Back from FL--Review of new Westin Beach Resort FL

cma2008

Hello! I promised a review of the new Westin so here it is. We arrived into FL on Thurs, April 9th after flying all night and morning from San Francisco. (no wonder we didn't run into very many CA people--it takes so frickin' long to cross the US!). Anyway, we took a taxi to the Westin and got a side room (#1151) with a pretty nice view of the ocean. At this point, we were starving so we freshened up and walked to the heart of the strip. We didn't really have a plan and ended up having lunch at Lulu's (in the same center as Hooter's and Fat Tuesday and CVS). The food was pretty good and the drinks were great! The perfect way to start our vacation! After lunch, we just walked along the beach and then went back to the Westin to take a nap by the pool.

Now more about the hotel... When we first arrived, we were greeted right away by the bellmen, the front desk and also the concierge desk (to confirm our transfer to the port). I believe this hotel used to be the Sheraton Yankee Trader. There are 2 towers but only one is open right now. The spa and Starbucks is not supposed to open until summer but Shula's was open for B, L & D. The room was a little small but is a typical Westin hotel room with that oh so comfortable bed. Bathroom was interesting with shutters instead of a real door. I have not complaints about the room except for one...what hotel room does not have a full-length mirror???? Even cruise ship rooms have them! How is a girl supposed to see if she's wearing the right shoes??? So, yea, that bugged me but I got over it. Pool area is a little small but I guess it's okay since the beach is right across the street.

We had dinner that night at China Grill. We've eaten here before at the one in Chicago and Vegas so the food here is always consistently good, however on the pricey side ($180 for 2 people with 2 appetizers, 1 main entree, 1 side dish and 3 cocktails).

The next day, the rest of our group was flying in and they were staying at the Harbour Beach Marriott. I tried so hard to get a room there but they were all sold out. After seeing that hotel, we were so glad we were staying at the Westin. The Marriott is much bigger and way too crowded. It was nice to get back to peace and quiet at the Westin. Also, the Westin is walkable to so many more restaurants and shops than the Marriott is.

Dinner on Friday night was at Casa del Mar. They were crazy busy and the food was actually really good. They had an excellent Argentinian guitar group that was excellent except their speakers were soooooooo loud that I couldn't even hear the person next to me. If they turned it down just a little bit it would have been a much more enjoyable dinner. Oh, I forgot, we killed a bit of time by taking a river cruise in the waterways. It was $20 each and it was a nice way to see all the mansions and gazillion dollar yachts!!!

The next morning, we had a quick breakfast down at Shula's (in our hotel). It is a very nice setting, over looking the beach and the food is pretty good except that our waitress spilled orange juice all over the front of my boyfriend (shirt, shorts and sandals). It was a bummer but at least they comped our breakfast. Our shuttle was on time and check-out was a breeze.

Overall, I would stay here again if I were in FL. We used points and cash so our nightly rate was $90 (not bad at all!). However, if I could afford it, I would also consider the Ritz down the street because it was just a tad bit closer to the shops. Do not hesitate staying here--it's a nice hotel. I hear the new W opening next door is also supposed to be very nice. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't recall a floor length mirror in any of my hotel rooms, through the Marriott Rennaisance a couple weeks ago. Nor did I have one on the Emerald Princess, also just a couple weeks ago. I can see what color my shoes are when I'm sitting on the edge of my bed, putting them on. Plus their either brown or black. If it's during the day and I'm wearing my Crocs, as long as they match each other, I'm fine!!

it is in Fort Lauderdale and they do not have free shuttles. they most likely have someone they can call to take you to the pier ....or just hop a cab.

i would get a cab from the airport too....although there are commercial shuttle services.....

Archived