• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Bringing Distilled water on board?

BIG_Steve

Apparently NCL no longer provides distilled water. Although I'm not flying, bringing a gallon jug isn't going to work, and I've never seen smaller jugs. Can I just refill a (large) "spring water" bottle with distilled and bring it on board? I ask because in a different board someone said if water bottles appear opened, they take them on check in, without even doing a sniff test to see if it's Vodka or Gin.

I hope this thread won't turn into another battle thread about why distilled should or should not be provided, and whether distilled in nessasry or not. Just trying to figure out how to get it on the ship.

Thanks.

Edit: We'll be on the NCL SKY out of the Port of Miami

We have taken 7 cruises in the last 17 months on Holland and carry on water when we check in. At each port there seems to be people selling water as they know how expensive the water is on board. My wife brings her empty bottle up to the buffet in the AM and fills it at the ice tea dispensor with water. The dispensor's water has to be pure or everyone on board would get sick.

Also be sure and check that water from the street has never been opened and refilled. If you watch the scene in Slumdog Millionare they were refilling water bottles and applying glue to the cap, but if you look close the little connecting plastic pieces would have been severed.

The water on board the ship is equal to distilled water if using it for a cpap or bipap machine. There seems to be no problem with my machines and no mineral residue in the tank after 12 day cruise. I hope this helps for your need.

We have taken 7 cruises in the last 17 months on Holland and carry on water when we check in. At each port there seems to be people selling water as they know how expensive the water is on board. My wife brings her empty bottle up to the buffet in the AM and fills it at the ice tea dispensor with water. The dispensor's water has to be pure or everyone on board would get sick.

Also be sure and check that water from the street has never been opened and refilled. If you watch the scene in Slumdog Millionare they were refilling water bottles and applying glue to the cap, but if you look close the little connecting plastic pieces would have been severed.

Distilled water is not for drinking. Usually it is used for something like a cpap machine or other medical purposes.

I have sailed Celebrity, Princess & Norwegian and NCL was by far the hardest to get any sort of liquid onboard. There is a very good chance they will question your water bottle especially if it's been opened. But if you explain what it is and why you have it, theres a good chance it will be okay.

I thought that ALL of the water that came out of ALL the cabin taps on ALL ships was distilled.

The water that comes out of the taps is "desalinated" water which apparently is not the same as "distilled" water. Apparently desalinating water can be done through several different processes, only one of which is by distilling it. A friend of mine was told by NCL that he will need to bring distilled water with him for his C-Pap machine. If "distilled" and "desalinated" water were the same thing, I would hope that they would have told him that. :)

I thought that ALL of the water that came out of ALL the cabin taps on ALL ships was distilled.

No it certainly is not, on the newer ships it is desalinated and distilled but not on many of the somewhat older ships.

I need distilled water for a nightly sinus rinse and I am going to luggage tag a gallon and send it through with my luggage. I am not flying to port so this seems like it will work. If your doctor has said to use distilled water for whatever your medical reason is, I would not chance it by using the ship's water.

Archived