, maybe a little difficult with a toddler or buggy, but I think there were some lifts available if needed.

We shared the excursion with the Italians, which was fine on the coach but I didn't really manage to hear any of the commentary on the boat trip..a combination of switching languages and the very loud noise of the boat's engine. My personal opinion is that the boat trip wasn't really worth it, but maybe that was just me.

As with all ship's excursions it was a little expensive, but the convenience was more of an issue here for us after a few 'heavy' days in Rome. It also left perhaps a little earlier than I would have thought, my son's weren't too pleased with me for arranging such an early start for them. :)

If going alone you would have a little more time in Genoa, but some of this would be lost in getting there. Taxi to the station I believe was a standard 15 euros each way, then a few euros for the train. Aquarium tickets: with boat ride, 42 euros per adult, 21 euros for children 4-12 & free for children under 4. However, for just the aquarium, tickets were 17 euros adult & 11 euros child.

Hope this helps you a little in your planning.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Just a quickie on the logistics as I know you were looking into this one.

Meet at the lounge at approx 8..8.15am, on our way by 9.30. Free time in the aquarium, meeting for the boat trip at 11.25 then back to the coach for 12.15, returning to the ship about an hour later.

The 2 hours was enough for the aquarium. There were quite a few steps though, maybe a little difficult with a toddler or buggy, but I think there were some lifts available if needed.

We shared the excursion with the Italians, which was fine on the coach but I didn't really manage to hear any of the commentary on the boat trip..a combination of switching languages and the very loud noise of the boat's engine. My personal opinion is that the boat trip wasn't really worth it, but maybe that was just me.

As with all ship's excursions it was a little expensive, but the convenience was more of an issue here for us after a few 'heavy' days in Rome. It also left perhaps a little earlier than I would have thought, my son's weren't too pleased with me for arranging such an early start for them. :)

If going alone you would have a little more time in Genoa, but some of this would be lost in getting there. Taxi to the station I believe was a standard 15 euros each way, then a few euros for the train. Aquarium tickets: with boat ride, 42 euros per adult, 21 euros for children 4-12 & free for children under 4. However, for just the aquarium, tickets were 17 euros adult & 11 euros child.

Hope this helps you a little in your planning.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Thanks for the info!!! I hope you guys had a wonderful vacation! How was the ship? Anything I should know? We leave in a few days. I am so nervous. We havent had a real vacation in a while and this is our first real family vacation.

Hi Kendra,

Yes, overall, we had a good time. Please don't be nervous, I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Yes, there were one or two things perhaps that we felt could have been better, but if I start to list them it will look like a list of complaints & that certainly wouldn't be my intention.

One of my major errors was to order the fruit bowl for our cabin as my husband in particular always enjoys this. I know not to bother in the future though. :D The fruit was often a little too unripe to eat & they always took the bowl away & replaced it the next day with unripe fruit, so as you can imagine, we ate very little. If you want fruit for your cabin, it is just as easy to collect it from the buffet. Another lesson learnt for next time. ;)

We met up with a few Cruise Critic members... for a drink & teamed up at times for the quizzes..not my forte though! :D The weather was kind to us & we enjoyed the ports. Perhaps we can compare notes when you get back. We are booked on the same itinerary as you in October. In the meantime, enjoy! :)

Edit:!!!!!!

Oops! I've just noticed, there was an error on my original post. We were on our way by 8.30, arriving at the aquarium by 9.30. So about 2 hours at the aquarium......sorry.

Thanks for the info. We will compare notes! Where was your cabin located? I have read that these ships are often filled with smoke, did you have that experience? Did your children go to the souk club? If so, did they enjoy it? I think thats all for now. :p

We were on deck 7, port side.

I don't think the ship is filled with smoke at all. The only time I noticed it was when I went to seek out my brood in the Sports bar. If you avoid the lounges where smoking is allowed you should be fine.

My children are older, the youngest is 15, so I can't report back on the kids club, sorry.

Not long now, the ship is heading your way. :)

Hope you are packed....Buon Viaggio :)

Archived