Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZacWolf

Just got back from Adventure of the Seas

Hi all.

I just got back from a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas.

I'm putting together a complete Cruise Review website. I'm still just getting started on it. I plan to add the various documentation I received (compasses, excursions, etc) later in the week. I plan to flesh out the rest of the review during the week as well, so keep checking back.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

-Zac Morris

http://www.zacwolf.com/Adventure%20of%20the%20Seas/

Wow............You are really putting alot into this...thanks for sharing............

Just gotta know one thing though(since this was a subject of discussion on this board yesterday).................Did anyone knock on your door(to the RS) and ask to see it during the week?? One poster thinks it would be ok.........there was a discussion about that...

Just wondering...:confused:

What a difference a week makes. This review could not possibly be more different than the one from the week prior. You are putting an amazing amount of work into your review. I'm impressed already and I look forward to reading the future installments.

Your site is great, your review is very comprehensive, and your photos are great! I'm thrilled that I got to see all of this because of our upcoming AOS cruise.

Thanks so much!

Vanessa

Thanks for the great review - only makes me wish we were staying in the RS. Not available though (I guess I'll have to spend the extra $$ on drinks during our cruise (;)).

You sure put a lot of work into it. Again, thank you for all of your effort. It will make me rest easier (I was worried about so many previous negative posts re: AOS cruises). I know, though, that a vacation is what you make of it - no more, no less.

Hi, Thanks for the pictures. I am not sure which one you are in the pictures, but did not realize that I played and lost musical trivia with 2 of you. Still do not know how 2 teams got them all right. Went back the next and only 3 of us showed up. There was a fellow who just started working there 2 weeks ago and didn't want to give us anything for showing up, but finally did. Glad you enjoyed the trip so much. There was a few things I would have given different points to.

Jan

Maybe you addressed it and I missed it, but you are using copyrighted images on your review page. Sorry, but since I own an internet business I know this all too well, since people are always using my images, without my permission. If you have their permission, I would put that under each photo. Here is their policy on copyright. Just thought you'd like to know. I am sure people do it all the time, but if they ever get caught, and RCI's legal department is on the rampage, look out!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/copyright.do;jsessionid=0000O75k2seYByya-gZr1I_72_B:v2mocb1m?cS=MFTR

s.gif

Unless otherwise expressly noted, all materials, including images, illustrations, designs, icons, and photographs appearing anywhere on a Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Celebrity Cruises Inc., or their affiliates' (collectively the "Company") Internet sites are protected by worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. (All such Internet websites shall be referred to as "Company websites.") The copyright on such materials is held by the original creator of the materials. None of the materials may be copied, reproduced, displayed, modified, published, uploaded, posted, transmitted or distributed in any form or by any means other than as described in the Linking Policy section or with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.'s prior written permission. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. Any unauthorized use of the materials appearing on Company websites may violate copyright, trademark and other applicable laws and could result in criminal or civil penalties.

U.S. Government Rights: United States Government license rights in the materials appearing on Company websites are limited to those mandatory rights identified in ARS 252.227-7015(b) and all other applicable laws and regulations. All other use is prohibited without the prior written approval of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Use of any of the materials appearing on Company websites by the Government constitutes acknowledgment and acceptance of the Company's proprietary rights in the materials.

Yeah, if I were the owner of that material you have on your site, I would be very likely to pursue you in a court of law, especially for the IPIX camera link being used.

I think your site is pretty cool, and I'm not concerned with your copyright violations, however I did want to correct something you said.

If you're cruising in a non-suite room, I would probably recommend letting the Cruise Line handle your air portion as they also arrange transferring your luggage from the plane to the ship.
Letting the cruise line handle your air is rarely a good idea, especially to San Juan. Also, airport transfers are purchased seperate from air, but are also rarely a good idea. Back in the old days, you could put cruise tags on your luggage at your home airport and the next time you saw your bags was when they were delivered to your cabin. Now, everyone regardless of what type of cabin you are in has to claim their own luggage. If you use the RCI transfers, you then take it to the curb where it is loaded into a truck and you are loaded onto a bus. Or, just take a cab....quicker, and less expensive.

We are on the AOS in January and are very excited. Thanks for putting together this site! :) :)

Corona,

There is a wrinkle here in the copyright law in that Zac is not profiting from those images. As a matter of fact RCL is profiting from the images and as such he is not in danger of copyright violation.

The images here could be argued as "personal use" and no different from cutting pictures and logos from a brochure and putting them in a scrap book.

Absolutely fantastic review and so thorough, A group of us are sailing on January 9th, I will share this with them. A lot of work and thought went into this review, thanks a bunch! Look forward to your additions.

Corona,

There is a wrinkle here in the copyright law in that Zac is not profiting from those images. As a matter of fact RCL is profiting from the images and as such he is not in danger of copyright violation.

The images here could be argued as "personal use" and no different from cutting pictures and logos from a brochure and putting them in a scrap book.

It doesn't matter whether he is profiting or not. It specifically says it can not be reproduced. I would suggest that if you doubt what I am saying you either read the policy again, or visit the US Copyright website.

http://www.copyright.gov/

I wouldn't just throw it out there if I didn't know what I was talking about....

It is clearly stated in this line;

"Any unauthorized use of the materials appearing on Company websites may violate copyright, trademark and other applicable laws and could result in criminal or civil penalties."

This is the problem with the internet, people assume they can use anything they want. It's just not so. There is the "fair use act", but it is limited allowance, and only for excerpts, not images. My attorney sends "Cease and Desist" letters almost monthly to get people to stop stealing my images.

I am not trying to start a debate, just wanted the OP to be aware. Let me just add, the correct thing to do is to ask for permission. Most of the time people will let you use them, if you credit their work/websites.

Hey gang, thanks for the great feedback!

Now to address a few things:

Copyright issues: do not apply here based on fair-use in a "not for profit" situation especially when used in a "consumer commentary" (and or parody) basis. Just because they say "ANY use" in their online statement doesn't override the fair-use clause of US copyright law ["those mandatory rights identified in ARS 252.227-7015(b) and all other applicable laws and regulations"]. Many court cases based on "critism" and "parody" web sites that have utilized copyrighted materials (including images) from a company/organization in which they are commenting on or paroding have established this presedent. I'm fully aware of my rights and responsibilities in this arena so we need not discuss this here. I will add a "copyright" notice to the copyrighted images. Thanks.

Am I a dukie: No, my partner, Charles (the big guy in the green sailor type hat), is a Dukie though. :D

Music Trivia: he he he, I didn't go to that but Charles and Jeff did, and they too couldn't believe that two different groups got ALL the answers right.

RCI Air: Based on our discussion with a couple we met onboard, RCI did handle their full transfer of luggage from air to ship. They actually were standing waiting at baggage claims and when no luggage showed up they checked and were told that their luggage had already been transfered to the ship. Wether this was something RCI did because of the holiday weekend or because they reached some kind of "critical mass" of people they were handling transfers for I don't know. So it sounds like this experience is "variable" meaning you should confirm which is correct for a given trip with your Travel Agent. I'll update this fact on my website. Thanks.

Thanks again everyone for the great feedback!

-Zac

You are a man with WAY too much free time! Just kidding....your site is great! I think it will be helpful to future AOS cruisers.....

i will check it out more later on.....gotta go to WORK to pay for the next one!

meg

He he he, not at all. I do web development for a living so this doesn't represent as much work as you might think. ;)

Also one other thing I left out of my previous post, that being the question about anyone knocking on our door to see the suite.

The answer is there's a door bell. ;) But seriously, while we did get about two prank door bell rings a day from kids up and down the deck ten rooms (all the suites have door bells, which might not have been such a good idea if they can't limit access to the suite floor as there are also inside cabins on deck 10), we didn't have anyone ring ti ask to see the suite.

Twice while we were leaving the suite we did have people ask if they could peek inside. They were nice enough people so we obliged with a little tour.

We also had a cocktail reception one night before dinner for our dinner table, and for a few other couples we had met at our hotel in Puerto Rico and in the Concerge Lounge onboard. That was very nice and everyone really enjoyed it. The room is so nice that it does beg for a little showing off. :cool:

This was great fun to read. So where are you going on your next cruise? We will be on AOS on 12/26. Although today was 60 degrees in NY, we are so looking forward to a family vacation in the warm, beautiful Caribbean.

This was great fun to read. So where are you going on your next cruise? We will be on AOS on 12/26. Although today was 60 degrees in NY, we are so looking forward to a family vacation in the warm, beautiful Caribbean.

he he he, well it's still evolving even. I'm trying to get the "Ports-of-Call" and "Excursion" stuff there today, then I have to start scanning in all the really great materials we got onboard.

Regarding our next cruise. The friends we went with get very very little vacation time each year, and they already have a trip planned for next year, so we all discussed another cruise in two years. Honestly I don't know if I can wait that long!

We probably did a very bad thing in making our first cruise in the Royal Suite because now I'm so spoiled I'm not sure if I want to ever cruise in anything less. he he he. I'm a very introverted person compared to the rest of the guys on this trip, so I need to spend a lot more "me" time in the cabin calming down after being social. The Royal Suite made that time a treat in-and-of itself! I can't tell you how nice and comforting it was to lay out on your private deck in your private lounge chair instead of having to do it up by the pool. :p

We were a group of four which really made the Royal Suite a good deal. Granted "The Rack" (aka foldout sofa bed) wasn't the most comfortable, but we all took turns switching up for the good bed so it was managable. We discussed next time taking an even larger group. There are two JR suites on either side of the Royal Suite (non-connecting) that can each sleep four, and there are also three "inside cabins" that each sleep two just down and across from the Royal Suite. We're going to check out the pricing and see which combination comes out the best pricewise and service wise. If we all split the combined cost and all use the Royal Suite for group activities and "hanging-out" while using the other cabins pretty much as "bedrooms" it becomes very cost effective for a group up to 10.

We probably did a very bad thing in making our first cruise in the Royal Suite because now I'm so spoiled I'm not sure if I want to ever cruise in anything less. he he he. I'm a very introverted person compared to the rest of the guys on this trip, so I need to spend a lot more "me" time in the cabin calming down after being social. The Royal Suite made that time a treat in-and-of itself! I can't tell you how nice and comforting it was to lay out on your private deck in your private lounge chair instead of having to do it up by the pool. :p

My husband and I are much like you. Contrary to many, we tend to spend a lot of time in our room on a cruise, so we are willing to pay more in order to have a really nice environment. I think you would be quite happy with the Owner's Suite on the Voyager class ships if there are only two of you. It meets the luxury standard in my opinion and does include a nice big balcony, a plasma tv, dvd and cd player, jacuzzi bathtub, wetbar, beautiful wood interior, etc.

Still enjoying your review and glad to hear you aren't going to be sued by Royal Caribbean for copyright infringement while you are giving them great free advertising!