Just got back from grand turk 5-17-09

chenning

i had a great time on this island, i did the GIBBS CAY stingray tour, it was awesome, you have to meet just outside the shops and promptly at 0830 we were on our way for a 2 min walk to the pier where the boat was for the tour! we boarded the boat and you take about a 10-15 min trip to gibbs cay island. before we anchor on the island we stop just off shore a little and one of the crew members jumps out and snorkels around and came back with 3 LIVE conchs, because as part of the tour they show u how to clean a conch shell, and then you get to sample it raw fresh from the ocean! it kinda tastes like calamari but i wasnt to fond of it, i did have it fried in the bahamas, and it was amazing! anyways, they then pretty much beach the boat and you get out in about ankle deep water, then the stingrays come in! it was kind of scary at first im not going to lie i am a big dude and when that thing came by it scared the hell out of me and i screamed like a girl and everyone laughed haha! you get to hold them and they show you how harmless they really are, the guy even put the things barb in his mouth! just to show u they are friendly, they have no fear of us, they constantly swim right next to you on purpose, you also get to feed them fish if u want there was a guy on our boat who had a underwater camera, and would take photos of you, of course for purchase after..i definetly recomend this tour! the island is littered with conch shells, the ones we took back were pretty fresh so we tried to clean them and they still smelled fishy so we wound up throwing them out, although my mother had found ones which are litterally all white, and did not smell what so ever, she had no problem getting them on ship or through customs! nice free souveneir! after i did a little shopping, the stores are like right there when you get off the ship, very nice and clean, margaritaville was pretty cool, didnt really hang out just looked around, althought my girlfriends parents said they paid over 20$ for two drinks, so i guess its a little pricey other then this i really didnt leave the area, we were only in port from 7-3, but it was absolutley beautiful there! water was nice and warm!

Archived