• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Ocean Princess

MMEPhilly

My mom and I are thinking of taking a cruise in 2010 on the Ocean Princess. We have sailed on the Star Princess and loved it, so we were just wondering how Ocean compares since it is a smaller ship. Does anyone know if ceramics are offered on Ocean or if there are as many Scholaratsea program offerings Star has? Any comments in general about the ship? Pros/cons?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

:-)

The Star Princess passenger capacity is 2600 where as the Ocean holds only 670 passengers. The Star is 109,000 Tons where as the Ocean is just over 30,000 tons.

The smaller ships of Princess, the Tahitian/Ocean, Royal and Pacific do not have the added bells and whistles of the larger and newer ships in the fleet. Their small size is more of an intimate cruising experience and they offer only assigned seating (early and late) and no anytime diningrooms.

Sorry, can't answer your question about ceramics or scholarship at sea programs onboard.

My mom and I are thinking of taking a cruise in 2010 on the Ocean Princess. We have sailed on the Star Princess and loved it, so we were just wondering how Ocean compares since it is a smaller ship. Does anyone know if ceramics are offered on Ocean or if there are as many Scholaratsea program offerings Star has? Any comments in general about the ship? Pros/cons?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

:-)

We travelled a few years ago on the Pacific Princess which is one of the sister ships of Ocean Princess and on both cruises they had ceramics but not sure about Scholarship-at-sea. They did have computers-at-sea though.

DH and I love the Pacific Princess. It used to be based in Sydney over summer. When it was announced that she was going to be replaced there were a lot of very sad cruisers.:(

We liked the smaller, intimate atmosphere of this size ship.

It's very easy getting on and off in ports and it can berth in places that the larger ships can't. If you need to use the ships tenders to get to shore there is no waiting and no crowds (at least that has been our experience).

Having said that, the preference for a particular size of ship is personal and as mentioned by Toto2Kansas, it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that the larger ships have such as anytime dining (unless this has been introduced recently).

My comments are based on our experience in the South Pacific not Asia but I would think that the smaller ship might be ideal for some of the Asian destinations.

Enjoy your cruise whichever ship you end up travelling on.

We have sailed on the Star and the Tahitian/Ocean Princess. Loved both. The Tahitian Princess being a smaller ship only has one pool (if that's important to you). Didn't have anytime dinning; if that interests you, but and this is a big but..you get to know a lot of passengers and crew members. It was our 25th wedding anniversary so we went for an owner's suite so I have to say it was one of my favourite cruises!! Would sail on her again anytime. (I'd sail on the Star again too)

Thank you all for your advice and info about Ocean. We are just not sure. Previously to sailing on Star we were on large Carnival ships, so we have never sailed on one as small as Ocean.

We are looking at a June 2010 Iceland transatlantic cruise on Ocean, but since it is such a long trip we wanted to make sure it had the things we liked about our past Princess experience. We liked the unassigned eating arrangements on Star and aren't sure we would like having assigned times and tables again like we had on Carnival (bad experiences) so if Ocean does have this, I am not sure if we would be happy. We like the freedom of eating just the two of us or eating with new friends we make on the trip. I know we could eat at the buffet, but we enjoy the dining room service.

Any other thoughts about Ocean would be great!

Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated!

Archived