• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Considering a switch

Reijo

My husband and I have cruised RCCL only since starting our cruising life back. We chose them mainly because of the proximity of Port Canaveral to Atlanta and the fact that we LOVE the Royal Promenade and the Promenade rooms. I know that other ships don't have this feature but we're still looking into other cruise lines and wondered if anyone was disappointed after switching to Princess. Would appreciate your help.

We also love the Royal Promenade and find it to be one of the best venues on any ship. A couple pints from the pub and some cookies and croissant sandwiches from the promenade cafe and hello people-watching heaven. That said, some friends talked us into cruising with them on Princess and we have never regretted it. It's a different cruising experience altogether. Princess ships are a bit more understated and elegant in their styling. The clientel tends to be a bit older on Princess, especially at the times we cruise (off season). We like Princess itineraries and feel that the service on their ships is exceptional. The balcony staterooms are a bit smaller on Princess ships and their mini-suites are little more than stretched balcony rooms. Princess will let you bring wine and champagne aboard even at the ports of call. Princess dining rooms are open for lunch every day while RCCL's is closed on port days. We love the fresh water in Princess' pools too. All-in-all we have enjoyed both lines immensely (and Carnival as well as you can see by my signature) and feel sure you will too. Bon Voyage!

It's funny, but DW and I have been on ten cruises now I cannot say we have a brand loyalty. If we had to choose we would rank the lines we have been on in the following order:

1. Celebrity
  2. RCCL and Princess (tied)
  3. Carnival

For us itinerary is more important than the line we cruise. In regards to Princess, the ships are just beautiful, and very well maintained. They offer a great experience with thier own destinctive signature. On borad activities seem to be better oranized and more frequent on other lines. They have very flexible dining options, and offer traditional dining, anytime dining, and spefcialty resturants. Our favorite is traditional dining, however, they certainly provide options for all taste. We have cruised Princess with a family cruise and an adult only group and can honestly say that they they provide and excellent experinence for both.

I will not say that RCCL and Princess are the same, but in our humble opinion they offer an experience of equal quality.

Traveling69 had a very good response that sums up the way

that I feel.

I was a loyal RCCL cruiser for many years and was very apprehensive

about changing over to another line. However, a tempting cruise was

presented to me with Princess, and since that sailing, I have never

really been inclined to go back to RCCL.

RCCL certainly does excel with stuff like rock climbing walls, boardwalks

and the city-like promenade (which I miss the most). However, I think

Princess is more elegant and I especially like the fact that their pools are

fresh water rather than salt.

Ultimately, RCCL and PRINCESS are exactly the same. They both

are classified as middle-of-the-road cruise lines offering the best bang

for the buck. Celebrity would be one step higher, Carnival one step

lower.

My husband and I have cruised RCCL only since starting our cruising life back. We chose them mainly because of the proximity of Port Canaveral to Atlanta and the fact that we LOVE the Royal Promenade and the Promenade rooms. I know that other ships don't have this feature but we're still looking into other cruise lines and wondered if anyone was disappointed after switching to Princess. Would appreciate your help.

We did our first 7 cruises with RCCL, the next 2 with Carnival (with kids), and our most recent with Princess , with another booked with Princess for August. I am not a loyalist and enjoy exploring and experiencing new things. There are things I miss dearly about RCCL, that simply was not present on Princess. However my cruise on Princess reminded me of my first cruise on RCCL 15 years ago. All and all, a very beautiful and memorable experience. Because of the livelier vibe on RCCL and the the stunning look of the ships, I will still give it the edge over Princess. Once you make a change, do it with the intension to appreciate the difference. I see each line as being different enough to offer an experience that is unique, which is why I love them all.

First of all there is no such thing as a bad cruise, some are just better than others. Our first two cruises were with carnival and our third with RCCL. We both liked carnival better than RCCL and have our first princess cruise scheduled. I for one look at the price and port of calls first and foremost. A cruise vacation tops any land vacations in my book.

I think you really have to consider what is important to you. If it's features that only RCL has, then you may well spend the whole cruise missing those. RCL has the promenade, the action activities like ice skating and rock climbing, and big multi tier DRs. You won't find those on Princess, but you will find a classy and understated decor, freshwater pools, anytime or traditional dining, MUTS (on some ships), 24 hr buffet, 3 smaller and more intimate main DRs instead of one large one, and generally a lively but less frantic atmosphere. We prefer Princess, but we don't care at all about the promenade or the action activities. Sometimes posters come back after a cruise and say something like "All week we missed the __________ that we love on _______ cruise line." So my advice would be to give Princess a try unless you think you would really miss the features that RCL specializes in. Some cruisers can cheerfully appreciate the strengths of the different lines, but some can't.

No brand loyalty for us either. Over 20 cruises (usually only go once a year but have been going since we were in our late 20s), and we choose based on itinerary. Since this also makes us a past passenger on several cruise lines, we get the benefit of past passenger rates too.

Happy travels,

Donna

We have cruised RCCL, HAL, Princess, and Carnival. The "must have" for us is a nice dance floor. The old RCCL Song of America had a wonderful dance floor in the Oklahoma room. The current Princess ships' Wheelhouse Bar offers a nice dance floor. Let us know about wood dance floors on the current RCI / RCCL ships. Carnival needs to work on their dance floors and not place them in the middle of walk ways.

A rock climbing wall does not add value for us.

We have found that the real key is commitment by the management team and staff to providing a quality experience for the guests. In fact, the best regular dining room food we have ever had was on a Carnival ship, while the best meal we have ever had was Princess' Ultimate Balcony dining. We also found the worst regular food on a different Carnival cruise. The whole experience depends on the attitude and professionalism of the particular crew and staff.

We cruise when schools tend to be out so on Princess we see lots of young and multigenerational families. HAL had more older folks, with families. Our grandsons loved Carnival kids programs.

Figure out what your "must have" item is and ask around for that.

Archived