Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

TeacherJenn - The Residence Inn downtown is OK, same as other hotels in that brand which are usually quite good. It's next to the Courtyard by Marriott. Those two hotels are really convenient to anything, unless you have a car. At night, they are probably the only thing in the area open. If there are any restaurants close, I'm not familiar with them. These two hotels are in the business district, but on the NW edge of it. I don't recommend walking the streets in that area at night. The Channelside district isn't too far away by cab (opposite side of the downtown core). There's lots of fun and eats there. The Embassy Suites Westshore is quite nice. There are photos of it on my Yahoo photo album for Tampa. The link is in my signature. At the page of albums, go down to the album for Tampa. Once you are at the album, go to the bottom and you will see the Embassy Suites there, along with the Double Tree Westshore and lots of more interesting places in Tampa including the cruise terminals. The Embassy Suites Westshore is across the street from the Westshore Plaza Mall, a really nice mall, which has theaters, food court, stores, and some restaurants. There's also a Walgreen's Drug store just down the block at Westshore and Kennedy Blvd, walking distance. I used to work across the street from the ES and people have given good reports on that location.

Terri102066 - You can't be close to both the airport and the port at the same time. They are about 7 miles apart, separated by a lot of the city and heavy traffic. I'd recommend staying in the Westshore or Rocky Point areas, perhaps in the Double Tree Westshore on Cypress, or the Chase Suites on Rocky Point. People report that you can get both airport and port shuttles at both of these places.

Remember - Ya'll need to take time to study the thread a little bit, if nothing but the last 4 or 5 pages. Lots and lots of info there already.:)

Ken

Yo!, Jessemon - I've completed my photo album from our Trans-Atlantic cruise. It's on my Yahoo page. Enjoy. Yes, we need to make arrangements to meet up sometime over there in Tampa somewhere. I'll try to get some ideas as to when it might be a good time, and I'll get with you. If the wives can't make it, I'll arrange to meet you somewhere over there. Later,

Ken

Good pics Ken.

So I have a question ? How many green faces did you see on that sea day ?

I always like to sit in that foward observation lounge and watch the ship go up...and down....and up ....and down. I'll even ask the bartender if he can grab me a banana to go with my beer.:D

Maybe we could figure a time when both the wives are out of town to get together...."JUST KIDDING".:eek:

Wife is in town til fall. Let's do it.

Jeff

I have looked around and checked, I think the two choices I have come up with is the LaQuinta Airport, the Holiday Inn Espress Hotel on Rocky Point Drive, or the AmerSuites Tampa Airport on W. Main St. Does anyone know any bad about either one of these hotels.

From what I understand the Holiday Inn has a shuttle that will take you to the malls and so forth that is less than 5 miles away, the AmeriSuites sayes you can walk to the mall and the LaQuinta Airport is across from the International Mall. Let me know if anyone one knows if these locations are correct. Prices are very similar.

I have also looked into the Chase Suites. It sounds nice, but not much to do in the area(I think I could be wrong) somebody let me know about places to eat we will be staying a day pre cruise and a day post cruise. We don't need intertainment, just a place to eat the night before the cruise.

Which is the best?

Terri

Terri102066 - All 3 of those locations are OK. The LaQuinta isn't a fancy place, and they have outside entry (not like the newer locations). It's kind of across the street from the International Mall, however you could get really sweaty doing the walk. There aren't any sidewalks on the main road there. The Chase and the Holiday Inn Express are separated by a restaurant called Bahama Breeze (good place to eat). The Holiday Inn Express is nice, and just as good as any of that type I've stayed at. I have stayed at this one for business before. Chase Suites is OK too. Several people have discussed Chase Suites in this thread. Rocky Point is rather quiet at night, but there are 5 restaurants out there: 1/ Bahama Breeze; 2/ Crabby Bills; 3/ Landry's Seafood; 4/ Castaways; and 5/ Rusty Pelican. 1, 2, and 3 are casual and reasonable. 4 and 5 are more costly.

The AmeriSuites is off of N Westshore Blvd, S of Spruce St. It's a few blocks to the mall in either direction, and is in the Westshore Business District. None of these are in a bad part of town.

Hope this helps.

Ken

dck12ga - I'm familiar with this location. It was originally built as a Wellesly Inn, as I recall. It was remodeled into the Extenda Stay. It's back off of the road on the SE corner of Spruce and Westshore. There's a restaurant out front, can't recall the name, but it used to be Houlihans originally. Also, it's directly across the street (4 lane road) from International Plaza Mall. Just to the E, a block or two, there are some other restaurants, the most reasonably priced being LeRoy Selmon's BBQ. It's close to the airport too. The area is primarily a business district.

Ken

dck12ga - I'm familiar with this location. It was originally built as a Wellesly Inn, as I recall. It was remodeled into the Extenda Stay. It's back off of the road on the SE corner of Spruce and Westshore. There's a restaurant out front, can't recall the name, but it used to be Houlihans originally. Also, it's directly across the street (4 lane road) from International Plaza Mall. Just to the E, a block or two, there are some other restaurants, the most reasonably priced being LeRoy Selmon's BBQ. It's close to the airport too. The area is primarily a business district.

Ken

Stopped at AAA Westshore right down the street from the Extended Stay.

dck12ga...if you are male, single and or without family you might like the new place out front. It is now a Gentlemans Club.:D

Now I know what took the place of Houlihans. :eek: Nix that idea.

Yes, the Extended Stay is OK, judging from all outward appearances and the condition of the general area. I've stayed at those places on the job before and they were OK. Nothing fancy, but still clean and such. They have a little kitchenette area for folks staying for days or weeks. These places are often popular with construction folks or other people in town for periods of time on their jobs. Insurance companies like to put people up in those hotels if they are victims of a house fire or a hurricane.

Ken

You sure have gone over and over all the hotel in the area. Now that you know more about the area can you just tell me if it was you where would stay? We are comming Sept. 23 by air. Always like a nice newer place to stay. Still like a good price.

Jessiemom, I am female, married and with family, but thanks anyway!!:D

Cracker Ken, so i am taking it as a 'yes' it's OK?!?! What would we do without you!! Have a wonderful Monday!:D

dck12ga,

Hope letting you know that wasn't a restaurant in front helped.

But...the name is "Jessemon" as in Jamaica "Mon" not as in Jessiemom like I'm someones "Mother":D ;)

Jeff

I am not sure (marriott) courtyard downtown ?or the westshore near the airport ? I want to be able to do some shopping see Ybor, streetcars and enjoy the area. which one???? This is a special trip for my daughter and myself. We also will not have a car. Please help

Thank you in advance

Ken,

I have seen your name come up many times around the CC boards and wanted to ask you a question about Tampa. We will be cruisin on the Miracle in August and have booked a room at the Marriott Courtyard in Tampa. Just curious is you have checked it out and if it is close to the cruise terminal? :confused: I want the hotel to be extremely clean and comfortable. I appreciate any advise you may have. I am pretty new to the boards and maneuvering through here can be cumbersome. :)

So if I scratch the Marriott Courtyard downtown is there anything else that someone could suggest in the downtown core. I am afraid to bid on priceline for the downtown area and end up with the Courtyard.

This is without going into details a very important trip for my daughter who is 32 and myself I want it to be wonderful start to finish.

We really enjoyed the Hampton downtown. It was right on the trolley line and they had a shuttle to the port. They didn't do the airport but a taxi was only $25.00 from the airport to the hotel. We took the trolley to Channelside for dinner and then downtown to walk around. We couldn't go into the clubs because of our teenagers but they sure got a kick out of looking around. The hotel itself was very nice.

Thanks HeidiHo. That's a great suggestion regarding the Hampton Innin Ybor City. I covered that, and the area, in detail back on the thread a ways, probably several times. I recommended that to someone on another thread yesterday. The street car is cheap too. Nobody has said, and I haven't tried it, but if someone doesn't have much luggage, you could probably catch the street car from the Hampton to the cruise terminal. I don't know what their policy is on taking luggage on the street cars, and it would also depend on schedules.

Ken