Best Place to eat in Alaska

luvtwotrvl

This is our third cruise to Alaska and this time we are thinking about trying some local cuisine. I love Salmon and my wife (trvlcrzy) likes Salmon too. Our iternary is below. My question is which one or two are the best place and where to get some local food or fresh wild Salmon while in the ports that we are going to visit.

David

Day Port Arrive Depart 0 Vancouver, British Columbia 05:00 PM 1 At Sea 2 Ketchikan, Alaska 07:00 AM 03:00 PM 3 Haines, Alaska 10:00 AM 11:00 PM 4 Juneau, Alaska 07:00 AM 06:00 PM 5 Sitka, Alaska TR 07:00 AM 04:00 PM 6 Hubbard Glacier Cruising CO 07:00 AM 11:00 AM 7 Seward (Anchorage) Alaska 06:00 AM 08:00 PM 8 Hubbard Glacier Cruising CO 02:00 PM 05:00 PM 9 Sitka, Alaska TR 08:00 AM 05:00 PM 10 Skagway, Alaska 08:00 AM 09:00 PM 11 Juneau, Alaska 08:00 AM 06:00 PM 12 Ketchikan, Alaska 02:00 PM 08:00 PM 13 At Sea 14 Vancouver, British Columbia 07:00 AM

I am probably not going to be any help, because I haven't been there yet, but I have been reading posts for a year, and the Twisted Fish in Juneau has been mentioned many many times.

http://destinationalaska.com/

I am hoping to get some King Crab, and Tracy's Crab Shack seems to be our best choice. Its not a fancy place. You buy your food at the window and eat a picnic table, and the crab is frozen...not in season in summer, but I still want to go. Here is her link.

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/index.html

My regular stops:

- Juneau: The Twisted Fish and The Hangar, both at the dock

- Haines: The Lighthouse, on the waterfront downtown

- Skagway: The Skagway Fish Company at the foot of the Railroad Dock by the cliffs

- Seward: Legends, downtown

• 2 weeks later...

We will second the recommendation for the Hanger on the Wharf in Juneau. Great salmon, Halibut, and crab (and nice beer selection).

We also tried a place in Sitka...can't remember name, but it was on second floor of building across street from parking lot adjacent to tender dock. Looked out over the lot. This was OK, but there are probably better options (probably why I can't remember the name)

• 4 weeks later...
My regular stops:

- Juneau: The Twisted Fish and The Hangar, both at the dock

- Haines: The Lighthouse, on the waterfront downtown

- Skagway: The Skagway Fish Company at the foot of the Railroad Dock by the cliffs

- Seward: Legends, downtown

We liked Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau (outside)

FYI, we asked for Legends in Seward and they told us it closed up about 10 years ago. We ate at Chinooks and really enjoyed it.

This may be an unpopular answer, but I think the best place to eat in Alaska is on the cruise ship. I got 3 plates of king crab in one sitting, and another I could not tell apart the Alaska prawns from the lobster tail.

I have to second the suggestion to eat Rudolph sausage in downtown Anchorage, though. Another opportunity we had was at a church in Palmer where we got invited to a potluck with the locals. We were church visitors, so we were invited without having to bring anything. Couldn't argue with the price. Someone made moose chowder. AWESOME!!!

I was hoping that would be the answer when I started a thread months ago about did they serve king crab on the ships? There were many many many answers, and all of them basically said no, and in and amongst the answers Tracy's kept popping up. So, came to the unhappy conclusion, if I wanted crab legs, it would have to be in port, not on the ship. If in fact, Carnival does serve crab legs, even one night, I will be very happy, and will more than likely still go to Tracy's because it got so many good reviews, and who can ever get enough crab!! Y'all can have your lobster, doesn't do anything for me, but I can eat crab until I get sick!!

Thought Tracy's was Juneau? I have only had crab bisque at one restaurant, locally, two different times. Connor's...don't know if it is a chain. I thought it was fantastic....the only reason I went back a second time was to get a bigger bowl and call it the whole meal. Anyway, that is the only basis I have for any comparison. I have seen some posts that said the crab bisque on Carnival was watery, and mostly just a tomato soup flavor, but I guess I will try it. Wanted to try Tracy's too, but if I eat a crab leg, not sure i will have room for soup too!!

In Ketchikan try Annebelles on main street. The best salmon chowder. I was skepticle to try it, but once we ordered it, the DW tried her best to hep me eat it all.

Thought Tracy's was Juneau? I have only had crab bisque at one restaurant, locally, two different times. Connor's...don't know if it is a chain. I thought it was fantastic....the only reason I went back a second time was to get a bigger bowl and call it the whole meal. Anyway, that is the only basis I have for any comparison. I have seen some posts that said the crab bisque on Carnival was watery, and mostly just a tomato soup flavor, but I guess I will try it. Wanted to try Tracy's too, but if I eat a crab leg, not sure i will have room for soup too!!

OOPS you are absolutely right, Tracey's is in Juneau. They offer small bowls of the bisque too :)

I can't remember the names, but we had the best halibut in Skagway, there were two restaurants when you left the ship and it was the second one, the first wasn't open. In Juneau we had an excursion with Wings Airways and there was a little restaurant across from it and we had halibut ceviche that was excellent.

Another vote for Tracey's in Juneau. I can just taste that King Crab now! We also got a scrumptious crab cake in Seward, but I can't remember the name of the restaurant downtown. Maybe someone else will chime in. The Office Bar in Icy Strait Point has fresh dungeness crab for those going to that port.

In Ketchikan try Annebelles on main street. The best salmon chowder. I was skepticle to try it, but once we ordered it, the DW tried her best to hep me eat it all.

I second Anabelle's in Ketchikan. We had the salmon and it was the best. :D

this won't help you find a restaurant, but a true story...we were RV'ing through Alaska and we had parked for a night in sitka...as we were walking around, there was a VFW offering a seafood dinner benefiting a local woman with a brain tumor for $15.00 so we thought why not....Lord it was the best food we had on the whole trip...fresh everything and tons of it, crab prepared 3-4 different ways..salmon, shrimp you name it...we always tell everyone we have the best seafood at a VFW in Alaska

Archived