• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Amalfi - Sorrento Itinerary Help

shoreboy

Nautica is in Amalfi from 12:00PM to 10:00PM and Sorrento the next day from 8:00AM till 6:00PM. Thought was to go to Capri from Amalfi, come back, take the boat to Positano and walk back to Amalfi, shop and eat.

The nest day, take the train to Pompei, come back and spend the afternoon in Sorrento enjoying the local culture.

Is this a good plan or does anyone have any other suggestions.

If anyone has any better ideas, I'm open-my first time there.

Thanks

You might consider the famous Amalfi Drive.

We have not yet been in this area; our time there this June is a very long port day in Sorrento, from which we plan to take the train to Pompeii and back, and then go to Capri if we feel like it. Then our next day in Amalfi/Positano is short, leaving at 3 PM, so we are going with some of our lovely new roll call friends on an Amalfi coast drive.

Of course, if we end up in Naples due to any tendering issues, we will end up going to the Archeological Museum with the Pompeii artifacts after our time in Pompeii.

The walk between Positano and Amalfi is very, very long and even if you were to take the local SITA bus you will face delays as there is a major road blockage on the main coastal road, a 1.4km stretch between Praiano and Furore. I have read lots of postings on tripadvisor about it. The road opens at the 45 minute mark of the hour, every hour from 5am until 6pm, Mon to Sat morning. There is road work being done there with nets on the rockface according to a poster in the tripadvisor forums. Sunday it is open all day without hassle. Some days it is completely closed, other days it is completely open so it sounds diabolical. So IMHO, don't risk it & catch a ferry back to Amalfi from Positano after your visit there. We were on Oceania last year, fabulous, with a stop in Amalfi and my husband and five year old daughter did an all day tour minicruise with a local company there, all the Amalfi coast and to Capri and we were back at 6pm and back on the ship at 6.15pm as this company docks right beside the tenders of Oceania. This Amalfi company was La Dolce Vita Charter and I see they have a website with the tour we did. www.amalfiboatexcursion.com

Cruisesheik.

When we were in Sorrento, we took the Circumvesuviana (spelling?) train to Pompei, then came back and walked around Sorrento a little. That worked out well, although you obviously have to do a little planning if you want to take the train. I have more info I can dig out if you want. In Amalifi, we took the SITA bus down to Positano, and the ferry back. We loved Positano, and the bus/ferry worked out well, although it was a little confusing as to where to catch the SITA bus. We still had time to see much of Amalfi when we came back - just walking around up by the old mills and such. We decided not to try to add Capri into the mix, so I can't comment on it.

• 5 weeks later...

We loved Amalfi--spent four days there last fall with an Oceania ship docked outside our window for one of those days. As others have noted, Positano is long, long way away. We took the boat there from Amalfi last--about 45 minute ride--but I have to tell you, we hated it. Seemed nicely split between really trashy beach area and ultra deluxe hotels high up the hillside. I still regret wasting that day, and not staying in Amalfi or going to Ischia.

We did take the boat to Capri from Amalfi. It is easy, and very much worth it. Capri is lovely and eminently manageable either by funicular/walking or taxi. Go to the Giardini Augusto, walk down the drag to Il Faraglione and definitely take a taxi to the place where you can get a boat into the blue grotto. It's a cliche yes, but absolutely amazing.

Capri will take a minimum of six hours, so you may just want to hang around Amalfi after. There are several very good restaurants there. I particularly loved Da Maria a nice hosteria just off the piazza heading straight up the main drag toward the hill. Also, eat as much gelato as possible because you will miss it once you get home.

Also, I really liked Sorrento, and think it's a much better place from which to head to Pompeii and/or Herculaneum. By the way, Pompeii is one of those places that I highly recommend the use of a good guide. It really will make it much more meaningful, and will conserve your time and energy.

For what it's worth, we had used a car and driver to get us to the airport, and to Pompeii and Ravello last year. I think the name was Benvenuto Limousines or something like that. It was not terribly expensive, and I think they also found the Pompeii guide, who was fabulous and met us at Pompeii for a two hour tour.

Buon viaggio

You might consider the famous Amalfi Drive.

We have not yet been in this area; our time there this June is a very long port day in Sorrento, from which we plan to take the train to Pompeii and back, and then go to Capri if we feel like it. .

Would you kindly post your experiences on the Sorrento- Pompeii train service?

We are doing the same trip mid August.

Didn't find the Italian train posts that enlightening from the boards for this particular journey - interested in the schedule and getting to and fro between the ship and station and the station and the Pompeii entrance-You can also email me at gawst999@comcast.net

Many thanks

Didn't find the Italian train posts that enlightening from the boards for this particular journey - interested in the schedule and getting to and fro between the ship and station and the station and the Pompeii entrance-You can also email me at gawst999@comcast.net

Many thanks

When it comes to all of my sightseeing in Italy, I confess to being a huge fan of the Rick Steves' guidebooks and used them exclusively for my three-week land trip to Italy a couple of years ago. The 2009 Italy book states that the train (the Circumvesuviana) runs every half hour and takes about a half hour to Pompeii. From the dock in Sorrento, you can take a small bus up to the train station or share a taxi with others. From the Pompei Scavi/Villa dei Misteri train stop, you turn right and walk down the road about a block to the entrance (first left turn).

Our experience with the Circumvesuviana trains (Sorrento to Napoli), was that they run roughly every half hour. Looking up the train schedule from their web site may not relate to when the trains are actually running. Just like the lane lines for drivers are merely suggestions, the train schedule for this train also seems to be merely a suggestion. Pompeii Scavi stop is about 30 minutes or so from Sorrento and from Napoli, pretty much the half way point. Google maps is a great way to see how to get from the ferry pier, where the tenders in Sorrento let you off, to the train station and from the Naples dock to the Napoli Garibaldi station if you are docked in Naples instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks

We went to Pompeii from Sorrento and back on Friday, June 12. (Just got home from four days in Rome post-cruise on Monday evening.)

Oceania provided a free shuttle bus from the dock in Sorrento to the main square in Sorrento, plus a local helper there with information and Sorrento map(the first and only time in our two-cruise Oceania experience). The Sorrento to dock shuttle ran until 4:30 PM.

It's about a six-minute flat and easy walk from the main square down the street to the train station. The train indeed runs about every half hour, and totally was on schedule both for our trip to Pompeii and our trip back. (I asked for and received a train schedule when we brought our RT tickets for 3.80 Euros each, I believe.)

We are not early risers, so we took the 10:37 train, arriving about a half hour later right across the street from the main entrance to the site. Be sure to get the very detailed free booklet describing all of the sites from a separate window at the entrance there (even if you do not use the audioguide). A wonderful 4-1/2 hours later, we history freaks stagggered out of this fantastic enormous site for the 4:17 train back to Sorrento. Fortunately the day was pleasant, and there actually was a breeze most of the time.

Enjoy!

Pam

We took the Circumvesuviana to Herculaneum last year and to Pompeii this year. Both times the trains were right on schedule. The only thing that could be tricky is to make sure you get off at the right stop since there is more than one stop for Pompeii. The correct stop for Herculaneum is "Ercolano Scavi" and the correct stop for Pompeii is "Pompei Scavi".

Just be aware if you are going there in Mid August, the entire country is on holiday in August. August 15 is a national holiday. I used to live in Italy when my husband was stationed in the Navy in Gaeta. We arrived in May and everyone told us wait until you see this place in August. A short drive to work which was usually 15 min. took almost an hour. We were on the Amalfi coast in traffic moving so slow that we could talk to the people walking along side us.

Don't want to worry you but would hate to see you stuck someplace trying to get back to the ship

Archived