• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Sea Snakes

Hot Chilli

OK so I know they can't bite you but I have a HUGE phobia of snakes and even the thought of seeing one makes me shiver (yes I know I live in Australia and could encounter them here but I do my best to avoid them).

Apart from the Isle of Pines, are there any other ports you have seen snakes? (land or sea) On my last cruise I didn't see any but I'm curious to know if anyone else has!

Hi there,

the Asia cruises are the ones for the sea snakes...twice we have seen "swarms" of them..hundreds...in the calm and warm ocean waters as we made our way over to Asia, from up the north of Australia... a very strange sight!.... add that to very unusual early morning sea fogs in that area, and it made for a very surreal atmosphere.....

S&D

If you do the amadee lighthouse tour at Noumea, you will see lots of snakes. They are on the ground as well as the sea.

Apparently they leave you alone and look quite pretty (well for a snake)

PS I am not speaking from personal experience here...LOL

"swarms" of them..hundreds...

Now that would be a sight! At least you were on the ship and not in the water eeekkkk :eek:

Luckily I didn't see any whilst in Fiji or I too would have quickly gotten out of the water.

We won't be snorkelling in Vila on this trip but didn't realise they were there. Our cruise doesn't stop in Noumea so got out of that one too!!

Great stories everyone :p

I have been to Amedee & have seen the snakes. Yes there are lots of them... Normally I am terrified of snakes, but I have to say that because I was expecting them, and prepared for them, they didn't bother me. And also because they were out there and obvious, not lurking in the bushes. I even got close enough to take a photo of them.

The only time I had a problem with them was when the driver of the glass bottom boat pulled one out of the water and started passing it around the boat. That nearly had me over the edge because suddenly I wasn't in control of where it was in relation to me.... Only thing that stopped me was that I was holding the camera! And I put that down to not expecting him to do it.... I've since found out that it's a regular thing - so on the basis that forewarned is forearmed.... Be forewarned!!

Apart from the Isle of Pines, are there any other ports you have seen snakes? (land or sea) On my last cruise I didn't see any but I'm curious to know if anyone else has!

I saw a snake I think it was on Dravuni Island, Fiji. (It was interesting as I think I first saw one on a palm fron up just as we where about to walk by it & then a local teen was holding one)

I did not know Isle of Pines had snakes! :eek:

OK so I know they can't bite you but I have a HUGE phobia of snakes and even the thought of seeing one makes me shiver (yes I know I live in Australia and could encounter them here but I do my best to avoid them).

Hi Hot Chilli

Where is your cruise going to? I too have only seen them at Isle of Pines but am curious to know where else they are lurking :o.

Hi Brossy

We are going to Luganville, Wala, Champagne Bay, Vila & Lifou...

Lucky you....no Noumea :D:D:D.

I didn't see any seasnakes at Wala but lots of those sea cucumbers :p.

I used to live in Darwin, and one consolation you may have about sea snakes is that they tend to only stay in one area, like they have their nest down below where they surface and just keep coming up for air.

Also, I have noticed a few of you saying "thank goodness you are not going to Noumea". I am going there for the first time in December on Pacific Dawn, WHY. Is there anything I need to know about the place, I was quite looking forward to shopping there, have I made a BIG mistake??? Also my daughter was thinking of booking the canopy walk, you know where they play tarzan and Jane for a day, anyone know anything about this.

Thanks all, this is a great place for learning.

On the City Highlights Tour on our first cruise to Vila (2007) a local ate a live sea snake at the Cheif's Hut (does it quite regularly apparently) --- the last time we went he cracked open a coconut with his hand ... hmmmmm

I used to live in Darwin, and one consolation you may have about sea snakes is that they tend to only stay in one area, like they have their nest down below where they surface and just keep coming up for air.

Also, I have noticed a few of you saying "thank goodness you are not going to Noumea". I am going there for the first time in December on Pacific Dawn, WHY. Is there anything I need to know about the place, I was quite looking forward to shopping there, have I made a BIG mistake??? Also my daughter was thinking of booking the canopy walk, you know where they play tarzan and Jane for a day, anyone know anything about this.

Thanks all, this is a great place for learning.

Forget about shopping in Noumea. Everything is very expensive. The markets are not so bad, but the range of goods is limited, although much more than the usual 'tourist junk'. I bought black freshwater pearls and a hand-embroidered kashmir wool shawl. It is too beautiful to wear!!:):)

Evon.

Thanks Ela, it was mainly perfume and the stuff at the markets that I was interested in. Sounds like you got some interesting articles, so that is what I was after. I hated Vila for shopping, only did the duty free and bought a few t shirts, but what you got sounds right up my alley. :)

Thanks Ela, it was mainly perfume and the stuff at the markets that I was interested in. Sounds like you got some interesting articles, so that is what I was after. I hated Vila for shopping, only did the duty free and bought a few t shirts, but what you got sounds right up my alley. :)

Hi Chrissy,

Do you know how to find the markets? I'll give directions in case you (or someone else) doesn't.

Starting outside the cruise terminal, walk to the right for a few hundred metres. The road curves a bit to the left and you will see the market which is set up in a few buildings with bright blue peaked roofs. One building houses fish and there are a couple with general merchandise. We found (surprise!! surprise!!) that they were happy to take Aussie dollars and when we were there they offered a better exchange rate than we had paid at the bank before we left home. We used our AUD and kept the francs for Tahiti.

We were told the market closes at 11am. Have fun shopping.:):)

By the way, the freshwater pearls were AUD100 for a long strand (I think they are the traditional 64") of fairly sizeable pearls. When we were in Lifou two weeks ago I saw similar length pearls but a little bit smaller, for a lower price.

Evon.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that Sea Cucumbers are relatively harmless to humans.

Their defense mechanism is mainly designed to stop other sea creatures attacking it.

They do a good job cleaning the ocean floor so try not to stand on them.

Best bet is to wear reef walkers or flippers that cover the soles of your feet to get protection from coral, rocks, etc.

Archived