Smoothest Seas for first timers??

For those of you who have sailed quite a bit, do you find that some seas are much smoother than others? I have heard that the inside passage in Alaska is very calm, and I know that the caribbean (outside of hurricane season) is generally flat. I imagine that a trans-atlantic voyage would be rougher. What about the Med? The Baltic?

Basically just looking for which seas in general tend to be the smoothest for first timers and which are usually a bit rockier. Thanks!!

Alaska, even the inside passage can be rough, as can the Med. My roughest seas were on a Western Caribbean cruise in winter, not hurricane season.

It's all a factor of the weather. One week can be as calm as glass, the next week extremely rough.

It can be rough anywhere, at any time. Even the Caribbean isn't "flat"---hell, even the Great Lakes have sunk ships--and they're totally land-locked!

Whenever you transition from one body of water to another (Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic, for example) you will get some "chop". Wind causes it. Frontal systems, low pressure systems....

What the seas will be on any given day is anyone's guess!

It can be rough anywhere, at any time. Even the Caribbean isn't "flat"---hell, even the Great Lakes have sunk ships--and they're totally land-locked!

Whenever you transition from one body of water to another (Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic, for example) you will get some "chop". Wind causes it. Frontal systems, low pressure systems....

What the seas will be on any given day is anyone's guess!

our worst seas were on a western Caribbean leaving Tampa. the crew attributed it to crossing the gulf stream. the crew placed barf bags in the hallways. looked like luminaries. the other bad one was a December Transatlantic. rough seas all the way from the Azores to Boston

My first cruise, Alaska Inside Passage, was also the roughest, so there are no guarantees. There was a severe storm and our crew rescued 2 fishermen who's trawler lost power and was taking on water.

Roz

I am prone to motion sickness, so I consider myself an expert in this subject :o

Alaska: It can be rough during the inside passage sail between Vancouver and Ketchikan. It will become smoother after you enter Glacier Bay.

Caribbean: It can be rough between Florida and the Caribbean. It is usually okay within the Carib (assuming no hurricane). The distances between any two Caribbean ports are usually short, and the sailings will be at night time when you are sleeping. Therefore, a S. Carib cruise from San Juan is usually better than E. or W. Carib cruises from a Florida port for people who are prone to sea sickness.

Mediterranean: It is usually calm especially during summer months. However, you can get motion sickness when you are tendered.

Baltic: North Sea tends to be rougher. Once you entered the Baltic, it is a lot smoother. When we were sailing into Helsinki, the ocean was as smooth as a mirror.

Of course that my above comments are for usual situations, and the oceans are unpredictable.

Archived