• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Aft Balconies - Freedom Class

We've got a choice on a future cruise on a Freedom class ship of either an E-1, cabin 9706 or a D-1, 1404...both connecting rooms, unfortunately....has anyone been in either room....do we get any sun from he 10th deck with the overhang...which room would be your choice, and why....we're Aft cruisers, but only know Radiance Class ships .... so any help, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advace...

Loie & Peter

We've got a choice on a future cruise on a Freedom class ship of either an E-1, cabin 9706 or a D-1, 1404...both connecting rooms, unfortunately....has anyone been in either room....do we get any sun from he 10th deck with the overhang...which room would be your choice, and why....we're Aft cruisers, but only know Radiance Class ships .... so any help, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advace...

Loie & Peter

I am also very interested in the responses to this question. We sail on the Freedom on Aug. 2 and we are booked in 1404. I am looking forward to this, our first balcony. :)

I have had 9706 in the past. It's a nice cabin with a great balcony. It's partially shaded, most of the balcony does have an overhang from the deck above.

My only experience with Radiance class aft is 1100, so I don't know for sure how much exposure the lower decks have and how it would compare.

I cannot give you feedback on 1404 until next month when one of our group is in that room! :)

Hi, Loie. I've been in 9704 on the Liberty (tons of sun) and 1700 on the Indy with about half day sun. The Radiance class afts are better for sure, but these are nice too in a different way. I'd probably pick 1404 - just for the size of the room. 9704 is an E and it seemed very small to me and my daughter.

We were on the LOS in room 9706 aft balcony last November. The balcony was very large with 2 chaises, 2 chairs and a small table. Plenty of sun, especially in the afternoons. We did find that the balcony was wet in the morning from cleaning (not really sure where the water came from but the whole balcony was always wet in the am).

The room was a little small (we usually get a D1 or JS), but the large balcony made up for it. It was nice getting some sun on the balcony instead of fighting the crowds on the pool decks.

We have become aft snobs. Just booked an aft on JOS in October 09, really looking forward to that.

Last thing...remember on the Freedom class ships,the walk to the aft room is a real hike, going anywhere from your stateroom becomes a planned trip.

All in all, I'd take the aft 9706 in a heartbeat. Have fun!

The room was a little small (we usually get a D1 or JS), but the large balcony made up for it. It was nice getting some sun on the balcony instead of fighting the crowds on the pool decks.

We have become aft snobs. Just booked an aft on JOS in October 09, really looking forward to that.

All in all, I'd take the aft 9706 in a heartbeat. Have fun!

Hi, Michael.. thanks for the comments.. a couple of follow-ups, if you wouldn't mind..

The room was a little small (we usually get a D1 or JS), .. we also usually have a D!.. one of the other respondents on this thread noted that because it is a connecting room, there is only a chair, no couch.. that seems funny to me, but could you confirm, please?

And

We have become aft snobs. Just booked an aft on JOS in October 09, .. again, we also are aft afficionados, and are on the Jewel repo Oct 27, 09 Boston - Miami.. that will be our seventh cruise (out of 18) on a Radiance class ship.. I think it's fair to say the Radiance class is our favourite ..

THX

Peter

Morning folks....obviously my DH was up earlier than me as I see he's already asked another question....but...thanks to you all for your answers....now I'm really confused:mad:...don't know which room to take...we're actually booked in 9706....but I too was worried about the size...and it's next to a Royal Family Suite which could have 6 or 8 people in it...which could make for a bit (or a lot) of noise from both the room and the balcony.....what do you think....RCL said it was more likely to be noiser next to the RFS.....oh decisions....decisions:)...

Vicky...I just noticed you were in 1700...that's also available...but the room shape looks funny...and I think there's a pole in the middle of the room....what's the balcony like....so now...which of the THREE would be preferable....(gee .... do you folks think I'm a little "nutty"???!!!

Vicky...nice to hear from you....why don't you 'jump ship' and come anad join us!!:D

Loie

It's me the bug again...one other question....are there sliding doors in cabin 1700 and 1404....or do they have the swing door and a porthole.....I definitely want a room with the sliding doors.....thanks again folks!:)

Loie

Loie and Peter, grab 1700 - do not hesitate. Call now. The room is as large as a Junior Suite and the odd shape is just fine. The balcony is huge and provides both sun and shade. (There are sliders out to it.) You can have your whole group of friends over for a party out there and in there. The pole is not really a drawback at all. Chip went around it just fine at night. There is still the small sized bathroom with a shower. We loved the fact that the closet is accessible off the main room not an entrance corridor. That, too, felt much less crowded.

The previous poster is correct - only the corner afts on 8 and 9 have the doors.

I can't jump ship - you all are going to have the best cabin. Seriously, we did book the Serenade for the itinerary (several places I've not seen) and the great price.

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL...for all your helpful comments...and espcially you, Vicky, ...for mentioning 1700....we are now booked in that room....and looking forward to learning all about 'poll dancing'...and enjoying the extra space and the large balcony....altho' we've always had the large balconies on the Radiance Class ships....so this will be something new....thank you....

I know the Serenade's itinerary is the best....we too would have loved that cruise...but it was almost impossible for us to get to and from SJ without busting the budget....I know you'll love it...

Thanks again folks.

Loie

On LOS, can you join the balconies only on rooms 9704 and 9706? I would probably consider smaller rooms for the aft balcony. I spend as much time as possible on my balcony, and love the sun. Also LOS has gotten mixed reviews for food. One said it was worst ever in April, and other before that said it was great. How can you have the same cooks and have such mixed reviews? Just got off the Solstice and it was excellent. Would not like a cruise with bad food. Any suggestion for me for the Liberty? My first choice was Indep, however, it is in Europe in the fall.

We had 1702 on the Indy in December and loved it. My DH likes being in the sun and the balcony was perfect for him and still provided enough shade for me. We have booked the same cabin for next year on the Liberty. Photos in the link below.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kathy:)

Loie, you will love it! I personally can't believe it was still available. We had a day or two with bad weather last winter and it was possible to sit outside and enjoy the view and stay dry. We got a pretty good deal on airfare to San Juan, but we do usually get lucky because of Dallas being a hub city.

Off to the tub for me. I was a good girl and worked in my yard and will now reward myself with a hot bubble bath.

The food is remarkably the same on all of the RCI ships---it's just that some's perception of what is "good" or "bad" food varies so! You certainly won't go hungry! If you like the food on another RCI ship, you will get about the same thing on LOS! Enjoy!

How about 6710??

There's a bit of a noise problem with 6710.. if you go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14087060 and then to the second post,

there's a picture of the balcony, and you will see that the deck of the balcony does not extend to the side of the ship, and is open to the deck below. Ship's staff use the area on the deck directly below the side of that balcony as a smoking area.. if you enjoy leaving your door open at night, then at times you will think someone is having a party on your deck, because the design of the superstructure turns your balcony into a bit of an echo chamber.. hope this helps

Peter and Loie

There's a bit of a noise problem with 6710.. if you go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14087060 and then to the second post,

there's a picture of the balcony, and you will see that the deck of the balcony does not extend to the side of the ship, and is open to the deck below. Ship's staff use the area on the deck directly below the side of that balcony as a smoking area.. if you enjoy leaving your door open at night, then at times you will think someone is having a party on your deck, because the design of the superstructure turns your balcony into a bit of an echo chamber.. hope this helps

Peter and Loie

Thanks for your help

The link below takes you to an excellent site by Bonnie Voyager showing a host of pics of the aft cabins on the Voyager class.. the aft of the Freedom class is essentially the same, excepting the cabins may be numbered differently.. you can cross-check with the deck plans for cabin numbers

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi?start=24

smiley6.gifPeter

• 1 year later...

I had my questions about 1700 which we booked for 11/2011 but you have made me happy. We love corner afts too but have never been on this class ship so was little unsure. thanks again!

Hi All,

I just wanted to chime in with our feelings about aft balconies on Mariner and Freedom, and also ask a question about the Radiance class aft balconies. We became aft balcony snobs ourselves, having sailed on 7690 on Mariner and 1700 on Freedom. We loved them both and have nothing but favorable views. I would say that the corner balcony was not quite as big as the ones more towards the middle but would stay in that cabin again in a heartbeat. We love aft cabins, we found them to be quieter, nice view, less wind, much larger balconies than the side and the walk back to the aft is good excercise after all the eating done on ship.

We now have two cruises booked for Radiance class aft balconies, cabin 1104 for both cruises. Would love to hear if anyone has had that cabin on Radiance and Serenade? We are doing a southern Caribbean in August of this year on Serenade and an Alaskan cruise next July 2011 on Radiance. Both times we fount 1104 available and grabbed it. Would love to hear what you think of our choice since it will be our first cruise on this class of ship.

Archived