• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Great Stirrup Cay

yogimax

We will soon be on a cruise that includes Great Sirrup Cay. Can someone give a brief overview? We have been to Labadee and enjoy it immensely.

Specifically, what is lunch like on GSC? Do they have barbecued ribs? Also, is there a local's shopping area?

Thanks

GSC is NCl private island. Nothing like Labadee. (We love labadee so its difficult to make a comparison)

Much much smaller. Warm beautiful water of course, lounge chairs with umbrellas--very close to each other in rows. Need to get on the beach early gets very very crowded. They do have a barbecue---dont recall ribs, the usual hamburgers, etc.

Although smaller we had a good time...Met quite a few nice people on NCL.

You should be able to bring up a picture, search great stirrip cay pics.

---NO local shopping but they might have a straw market like labadee cant remember.

We will soon be on a cruise that includes Great Sirrup Cay. Can someone give a brief overview? We have been to Labadee and enjoy it immensely.

Specifically, what is lunch like on GSC? Do they have barbecued ribs? Also, is there a local's shopping area?

Thanks

yes, they had a straw market, but we though the prices were high there. There is also picnic tables with umbrellas and hammocks further from the water that aren't as crowded, and the chairs can be moved. The island is large enough for their to be a 2 mile hike to an old working lighthouse, and when you walk away from the beach, you leave the crowds behind. Snorkeling isn't too bad and the coral rocks are fun to walk on, just mkae sure you bring good shoes if you want to do that. We didn't care for the lunch, suggest eating a big breakfast and getting on an early tender.

yes, they had a straw market, but we though the prices were high there. There is also picnic tables with umbrellas and hammocks further from the water that aren't as crowded, and the chairs can be moved. The island is large enough for their to be a 2 mile hike to an old working lighthouse, and when you walk away from the beach, you leave the crowds behind. Snorkeling isn't too bad and the coral rocks are fun to walk on, just mkae sure you bring good shoes if you want to do that. We didn't care for the lunch, suggest eating a big breakfast and getting on an early tender.

Mrs. Yogimax loves lighthouses... thanks for the heads up!

We just returned yest. from a NCL cruise and spend a day at GSC. One bit of advice I can offer is get in line early for a #1 tender ticket and then do your best to get on that first tender out. We were on the 2nd one out and had a tough time finding 2 chairs to spend the day on. Also, needed an umbrella which was just as difficult to find. If you cant make it on the 1st you may be better off leaving on a later in the morning one that way some of the first people to arrive may have had enough & be ready to leave. It was a beautiful beach & the water water was perfect - just a bit crowded.

We were just on GSC this past Friday and found it helpful to read the blogs...make sure you check out GSC under Private Island Heading. The best advice is to have someone get up early and get tender tickets for your group. I was 2nd in line at 7 am and the tickets were distributed about 7:45 am -the dailies said it would start about 8. If you do a shore excursion -yellow tickets -you get to board first without having to get a tender ticket.

Sit on the lower deck going to the island in front of the tender....that is where they unload from. You will have no problem getting loungers, umbrellas if you are on the first tender. The tenders can hold up to 450 people. Suite guests and shore excursions can board the tender first and then they call number ranges. It does get extremely crowded after the 4th tender arrives....but we had a great beach day. Other islands I've have been to (Disney's Castaway Cay) are much nicer in terms of being larger with more room to spread out.

You will be fine if you are on the first or second tender.

If you don't get off early, or prefer to sleep late, just grab a tender over around lunch time. Some people will be leaving by then.

If you can't get a lounger, they have huge inflatable rafts that you can rent to float on out in the water. Those work great to lay on on the beach as well.

Also, there are PLENTY of hammocks, picnic tables and other chairs (besides chaise lounges) if you are not picky.

The lunch buffet is decent, but the food on the ship is better (buffet foot has to be brought over from the ship). The lines can be long at the buffet too, so some prefer to eat on the ship and come over after lunch.

The hike to the light house is about 2 miles out at back. I didn't do it, but I heard the views are AMAZING and well worth it. Just wear good tennies and bring water because it could get hot.

If you want to avoid the early crush at the beach do the lighthouse hike first. (Bring plenty of drinking water! It's a long hot hike!) By the time you get to the pier at the far end and hang out there in solitude for a while you can hike back to the main beach and there will be chairs opening up again.

We almost missed lunch though, we got there about 5 minutes before 2:00 and saw the sign that siad they close at 2:00. :eek: I guess we were just so used to eating whenever we want... :o

When you get off the tender, turn right. It is alot less crowded than the other side. We didn't get over there until about 11:00 a.m., and had no problem finding chairs, etc. on the right side. We thought the food was excellent - burgers, hot dogs, bbq chicken, salads, and tons of fruit!!! Enjoy:)

We got on the 7th tender, and while the loungers were full, the sand chairs were plentiful. I would also recommend hanging a right when you get off the tenders. It was definitely less crowded than going to the left.

Food was okay. I know they bring everything over very early in the AM (we watched the crew tenders leaving from our balcony while having coffee that morning) and they need to get everything cleaned up & back onto the ship fairly early because a lot of the crew do several tasks & are needed back on board.

We didn't take the trip to the lighthouse, but I've read recently where the lighthouse is no longer working. I don't know this for sure, just what I read.

There is a straw market, and it's very cramped. It is expensive, but just like all the other markets throughout the Bahamas, you can dicker your final price or wait for another port where you can get it cheaper.

Just have fun, bring sunscreen & bug spray (supposedly the sand fleas can be bad at times). It's a very enjoyable day!

My husband and I were on the first tender out - he went to Dazzles Lounge (ncl Dawn) at 7:15 a.m. and waited in line for a while to get the tickets. There were so many loungers, umbrellas, etc. when we arrived. The food at the BBQ was just okay - no ribs,- hamburgers, chicken, rice, coleslaw etc. I thought that maybe just one time they could have given us something to drink - lemonade, iced tea. The straw market was nothing special - we bought some cute t-shirts for our grandchildren - reasonably priced. It was all in all a beautiful day, and I wish I was in that turquoise water right now!!!!

We visited this island in Sept. off the Sky. They have lots of food, but only offer tea, and ice water, I can't recall if there was lemonade. The water was nasty, it tasted just like coffee.:eek: I just went to one of the bars that sold frozen drinks and asked for a cup of ice. It was alot better! We also took our own inflatable rafts and gave them to some kids when we left. The vendors there DO NOT haggle. I thought the water was VERY rocky. I actually had an older guest grab baecause she fell over one, she kept apologizing I told her no worries.

We saw the cat while we were having lunch...i didn't think much about it until i just read this message...it looked very healthy so it must be well fed...we had a ball too...it was very crowded as it was Easter week and we were a party of 19 but we found a lovely picnic area under the trees with both picnic tables and tables and chairs and had a lovely time in the shade and those that wanted sun, went into the water...can't wait to cruise again...:D

We've been to Castaway Cay and love it (best part of a Disney Cruise), but it sounds like GSC isn't that good. Would we (DW, DD 9 & DS 6) be better staying on the ship and enjoy the pools? Then do the beach thing at Naussa or Grand Bahama Island? :confused:

Archived