• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Tell me about early May please

MikeNKim

We are booked to go to Alaska on May 11, 2010.

What can we generally expect this time of year?

Will we see much wildlife or is it too early?

Is the weather rainy or fairly dry this time of year?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kim

What can we generally expect this time of year? Bit colder

Will we see much wildlife or is it too early? Sea life and eagles

Is the weather rainy or fairly dry this time of year? Some rain and chilly

Thanks

Kim

Take warm clothes, salmon aren't spawning yet so not too many bears

etc. Are you booked on HAL ? They are usually first to go in. HAL still

goes to Sitka, great place, some other lines have dropped Sitka for some

reason :confused: Enjoy, Alaska and HAL re great

What can we generally expect this time of year?

Will we see much wildlife or is it too early?

Is the weather rainy or fairly dry this time of year?

Thanks

Kim

We leave May 11, 2009! (i.e. in 3 weeks) so will provide some of these details based on the experiences we have.

May is the 'Dry Month', on our last B2B in May it was very warm, for Alaska. We were told that Juno only has 35 sunny days a year, well we had 2 of them, it did rain a liitle in Whittier.

Wild life? Lots of eagles, the odd bear on the shores of Glacier Bay, and LOTS of sea life! Enjoy.:)

last year we went May 15 and it was warmer than most of the summer, shirtsleeves. Out of 11 days it rained most of one day while we were at sea and one evening we had showers. I would take a windbreaker/raincoat and layer as everyone says. Remember they sell sweatshirts and jackets in every port. A windbreaker and sweatshirt or a fleece jacket will work for most weather. It is not not very cold that time of year because it does not get dark. Seeing where you are from you won't have any need for a parka or other winter clothes. Look up how the temps are running where you are going to be before you go to get an idea what they may be. Roly

Take a little of everything to be prepared for anything. We went May 10th in 1999, and we had rain every day except the day sailing Glacier Bay. Anchorage was cloudy and it rained so hard and the seas so rough crossing the Bay of Alaska, I took photos of the waves crashing over our window. I was petrified.

Sitka was misty and overcast, having to tender, got a little wet, then walking through the rainforest, got REALLY wet.

Juneau was partly cloudy, then turned to rain. And finally Ketchikan it was raining so hard, my husband didn't even leave the ship. I raced to the shops right on the pier, but ventured no further.

Then the day at Glacier Bay dawned with bright sunshine, but it was really cold by the glaciers. The free split pea soup and/or hot chocolate was sure nice going down.

I was born and raised in Michigan, but now call Southern California home,

so while fleece and a windbreaker may be good for some, I was glad to have my fur-lined raincoat and a wool scarf as the wind and rain was really cold. And an umbrella is absolutely necessary to take photos, my husband would hold the umbrella while I dug out the camera to take photos, and put it right away again, so dampness didn't ruin it.

Already had one camera ruined in the rain forest in Australia, didn't want another disaster.

Archived