Snorkelling/diving on Star Clipper (Ath-Ven)

FirstClassDiva

Hi everyone :-)

My husband and I will be joining the Star Clipper on August 17 in Athens for a cruise to Venice. This is one part of a bigger world trip and I'm so excited I can barely contain myself. Anyway I was wondering if anyone could talk about snorkelling on this trip. I love to snorkel and it would be great to hear about what awaits me in certain places and how they organise it (i.e off the main boat or tender?).

I have a medical condition that can sometimes impede my movement but I'm working out at the moment to be as fit as possible to enjoy all the physical stuff. Plus I plan to take special medication that will give me the best possible chance to move without pain. I would LOVE to dive also so if anyone can share with me some information about what is possible for a first time diver, I'd be very very grateful. If there's any way I can dive among the reefs I want to take it so to wet my appetite, anything you can tell me about this would be awesome.

OMG.....I'm pumped :-)))

Kimanie xxxx:D

The Star Clipper has zodiacs that can take you on snorkeling tours. They may offer diving excursions leaving from the various stops on your tour. For scuba, I think you already have to be certified. In French Polynesia, the Star Flyer offered "helmet dive" excursions where your oxygen supply is tethered to a tour boat. You wear a helmet and can walk around on the bottom, take photos of fish, etc. Lots of fun for non-divers but I don't know if they have something similar in the Med.

You mentioned your medical condition that makes movement painful for you at times. You may want to book a cabin on the Main Deck (preferred) or the Clipper Deck. There are no elevators so going up and down the ladders (stairs for landlubbers like me) could become a challenge. We were on the Commodore Deck on the Star Flyer for 11 days. We found going up and down the ladders every time we wanted something to be a nuisance. Stormy weather (probably not a big worry in August) can also make the ladders much steeper when the ship heels over and plunges between the waves. Of course, there are rails to hang onto but it can still be bumpy.

Thanks so much Roger. I walked about 4 km's along the beach today in my quest for fitness lol. I never know when my condition will flare but I'm used to pain and want to make things harder for me so that I keep my fitness and movement up. The worst thing I can do is stop moving :-)

I was hoping to gain some certification during my time on the boat but if not, that's cool. I'll snorkel. I was about to dive in the Barrier Reef a few years ago and went through the instruction on the boat. It got so rough out there just before entering the water and I'd recently had surgery to my stomach so the weight belt was pressing on my scar. Rightly so too, the dive master didn't want me to get in the water so I missed out.

What is the snorkelling like along the way? How deep is the water they take you to in the zodiac. What kind of sea life would I expect to see? Questions, questions I know :-) If anyone knows I'd be grateful.

I dont' know the specifics of diving in the Med but I can tell you that a dive certification program is generally offered on Star Clippers. The process is fairly time consuming, with lectures, studying, and testing but if you are committed to diving, well worth the trouble. Since PADI regulations are followed, you will likely need a letter from your doctor allowing you to dive. Have fun!

We will be on the Star Clipper on a B/B out of Athens. I am trying to decide if I should pack my snorkel and mask for any possible snorkeling. We will be sailing with Star Clipper on May 16-30, 2009.

Are there any stops where there would be good snorkeling?

Thanks,

MSEm

I have set up a blog site for our Star Clipper Eastern Med and Athens, Greece stay.

I have read there are lots of free are almost free Wi-Fi sites and hopefully I can post to the blog several times each week.

You will probably need to copy and paste into your browser.

http://travelwithemjim.blogspot.com

MSEm

msem2 at cableone dot net

• 1 month later...

Archived