• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

naples to capri or to sorrento??

If you have never been to Italy, the trip down to Sorrento will provide you with an outstanding aspect of the Countryside. Oh, that is if you take the bus or car to Sorrento, if you take the ferry it is not the same. This may be one of those excursions that the ship has to offer and may be a good choice.

Naoples is a big City, like so many others. While nice things to see, it very much is like may cities n Italy.

Capri, well, the Blue Grotto....if the weather is not nice, you won't see it, if the tide is wrong, you won't see it and, you are getting of a ship only to get on a ferry then a put put to the Grotto. My opinion and it probably clashes with many others LOL.

which one would you choose? thanks.

If this is your first time to the Naples port, Sorrento and Pompeii by far! If this is your second or third, maybe Capri. Some people LOVE Capri, but after we went there on our second trip, I really love Sorrento more.

This is a fantastic port! A trip down the Amalfi Coast is incredible.

We did both in 07. We used a private tour and were 6 people in a van. We were picked up at the ship docks and drove along the Amalfi coast, which was breathtaking. Spent about and hour in Sorrento and then took the ferry to Capri.

In Capri we took a 2 1/2 hour boat ride, we did not go in the Blue Grotto but went all around the area. We would not do 2 hours, it was a little to long on the private boat but it was beautiful. Would do 1 hour.

We then took a hydrofoil back to the ships port. The cost per person was much cheaper than the ship's excusions and the drive along the coast is easier in a smaller vehicle vs the large tour buses.

My husband and I were on the cruise by ourselves but met the other 4 on cruise critic and did 2 other tours with them. Really works out better than the ships.

You can find a lot of recommendations for each port.

Enjoy!

We did Sorrento, Pompeii and Capri with Celebrity excursions when we did our Mediteranian cruise. If you are in to history you will enjoy Pompeii. We loved Capri. It was very relaxing and beautiful. I am sure it depends on where you go and what you do in each spot. We had the same tour person for Capri and Pompeii and he was excellent.

You are going to have an EXCELLENT time whichever you choose. That is one cruise I would do again in a heartbeat.

We did Sorrento, Pompeii and Capri with Celebrity excursions when we did our Mediteranian cruise. If you are in to history you will enjoy Pompeii. We loved Capri. It was very relaxing and beautiful. I am sure it depends on where you go and what you do in each spot. We had the same tour person for Capri and Pompeii and he was excellent.

You are going to have an EXCELLENT time whichever you choose. That is one cruise I would do again in a heartbeat.

AKS368, I'm planning on taking the tour you did on my next Celebrity/Solstice cruise. I think it's 10 or so hours, right? It sounds like you would recommend it. I just want to see as much as I can but don't need a lot of time in one spot so this seems like the tour to take to do just that.

AKS368, I'm planning on taking the tour you did on my next Celebrity/Solstice cruise. I think it's 10 or so hours, right? It sounds like you would recommend it. I just want to see as much as I can but don't need a lot of time in one spot so this seems like the tour to take to do just that.

Yes I would recommend it. I do not remember how long it was but it seemed like everything we did was long on that cruise. We needed another vacation after that cruise to rest up.

If you are going to Rome and you can do it (if they still offer it) I would suggest the Best of Rome (or something similar) It was another long one but we did the Vatican tour, went into the 16th chapel, the cathedrial, Colosium, Trevi fountain, and more. If you go to the Trevi Fountain there is a store there where you can get something similar to gelleto but it is called something else. If you are standing in front of the fountain, facing the fountain, and you look to your right, the store is over there and I beleive it was on the corner. It is kind of a U shape when you are at the fountain. So if you are are at the bottom of the U it will be on the bottom of the side coming down on the right. Now that I have confused myself :p I will say to get a lemon one. I wish I could think of the name of it. It is more refreshing than gelleto and it was so hot during our trip we needed all the refreshing we could get. ;) Anyway it was the most expensive excursion offered for Rome but it was well worth it. We figured it might be our one and only visit so we better see everything we could. We also had an excellent tour guide for this one as well. I can't remember her name but she was short and petite and had curly dark hair past her shoulders. She held a retractable pointer with a scarf tied on the end. If you go and get her consider yourself VERY lucky.

Have a GREAT trip.

I'm quite happy to disagree with Pete Coach about Capri. But we won't fall out over it.:) The top of the town (short funicular ride from the port) provides some glorious lofty views- and some exceptionally expensive beers & coffees! Fast ferry Naples-Capri, then maybe a ferry along the Amalfi coast, and bus from Amalfi up to Ravello and back to Sorrento. Every 30 mins, Circumvesuvius train from Sorrento back to Naples. If you want to stop off at Pompeii or Herculaneum (Ercolano), the train calls at both. Vaguely possible to do all with an early start & late sailing, but if time is a problem, lose Capri (so fast-ferry Naples-Sorrento, then ferry or bus to Amalfi)) or lose Pompeii/Herculaneum. Try to fit in the Amalfi coast at some point - it is spectacular.

Regards

John Bull

If we wanted to do Capri, what's the best way to get there from the port? We've been to Pompeii and Amalfi Coast so thought Capri would be great to see.

The easiest way is to walk over to the adjacent ferry terminal and book the next ferry (or hydrofoil).

Archived