• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

WorldPoints

Katesowner

I received a notice from BofA:

"We are expanding the definition of' Foreign Transactions' to include transactions in U. S. dollars if they are made or processed outside of the United States. As a result these transactions (posting on or after June 1, 2009) will be subject to the Foreign Transaction Fee, currently 3% of the U. S. dollar amount of each such Foreign Transaction. This fee is in addition to any other application transaction fee."

This sounds like the end-of-cruise bill w/svc chgs, on-board purchases, etc. paid with the BofA cc would be subject to the fee if the ship were sailing in Europe, etc.

That is what it sounds like.. Only saving grace maybe that the charges will actually come through the NCL main office in Miami. If that is the case then you might be ok. Maybe others who have sailed NCL on a European itinenary would be able to comment if the charges came through NCL corporate or if they were charged through a European based office. That could make the difference.

You might be able to request that the charge be made in U.S. dollars.

Over the last year, I made several trips to Europe and about one third of the time, I was asked what currency I wanted to use for the charge. I did not receive a FTF for the ones made in U.U. $$.

You might be able to request that the charge be made in U.S. dollars.

Over the last year, I made several trips to Europe and about one third of the time, I was asked what currency I wanted to use for the charge. I did not receive a FTF for the ones made in U.U. $$.

The notice says "to include transactions in U. S. dollars." I guess this is just another new wrinkle. As Zimomiller suggests, it's a good time to get another card. Capital One is looking good.

The notice says "to include transactions in U. S. dollars." I guess this is just another new wrinkle. As Zimomiller suggests, it's a good time to get another card. Capital One is looking good.

My new Capitol One credit card arrived last Tuesday. Appplied online and only took 3 days to receive it and I'm already for TA cruise! :)

I checked with BofA when this new announcement came through increasing the interest rate as well and I told the CS Rep that it would certainly make no sense if it were to apply to NCL charges which do NOT sail in the USA and neither are their ships registered here. I said the charges may originate in Miami though but they are foreign based, would that apply? She didn't even know the answer but had to check and came back and said it would NOT apply to NCL onboard charges. :)

Hope that helps! :)

Archived