Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Jessemon - Hi there. I see you are frequenting the thread these days. Hope all is well. I have a B2B on Glory coming up at the end of Nov.

While a decent hotel in a nice area (shopping, restaurants), that Comfort Suites on Adamo Drive is like, on the other side of the world from the Tampa airport. You can find nice places to stay on the airport side of town, so why waste money on taxi fares???

There are Hampton Inn's, Double Tree, Holiday Inn Express, Chase Suites, Springhill Suites, Sailport Resort, and more, on the W side of town closer to the airport.

$11 sounds too good to be true, and you will probably lose a lot of what you saved just on taxi fares.

By the way - for folks driving into Tampa, planning to park at the port, the Adamo Drive area is not a bad idea. For fliers, not so good.

Ken

Hey Ken...Got my Liberty cruise in October with the S&S group.....I think it will be a great time.

Planning to do the S&S 4 on the Destiny next Oct. also....

Check out the prices on the group trips with CC.

9 nights and cheap...........;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading this thread over the last few days. I am planning a birthday cruise for my wife's 50th next December 08. We will likely be a group of people from different parts of the country so knowing the hotel options and all the ideas are great - so here is where I am thinking now.

I want to have a birthday dinner party at the Columbia in Ybor City. I want there to be shuttle service to the cruise line - guess just a bit hyper and dont want to have to worry that part. It would be nice if Shuttle to the hotel is provided but that is the last of my worries. So here are my options so far.

Since we are a group - we can take advantage of the Suites at Residence Inn. a 2 BR Suite is $151 a night including breakfast and shuttle service to cruise. They also provide shuttle service within a 2 mile (I think) radius from the hotel - this includes the Columbia on the east side of Ybor. I would also expect this to include Channelside.

The second option is Hampton inn. It looks to be in walking distance of the Columbia Restaurant and they do have shuttle service to the pier. This runs $99 a night per room (double occupancy).

So there I am - leaning strongly towards the residence inn. I still have to figure out transportation options to the hotel from the airport. I checked into a few van/limo services and they were -ok- but nothing special. any ideas there? I think someone posted that a Cab was in the $20 range - is there additional cost for more then one passenger.

Lastly - I cannot express my gratidude enough. This link has really gone a long way to alleviating any concerns I have had - thank you again.

Don

I checked into a few van/limo services and they were -ok- but nothing special. any ideas there? I think someone posted that a Cab was in the $20 range - is there additional cost for more then one passenger.

The price for a taxi is, or was last spring, $22 flat rate, that's from the airport to downtown. Likewise, the same rate applies from pier to airport. That is for one person to as many as they will take. (Most cities will only allow five people per fare.) Van taxis are quite common in Tampa, so you don't have to worry about how much luggage you have. Our group of four and luggage will not fit in a regular taxi, without holding things on our laps. Using taxis would be an advantage, if your party is coming from different locations, and arriving at different times.

We stayed at the Residence Inn, would recommend it to you, but don't know anything about the Hampton Inn. Got rooms for $65 per night on Priceline. That was for the single rooms, but still less than Hampton Inn or less than half of the Residence.

peanutgirl,

Despite mixed reviews from others, we found the hotel to be adequate and the price is right. The location is great-you can walk to the International Plaza and Westshore malls. It is also on the bus line. We are staying there again in April.

Happy Sails to you

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Have a question and was hoping someone with experience could hep me out with. Won Extended Stay Deluxe Tampa - Airport - N. West Shore Blvd. on Priceline for $39.00 night before cruise. A little leery of this hotel due to mixed reviews and low price. I am considering as alternatives the Chase Suites (due to free shuttle from and to airport and cruise terminal) or Embassy Suites Downtown (location and quality). I know I would lose the $39.00, but was wondering if it would be worth it. Any advise would be worth it. We will be flying in and wouyld probable be using cabs (unless we go with Chase) for transportation. Thanks

Have a question and was hoping someone with experience could hep me out with. Won Extended Stay Deluxe Tampa - Airport - N. West Shore Blvd. on Priceline for $39.00 night before cruise. A little leery of this hotel due to mixed reviews and low price. I am considering as alternatives the Chase Suites (due to free shuttle from and to airport and cruise terminal) or Embassy Suites Downtown (location and quality). I know I would lose the $39.00, but was wondering if it would be worth it. Any advise would be worth it. We will be flying in and wouyld probable be using cabs (unless we go with Chase) for transportation. Thanks

Don't know about Embassy but we stayed at Chase Suites last March. It was great! The suites were really big (we were four people) and the breakfast the next day was good. They even had hot make your own waffles which was a nice touch. Shuttle was prompt too. The only problem with the place is the restaurant (which is fabulous) was SO busy that we didn't want to wait 2 hours so wound up ordering it as a take out and ate it back at the suite. Not too bad really but I wanted to go to that restaurant. Can't think of the name of it but it was Caribbean themed and really popular. Portions were a tad large though - got us ready for cruising though! LOL

Don't know about Embassy but we stayed at Chase Suites last March. It was great! The suites were really big (we were four people) and the breakfast the next day was good. They even had hot make your own waffles which was a nice touch. Shuttle was prompt too. The only problem with the place is the restaurant (which is fabulous) was SO busy that we didn't want to wait 2 hours so wound up ordering it as a take out and ate it back at the suite. Not too bad really but I wanted to go to that restaurant. Can't think of the name of it but it was Caribbean themed and really popular. Portions were a tad large though - got us ready for cruising though! LOL

Embassy Suites downtown is less than a year old and very nice. Many things to do from there using the trolly system. Everyone that talks about Chase Suites loves it. The restaraunt next door is the Bahama Breeze....

Good place.....

Thanks for the info/advise. Think we will eat the $39.00 and switch to either the Embassy or Chase. Just not sure yet which. Shuttle service and great reviews are plusses for Chase (not tho mention dinner at the Bahama Breeze) and location--and the fact it is brand new, with manager reception and full breakfast buffet--are plusses for the Embassy. Thanks again

Anyone knows if there are any decent restaurants within walking distance to the Emnassy Suites downtown??
Just hop on the trolly and go over to Channelside. You can walk it to. Only 3 or 4 blocks. Or take the trolly to Ybor City. You can google both for things to do.;)

Just hop on the trolly and go over to Channelside. You can walk it to. Only 3 or 4 blocks. Or take the trolly to Ybor City. You can google both for things to do.;)

Thanks. Would it be practical to use the trolley to go from the hotel (Embassy Suites) to the ship. We will probably have 2 large suitcases plus carry-ons?

Thanks. Would it be practical to use the trolley to go from the hotel (Embassy Suites) to the ship. We will probably have 2 large suitcases plus carry-ons?

you could probably do it..others have....i didn't see the actual entrance to the terminal when i was there, but it seems like it would be maybe a block or so from the trolley stop into the terminal.....not sure how 'luggage friendly' the trolley cars are though.....(with regards to climbing aboard)

Hi,

I am looking to book a one night hotel stay pre-cruise in February. We are a family of 4 and would ideally like a nice place (like an Embassy Suites), with a shuttle to the pier and airport and a breakfast. Last time, we stayed at the Embassy Suites Westshore. It was fine, but a bit far from the pier and didn't have a shuttle. This time, I checked the downtown location for Embassy Suites, but it was sold out. Are there any other recommendations for a similar type hotel in a decent location (not too far away and someplace we would feel comfortable walking around).

Thanks for your help!

you could try the marriott waterside ...gorgeous! there are other places out by the airport/westshore area, but i am not sure about whether they have a shuttle..

downtown you could walk, take the trolley/streetcar or bus, or cab.....and the area around the embassy and marriott is fine. there is also a westin nearby but iIRC it needs some renovating.....

by the airport, people have mentioned the chase suites (which was a residence inn-the old style with separate buildings) and i think someone said they had a shuttle but i don;t remember,.......i would think that most of the places are not going to have shuttles, but a cab to the pier should be, maybe $25 per cab give or take......

Taxis are waiting right outside the Embassy. $6.00 to the port.

Chris

bookworm61 - The biggest problem you have are the transportation needs. It's not easy to find a place who will do all your transportation. The Chase Suites on Rocky Point, near the airport, has a package that will do that for you. If you happen to reserve with them, do it the old fashioned way, by telephone and be very clear with them that you want the transport package and describe it. The Chase Suites is in a nice area, primarily a business park with a few nice hotels, and some nearby restaurants. There is a Bahama Breeze Restaurant right next door, joining the property. That's all there is out there at Rocky Point - that's where my office is located and I'm there frequently.

Chase is the only I can think of at the moment that provides this sort of transport deal.

The Marriott Waterside is indeed a very nice hotel and quite close to the peir. It's expensive though, especially in the high season (Fall/Winter). The Marriott Waterside (right on the channel downtown) and the Embassy Suites downtown, are separated by the street car station. There are street car stops at the cruise terminals - very close to the entrance, less than a block. I don't know what kind of experience people have had trying to get their luggage on the street cars - I'm sure it can be done, somehow. A taxi for this short distance would be quite cheap though.

Ken

I have read many reviews on the different hotels available for pre cruising in Tampa. Right now we have reservations at the Hampton Inn the night before our cruise. Can anyone tell me what it is close to (restrauants, stores, etc)? We wanted to go someplace that night and watch the LSU/Alabama game and I am concerned there is no place like this close to the Hampton Inn. We are thinking about changing to the Express. Thanks. :)

Can anyone give me some info on the WestShore HOtel...it has a cruise package with transportation to and from pier and free shuttle service from the airport..it has been recently renovated, but read its next to a strip joint...

Has anyone stayed there.

Linda

Westshore Hotel - This just recently was renovated and changed over from being a Best Western. I haven't been inside, but it looks nice outside. One of the posters said they have a restaurant there. Their is a strip joint on Westshore, but from all appearances, it's a quiet place, kind of a "gentlemans club." I haven't heard of any rowdiness there. I can't recall if it's right next door or not, but in any instance, I don't think there's anything that it will bother your or your family at all. The hotel is in the Westshore Business District. There are malls a short distance both to the N and S of you, and some other closeby restaurants of various types.

Ken

Westshore Hotel - This just recently was renovated and changed over from being a Best Western. I haven't been inside, but it looks nice outside. One of the posters said they have a restaurant there. Their is a strip joint on Westshore, but from all appearances, it's a quiet place, kind of a "gentlemans club." I haven't heard of any rowdiness there. I can't recall if it's right next door or not, but in any instance, I don't think there's anything that it will bother your or your family at all. The hotel is in the Westshore Business District. There are malls a short distance both to the N and S of you, and some other closeby restaurants of various types.

Ken

Thanks so much for the info...

Linda

Which Hampton Inn did you reserve. There are several around town. Let me know which one and I'll give you the scoop.

Ken

Ken, I am also looking into the Hampton Inn and suites ybor city. Is this a nice place...near food and drinks..:D We are trying to get group rates and this one had a good rate as well as some others.

How much would a taxi ride from the airport be about?

Do you know of any passenger van service that would be good?

Thanks

Linda

linsue1231 - That is a nice Hampton Inn. Neat place. It isn't but a couple of years old. Nicely located too. About a mile from the cruise terminals. The outside is designed to fit into the architecture of the Ybor City Historic District. It is across the street from the street car garage and it's quite convenient to get on the street car line. Street cars are relatively cheap. This hotel is on the Western fringe of the Ybor City party area. There is an entertainment complex called Centro Ybor that's close, along with the Spaghetti Warehouse Restaurant and others. You could take the street car down to the E end around 8th Ave and 20th St and walk a block to the Columbia Restaurant on 7th Ave at 21st St, an old and very unique Tampa restaurant that is quite nice (Spanish and Latin food). You could also take a street car ride to the W. and S. and go to the Channelside complex where there are shops, restaurants and night clubs, the FL Aquarium, etc (and that's where the cruise terminals are located).

On 7th Ave through Ybor City, there are numerous bars and night clubs, of various types. They block off the street on Saturday nights. Ybor City can have it's share of problems at night, especially Saturday night. Often there are kids or groups of them that roam the area looking for trouble, and often find it. I would never be out on the streets of Ybor City at night, never - but that's me. I'm not into the bar/club scene at all.

You can certainly enjoy your hotel, Channelside (a really nice place), the Aquarium, the Spaghetti Warehouse, and Centro Ybor, without getting into the mess on 7th. Just be careful and watchful if out late at night. If you have concerns, I'd recommend getting on the street car and going down to the Channelside complex. NOTE: Be sure to check the times of operation of the street car line - you don't want to go down to Channelside and decide to return after the street car line shuts down, since you would then need a more expensive taxi.

It would be about $22-25 for a cab from the airport.

Here's a link to the Tampa Bay Shuttle:

http://www.tampabayshuttle.com/[url=http://www.tampabayshuttle.com/][/url]

This is a good service. They also have Super Shuttle at the airport. The Tampa Bay Shuttle is the one that is hooked up with the cruise lines at the port. They are good.

Here's links to the other things I mentioned:

TECO Street Car Line: http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

Channelside Bay Plaza: http://www.channelsidetampa.com/

Columbia Restaurant: http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

Old Spaghetti Warehouse: http://www.meatballs.com/location_results.asp?State=FL&City=Tampa&Concept=SWH&start=1

Florida Aquarium: http://www.flaquarium.org/

Here's a link to my Tampa album on my Flickr photo web page. There are some Channelside photos in the batch. The Channelside neighborhood is chaning and building up quite a bit, so some of my pics may be somewhat dated, the Aqaurium and the complex is still the same though.

I base all the info I've offered here on the fact that I was born, raised, and still live near Tampa. I've worked in and around Tampa all my working life (still do). I also worked in law enforcement based out of Tampa and Ybor City for 20 years. So, I kind of know the area pretty well.

Hope this helps. Y'all have fun.

Ken

Ken-

How much would it be for a cab from the Hampton Inn to the Columbia? I really want to go to the Columbia when I'm in Tampa, but due to my flights being on the late side probably will go for a 7 PM reservation time.

You mentioned the Spaghetti Warehouse, how is the food there? What are the prices like?

linsue1231 - That is a nice Hampton Inn. Neat place. It isn't but a couple of years old. Nicely located too. About a mile from the cruise terminals. The outside is designed to fit into the architecture of the Ybor City Historic District. It is across the street from the street car garage and it's quite convenient to get on the street car line. Street cars are relatively cheap. This hotel is on the Western fringe of the Ybor City party area. There is an entertainment complex called Centro Ybor that's close, along with the Spaghetti Warehouse Restaurant and others. You could take the street car down to the E end around 8th Ave and 20th St and walk a block to the Columbia Restaurant on 7th Ave at 21st St, an old and very unique Tampa restaurant that is quite nice (Spanish and Latin food). You could also take a street car ride to the W. and S. and go to the Channelside complex where there are shops, restaurants and night clubs, the FL Aquarium, etc (and that's where the cruise terminals are located).

On 7th Ave through Ybor City, there are numerous bars and night clubs, of various types. They block off the street on Saturday nights. Ybor City can have it's share of problems at night, especially Saturday night. Often there are kids or groups of them that roam the area looking for trouble, and often find it. I would never be out on the streets of Ybor City at night, never - but that's me. I'm not into the bar/club scene at all.

You can certainly enjoy your hotel, Channelside (a really nice place), the Aquarium, the Spaghetti Warehouse, and Centro Ybor, without getting into the mess on 7th. Just be careful and watchful if out late at night. If you have concerns, I'd recommend getting on the street car and going down to the Channelside complex. NOTE: Be sure to check the times of operation of the street car line - you don't want to go down to Channelside and decide to return after the street car line shuts down, since you would then need a more expensive taxi.

It would be about $22-25 for a cab from the airport.

Here's a link to the Tampa Bay Shuttle:

http://www.tampabayshuttle.com/

This is a good service. They also have Super Shuttle at the airport. The Tampa Bay Shuttle is the one that is hooked up with the cruise lines at the port. They are good.

Here's links to the other things I mentioned:

TECO Street Car Line: http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

Channelside Bay Plaza: http://www.channelsidetampa.com/

Columbia Restaurant: http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

Old Spaghetti Warehouse: http://www.meatballs.com/location_results.asp?State=FL&City=Tampa&Concept=SWH&start=1

Florida Aquarium: http://www.flaquarium.org/

Here's a link to my Tampa album on my Flickr photo web page. There are some Channelside photos in the batch. The Channelside neighborhood is chaning and building up quite a bit, so some of my pics may be somewhat dated, the Aqaurium and the complex is still the same though.

I base all the info I've offered here on the fact that I was born, raised, and still live near Tampa. I've worked in and around Tampa all my working life (still do). I also worked in law enforcement based out of Tampa and Ybor City for 20 years. So, I kind of know the area pretty well.

Hope this helps. Y'all have fun.

Ken

Ken, Thank you for all the great info...I went to ybor city maybe about 13 years ago and had a blast...now that I am older I really dont want no drama to start off my vacation. This is a group cruise we are going on with over 40 people, but my group of 8 was looking forward to partying there. Now I am concerned about going there.

Well we wont be there until next october but you have a drink on me :D . REally I mean it.

I am sure I will be bothering you for more info....have a great day.

Linda