It's the thought that counts

island visitor

Just had to share this with you. We just got off the Emerald and by the way had a wonderful cruise. Having cruised on the Emerald once before we knew she was a beautiful ship. The online travel agency that we booked with gave us a voucher to get a bottle of wine. When we presented it to our waiter in the dining room he explained that it was for $20 towards a bottle of wine. So we thought o.k. and chose a bottle that was priced at $24 and with tip was $27.00. Still o.k. Enjoyed a bottle of wine for only $7 and some change. We don't drink so had no idea the price of a bottle of wine. Just happen to be in a store after the cruise and the price of the wine that was $27 on the ship was $6.99. Like I said we don't drink so I had a couple of sips and our friends that were dining with us enjoyed the wine. Again, like I said, it is the thought that counts.

Look at it this way - with the $20 voucher you didn't overpay at all, you got it for the same price you would on land! I'm not a big drinker either so I would really have no idea if what I am ordering on the ship is a good deal or not.

Yep, that's the way it goes when buying wine in a restaurant or cruise ship! We just had dinner at a country club and my husband had a glass of wine for $9.00. That same wine - the WHOLE bottle - would cost us 9-11 dollars in a store. Crazy, isn't it?

Just think, since you don't drink much how lucky you are to have low bar bills when you leave the ship!:D

Yep, that's the way it goes when buying wine in a restaurant or cruise ship! We just had dinner at a country club and my husband had a glass of wine for $9.00. That same wine - the WHOLE bottle - would cost us 9-11 dollars in a store. Crazy, isn't it?

Just think, since you don't drink much how lucky you are to have low bar bills when you leave the ship!:D

I agree restaraunt or cruise ship. Liquor, just like jewelry, is retail priced at what is called keystone. Usually 300% mark up.:eek:

You will find the same thing with wine at any restaurant at hme. It is cheaper to buy at a wine store than when you are out for dinner. But that is true of anything. It is cheaper to do it yourself. A hamburger cooked at home is cheaper than one at McDonalds or any other restuarant. Doing your own oil change is cheaper than at the local service station.

In January we also had a voucher (from our TA) for $20 for a bottle of wine. We redeemed it at the Steakhouse, along with the rest of our group, who also had received one as a gift from their TA. The waiter told us that they do carry a house wine for the vouchers, and that is exactly what we got, for exactly the price listed on the voucher. And I have to admit, it was very good compared to some of the others we have ordered onboard.

I wonder if maybe all ships aren't carrying the house wine now that can be redeemed with the vouchers? I know we were told it was not on the menu, but could only be purchased with one of the wine vouchers. :confused::confused:

IMO the cruise ship prices are much more than restaurants for comparable wine.

Exactly! If a restaurant is totally out of line with their prices, you are likely to try another restaurant the next night, or the next time. However, the cruise lines seem to use the approach that you are a captive audience, and charge accordingly. In many cases, you are better off financially to bring your own wine on board, and pay the corkage fee. And for the fee, the wine steward will store, serve, recork and re-serve what you haven't consumed at one meal.

Archived