• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Falmouth

ManM

I'll be on the Norwegian Jade in June and stoping in Falmouth.

Should I visit the cornish (Redruth-Camborne-St.Yves Bay-Marazion-Mt.St-Michel) or go to Fowey and Lanhydrock House.

I dont know where to go. I would appreciate any advice.

ManM-I can't answer that for you but felt sorry that no-one else had! You'll land in the harbour at Falmouth and be met by local tourist people who may help. Do you prefer longer tours or historic sites? Falmouth itself is a pretty little town, with short ferry trips across the river. Try hunting for the Falmouth tourist board and see what they advise. We did the same cruise on Jade, but didn't take any tours, prefering the local pubs! Enjoy-jocap.

Falmouth is just a typical little Cornish fishing town. It's just a short stroll into the main street which stretches along the harbour. There's no big stores, just little shops, cafes and pubs. If you want to spend a whole day away from the ship, I'd do a tour. We're not keen on that, so stroll around and go for a drink. It's the same the next day in Cobh-really you'll need a tour or catch the train from the dock into Cork, because otherwise it's just a little fishing port(brilliant pubs though!) Enjoy Jade- we did, and went back on her this Feb.-jocap.

Cornwall is my favourite English county and I’ve been to Falmouth many times. It is quite large actually with lots to see and do - many small gift shops, a Marks & Spencers, both a harbour and docks, a beach, boat trips up the River Fal, Pendennis Castle (one of Henry VIII’s) and a National Maritime Museum.

So there’s plenty to do if you don’t decide on a tour but if you do decide to take a tour, I would recommend the St Ives Bay and St Michael’s Mount one because you will be able to see the lovely Cornish Coast. It’s a lovely place to visit with fabulous views.

Lanhydrock House is also lovely and very interesting too but it’s inland. Fowey is quite small and is by the river so you may not get chance to see the coast.

I would imagine you have to tender in Falmouth, but, the tender would come in very near the town. I agree Falmouth has quite a lot to see if you just want to spend a day walking the streets, harbour etc. You can get a ferry across the river to St Mawes which is a lovely fishing port & very pretty.

Camborne & Redruth are old tin mining towns and not at all "pretty" they are both being regenerated and not worth a visit. St Ives is one of my favourite places & well worth a visit as is St Michaels Mount.

Fowey is quaint, narrow winding streets with small shops, a nice view over the river to Polruan and a nice place to visit.

Lanhydrock House is lovely if you enjoy old houses, its very well kept and the grounds are always beautiful. The house is quite large and has some interesting features, its been the setting for a lot of TV & films.

As I live in Cornwall, if I can be of anymore help please do not hesitate to ask.

I hope you enjoy your visit to our beautiful county (& the weathers good!!):)

Ray 66 and Pasty - thank you so much for all the informations, it will help me a lot.

If I decide to go to St-Yves, do you think that I sould rent a car and do it by myself or would it be a better idea to take a taxi. How long would it take from Falmouth port to go to St-Yves and than Mt. St-Michel ? Do you think that many taxis will be waiting at the port or should I book one in advance?

Its about 20 miles to St Ives from Falmouth but its not an easy route. St Ives in on the opposite coast line. St Michaels Mount is on the same coast as Falmouth before St Ives. Its a lot of narrow roads so I wouldn't really recomend you drive yourself. I'm not sure about taxis at the port, but, I doubt there would be any. I will have a look locally and see if anyone offers trips out from Falmouth and let you know. Does NCL offer any tours or do you want to "do your own". The traffic delays in Cornwall can be pretty horrendous and I'd hate you to miss the ship!:(

Ray 66 and Pasty - thank you so much for all the informations, it will help me a lot.

If I decide to go to St-Yves, do you think that I sould rent a car and do it by myself or would it be a better idea to take a taxi. How long would it take from Falmouth port to go to St-Yves and than Mt. St-Michel ? Do you think that many taxis will be waiting at the port or should I book one in advance?

I thought from your original post that you were choosing a coach tour arranged from your cruise ship. I didn't realise you were making your own arrangements.

Like Pasty says, you won't have the time to do both St Ives and St Michael's Mount on your own in one day.

Try using the Google Maps website to find directions and times.

Pasty & Ray 66 - Usualy, we prefer to be on our own but it always depends where we are going. If you would have told me that it would have been a good idea to rent a car, I would have done it but as you're telling me that's it's gonna easy to drive there, I wont. The ship is offering many tours to Mt St-Michel and St-Yves bay. Two of them are interesting me; one is a half day tour who is passing by St-Yves, Redruth, Marazion, have a look to Mt.St-Michel and come back to the ship. The other one is going to Lanhydrock House and Fowey. I dont know which one to choose because I would like to see the cornish but I am making this trip to visit the most beautiful houses and castle of England, Ireland and Scotland. It's a hard choice for me. That's why I really appreciate your advices.

Hello ManM

I have just looked at the NCL tours for Falmouth and in my opinion your best tour for seeing Cornwall and historic houses would be Fowey & Lanhydrock House. The other tour doesn't go in to St Ives just visits a hotel for a cream tea over looking the bay. Of course its totally your choice but, Fowey is beautiful typically Cornish & Lanhydrock house is well worth visiting.

I'm sorry I didn't send the right link in my last post, I'm such a novice on the computer!

Hope you enjoy Cornwall when you visit!

Best wishes

Pasty

(Make sure you buy a Cornish Pasty when you visit but make sure its genuine or it could be horrible!!)

Hello Pasty,

Thank you so much for all the informations and for taking the time to read the NCL tours. I truly appreciate your help.

I was waiting for your answer to book my tour. Fowey and Lanhydrock was my first idea so you just confirmed that I've made the good choice. That's where I'll go. Thank you so much again.

Here are some links for Lanhydrock House & Fowey, there are some lovely photographs on them, hope you find them useful?

www.westcountryviews.co.uk/houses/lanhydrock/lanhydrock.htm

www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/national-trust/lanhydrock.htm

www.westcountryviews.co.uk/towns/fowey/fowey.htm

www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/photos/fowey/1.shtml

I hope that you have the lovely weather that is shown in these photos, its not always that sunny here!!!:) Have a great holiday, please let me know how it goes.

Best wishes

Pasty:)

Pasty - Thank you so much for the links, it's working very well. You help me a lot and I really appreciate.

Seeing all these beautiful pictures, cant wait to visit your country.

Best regards,

We were recently in Falmouth on the Grand Princess. We tendered, and i can't imagine any large ship doing anything but tendering. We used Nick Lait of Exlcars to take us around, and he did a nice job with a van sufficient for six. We loved St Michael's Mount as well as Pendennis Castle right outside Falmouth. Don't forget to try a pasty.

We loved St Michael's Mount as well as Pendennis Castle right outside Falmouth.

Pendennis Castle is in Falmouth. We always enjoy visiting the castle as well as St. Michael's Mount (and also Lanhydrock House).

Glad you enjoyed your time in Cornwall. It is the most beautiful county in England.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived