• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Advice Needed- Family Cruise!

cruisegirl1974

We are looking to try a different cruise this year and were thinking about the Norweigan Pearl. We have done 4 Carnival Cruises and 1 Disney in the past.

It will be 4 children and 4 adults. The reviews are all over the place! Does the freestyle dining work with a larger group?

Any other insights are appriciated!

We are looking to try a different cruise this year and were thinking about the Norweigan Pearl. We have done 4 Carnival Cruises and 1 Disney in the past.

It will be 4 children and 4 adults. The reviews are all over the place! Does the freestyle dining work with a larger group?

Any other insights are appriciated!

Was there anyone on the NCL board who has done Carnival and Disney? Maybe you could post a question asking for comparisons on the NCL board. (I just say this because more people look at the cruiseline boards than this one. :) )

We loved the Pearl, it is a great ship. I would think kids would have a great time on her. We only had four in our group and dining was no problem. With a group of eight a couple of the smaller dining venues might be an issue, but in general you should be fine.

We just did our first NCL cruise in January and have booked another for next March. We had a great time. We sailed with another couple, and we have a 7yo. Our 7yo only ate dinner with all four adults two or three times on that cruise. He just wanted to eat fast (buffet or pizza or burgers) and hurry and go back to the kid's area most evenings. So it was just the four adults eating together most nights. We loved freestyle and not having to do formal wear. Our DS has always eaten with us in the dining room with traditional dining, so this was one of those relax and just go with the flow cruises.

That being said, I know the main dining rooms will take reservations for large groups, but I don't know what that number is. I know 4 or 5 was too small to make one there, but we could have in the specialty restaurants. If you guys want to to eat at the Japanese restaurant where they cook in front of you, you'll need to make reservations when you board because there are only two seating times and they only take so many. I would think that would be the hardest one to get a reservation for all 8 of you.

• 4 weeks later...

we did the star 8 day mexican riviera last dec-jan. 18 of our group came in from New Zealand, us 2 were from san diego... we had no problem getting a table for what ever size wanted to eat together. even same day reservations were easy!!! they were very easy to work with!!

Archived