Beloved Alaska Souvenirs

DizzyDallasDi

What unique memento(s) did you buy in Alaska that you were still glad to have bought long after you got home? And, where did you buy it? I'll be visiing Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican and would like to bring home at least one special item that won't end up on a shelf in the closet. Thank you for your input!

Diane

We bought an Ulu knife and cutting board....just an inexpensive one but found that we use it all the time. We are going back this summer and plan to invest in a nice stainless steel knife. This knife and cutting board is especially the best for chopping onions and cilantro when making salsa.

It's a key chain with a rubber eagle. When you squeeze it white rubbers comes out its back end and eyes. I have it hanging from my lamp at work. Cracks everyone up.

Have a great cruise.

LOL...that reminds me of a novelty a friend of mine has. It's a small rubber chicken and when you squeeze it a big white egg pops out. Kinda gross but makes us laugh every time. :D

Diane

What unique memento(s) did you buy in Alaska that you were still glad to have bought long after you got home? And, where did you buy it? I'll be visiing Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican and would like to bring home at least one special item that won't end up on a shelf in the closet. Thank you for your input!

Diane

The DW really loves her Russian Nesting Dolls. We bought some in Sitka one year and then some for the Grandaughters in Juneau a couple of years later.

My favourite keepsake does spend most of the time in a box in a closet, but every Christmas I enjoy my Eskimo angel ornament that I bought in Skagway.

I also bought an Alaskan cross stitch pattern in Juneau. While I was stitching it and every time I look at the completed work it brings back memories of a wonderful vacation.

I have a set of silver jewelry -- pendant and earrings -- that are replicas of pictoglyphs outside of Juneau. Purchased in Juneau. My DH has a 14 kt whale tale pendant that has small gold nuggets embellishing the edge of the tail. Purchased in Ketchikan.

We went to alaska last eyar and got a seashell stained glass. It's so wonderful in the sun. We are going back this year and plan on going and getting a few more. We found it in Ketchikan. We also got a bunch of salad wood tongs. Everyone loved them.

I'm going to second the wood tongs. They were called bear claws and look like bear claws. My parents brought them back for us (we've never been) and everybody raves over them. We are going in June and I am buying everybody a pair for Christmas!

Only thought I'd add is to try to find something made locally. Many items in the stores, just like everywhere else, are made outside the US.

Saw this on the website of a Ketchikan merchant:

"(There's hardly more than half a million people in the whole state. Don't quote me on this, but I think that's like one person for every 5 billion square miles). We have a resource based economy. We mine for gold, coal and oil mostly and we fish and harvest trees (at least we used to), and that's it. So if you want an authentic Alaskan souvenir, it will most likely be a piece of artwork or handicraft, native carving, Alaskan gold jewelry or some smoked salmon. Darn near just about everything else is either made in Taiwan or somewhere besides Alaska. As a general rule, most of the locally owned galleries and businesses that offer authentic souvenirs are back a block or two from the dock. (Our gallery, bead store is a rare exception to this because we reside on the second floor where the rent's still affordable).

Ketchikan was recently named one of the top 100 art communities in the US. We have scores of artists and craftspeople here and if you're buying an authentic piece of memorabilia often the person you are buying it from is the same person who made it! Stay away from the jewelry and curio stores and your chances go up dramatically of finding something authentically Alaskan and you'll help our local economy out at the same time."

[/color]

My friends went to Alaska a few years ago and brought me back a necklace setting and a pearl in an oyster that I could open and pop into the setting. You don't know what kind/color/size pearl you are going to get, but it was fun.

Though, I don't know if this would be considered especially "Alaskan".

Good ideas listed on this board. Thanks for starting it.

We haven't been yet, but in preparing to go, I checked out TripAdvisor's 'Best Souvenier' listing. I'm not endorsing any of these, but found them interesting and offering something that would remind me on Alaska.

In Skagway, they recommend Hand-painted gold-mining pans

In Juneau, Ice cube keychain

In Ketchikan, Hand-carved totem pole

Regardless of what I buy, I am going to look for the emblems that show the items I buy were actually made in Alaska.

We haven't been yet, but in preparing to go, I checked out TripAdvisor's 'Best Souvenier' listing. I'm not endorsing any of these, but found them interesting and offering something that would remind me on Alaska.

Regardless of what I buy, I am going to look for the emblems that show the items I buy were actually made in Alaska.

I think it would be helpful to us first timers if someone could give us ideas on what stores offer the items you have listed above, don't you?

My coworkers, "expect" :) chocolate from me. :) So from most every trip, they get chocolate, In January from Cadbury in New Zealand, Oct, bars- in Spanish from Costa Rica. From Alaska- there are two favorites- Alaska Jack and Chocolate Moose of Anchorage, some have saved the wrappers, which have some nice artwork. :) And an overall cheap gift.

I always bring back Taku Smokery Sockeye Salmon, and Alaska Wildberry Cranberry Butter.

I think this is a great thread! Thanks for posting this....I have the best souvenir the photos we shot in Alaska were incredible. Out of 700 photos we shot only 5 were not so great. So--with all of those wonderful shots I was able to find exactly the shots that I wanted to get printed and I had 5 x 7 prints made for friends and family chosen for each person which one to get produced and then I bought really cool wooden frames and put the photo in for each person and gave them a very personalized gift of the beauty of Alaska which has now inspired them to think about making the long trip from Ohio to Alaska themselves. My favorite shots included an upclose shot of an eagle landing to get a fish out of the water --we got this shot when we were out fishing on a charter in Ketchikan. My other favorite shot was an alaskan husky dog at the Princess Lodge in Denali. The dog was very old and it sat outside a store at the lodge shopping area in Denali. I was able to get close into the dogs face and capture the dogs beautiful eyes. It was such a haunted yet beautiful photo!

My frames were white birch wood that I found at an outet store for William Sonoma and some of their other stores in that store chain. I paid a total of 5.99 a frame and a small amount for each photo printed. Everyone I gave a photo too has displayed their photos on their walls so I guess I hit a home run with this photo idea.

CincinnatiGal

The DW really loves her Russian Nesting Dolls. We bought some in Sitka one year and then some for the Grandaughters in Juneau a couple of years later.

Hi-love the idea of buying the dolls. Is there one store in particular in Juneau that sells them? We won't be going to Sitka. Are the dolls made in Alaska or are they made in Russia? Thanks, Shelly

I bought an Alaskan Nativity set, made in Alaska.

I have it away 11 months of the year, but still love it when I do take it out.

It was actually the most expensive souvenir I've ever bought for myself, but I treasure it (about $90 in 2003).

Good idea! I wanted to buy the Grizzlys (salad claws) and found that most of them were made in China :eek:. So I searched and searched and found some made in Alaska at Richters. They were $19.99(some others were quite a bit more). The China ones are much cheaper, but why buy something made in China while in Alaska?:rolleyes:

I bought Christmas ornaments for each of my kids and myself. They probably weren't "made in Alaska" but they are a reminder of our trip that we get out every year, and the kids will be able to take theirs with them when they grow up and move out. I also bought myself a gold whale tail pendant which I wear most of the time and really love.

We've been on four Alaskan cruises so we've accumulated quite a few things we enjoy. In fact, our fireplace mantle is filled with momentos from Alaska. We have three prints by Joanne George that I framed in a single frame hanging above the fireplace. On one side is another print by Joanne George and a print by Barbara Lavallee on the other side. We have another print of puffins hanging on another wall. Most of these were purchased at a gallery in Ketchikan. On the mantle itself we have two Memeluck dolls from Juneau, two sets of Russian stacking dolls (one set is a Santa Claus), an ulu knife, a Precious Moments Native Alaskan doll (they have two, but this one was designed by a native Alaskan and available only in Alaska), and an Eagle carved from red cedar by a Native Alaskan which we bought in Ketchikan on Creek Street.

My DW has a lovebirds bracelet (Eagle/Raven) that she really likes (from a little gallery in Ketchikan off the beaten path) and an enameled puffin pin which is a rectangle in the Tlinget art style which she found in Haines.

We are returning to Alaska this summer, but I don't think we'll add to our collection since the mantle is full and there is nothing there that we want to replace because they all hold special memories for us.

Only thought I'd add is to try to find something made locally. Many items in the stores, just like everywhere else, are made outside the US.

Saw this on the website of a Ketchikan merchant:

"(There's hardly more than half a million people in the whole state. Don't quote me on this, but I think that's like one person for every 5 billion square miles). We have a resource based economy. We mine for gold, coal and oil mostly and we fish and harvest trees (at least we used to), and that's it. So if you want an authentic Alaskan souvenir, it will most likely be a piece of artwork or handicraft, native carving, Alaskan gold jewelry or some smoked salmon. Darn near just about everything else is either made in Taiwan or somewhere besides Alaska. As a general rule, most of the locally owned galleries and businesses that offer authentic souvenirs are back a block or two from the dock. (Our gallery, bead store is a rare exception to this because we reside on the second floor where the rent's still affordable).

Ketchikan was recently named one of the top 100 art communities in the US. We have scores of artists and craftspeople here and if you're buying an authentic piece of memorabilia often the person you are buying it from is the same person who made it! Stay away from the jewelry and curio stores and your chances go up dramatically of finding something authentically Alaskan and you'll help our local economy out at the same time."

[/color]

This is exactly what I needed to know. I want to buy something made by one of the local artists. I guess the best way to make sure I'm doing that (besides looking for the "made in" stamp) is to ask. I adore kitchy, funky, arty things so I'm going to do some wandering off the beaten path to find some some of the local artists' galleries.

Keep the great suggestions coming, guys! Also, if you can state the name of the shop, that would be wonderful. :D

Diane

This is exactly what I needed to know. I want to buy something made by one of the local artists. I guess the best way to make sure I'm doing that (besides looking for the "made in" stamp) is to ask. I adore kitchy, funky, arty things so I'm going to do some wondering off the beaten path to find some some of the local artists' galleries.

Keep the great suggestions coming, guys! Also, if you can state the name of the shop, that would be wonderful. :D

Diane

There are two stamps. One is made in Alaska and the other denotes that it was made by a Native Alaskan.

I brought back a hand painted Christmas ornament painted by an Alaskan artist. I bought it in Juneau at a place called Gallaskins which I heard has since closed.

I also bought a small hand carved Totem pole which was made in Alaska and had a secret compartment in the back.

And BQ is right the famous Alaska Candy bars go a long way. My co-workers love them too.

When ever we bought anything we always looked for the made in Alaska symbol first.

Hand carved wooden bears, hand carved bone from a whale with three bears, and a gorgeous hand carved and painted Santa (Sitka) are my favorite souvenirs from Alaska. I love hand carved anything, can you tell. Also love my whales tail necklace I allowed myself to buy only after seeing orcas the first time. Humpbacks didn't count, I wouldn't allow myself to buy a whales tale until I saw the orcas.

We love to go to all the art galleries after our excursions. Also love a beautiful painting we bought in Denali of Mt. McKinley. Just incredible art work available in Alaska if that is what you like to collect.

It is fun to look for those free souvenirs also from those books you pick up when you are getting on the ship. I use my Alaska tea towels everyday.

We always visit Scanlon Gallery in Ketchikan and have quite a collection (8?) of Van Zyle prints -- I just like them, not for everyone. Ulu, salmonberry jam, spruce tip syrup for French toast and Salmon and seasonings... and of course doggie treats!:) Books and things for grandchildren.. we found some unique books 2 years ago at the Hatchery in Ketchikan of all places. This year we are contemplating Alaska Monopoly....

Archived