May 10 cruise on Carnival Conquest

scz533

My SO and I traveled with friends on the May 10 sailing of the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. One of our 3 ports (Cozumel) was cancelled due to the Swine flu threat. Although we were disappointed that we would not be stopping in Mexico we were all looking forward to a relaxing and entertaining cruise. I had not travelled on Carnival before (previous cruises were with Royal Carribean and Regent) and wasn't really sure what to expect. I have to say I was very disappointed with the cruise in general. I certainly was not expecting the Carnival experience to compete with what we got on Regent, but I thought it would be comparable to what we experienced with RC.

In a word, the food in the buffet and in the dining room was BAD. It was of poor quality and lacked variety from day to day. Additionally, the service staff in the dining rooms and at the buffet were surprisingly, quite unfriendly. On at least 4 occasions the staff was downright rude (not just with us - we observed them being rude to other guests as well). I am willing to conceede that they appeared to be understaffed and overworked but that is not the fault of the passengers on the ship. They definitely had problems keeping the buffet dining area and the tables by the pools bussed and clean. Very unappetizing.

The bright spots: the staff in the alternative dining area (The Point) were very friendly and attentive. The food there was also of very high quality (for a $30 charge) and we felt both our trips there were well worth it. Also, the cabin steward and his assistant were quite friendly and did a very good job.

A note about the passengers: I certainly had heard that the clientele on Carnival had the reputation of being "partiers" but I had not really expected what I observed on this cruise. Honestly, many passengers were exceedingly drunk not only at night, but during the day as well (probably one explanation for the rudeness of the staff)! As you can imagine, this lead to alot of people cursing loudly, stumbling around and apparently passed out on deck chairs. There was alot of noise in the hallway and adjoining rooms until well after 1-2am. This is definitely a younger party crowd. If you are considering a Carnival cruise with children, you might want to reconsider (especially if you don't want your children exposed to alot of rowdy drunk people acting in a pretty raunchy manner). If you are traveling as a couple and want to party - this is your cruise line. For me personally, it will be my one and only Carnival cruise.

I'm sorry that Carnival didn't live up to your expectations.

I'm surprised with your comments about the food. Almost universally, cruisers agree that the food on Carnival is better than on RCCL. Our own Laura S confirmed this with remarks about her recent cruise on the Carnival Splendor.

I'm glad you enjoyed the supper club. It's one of my favorite venues on the ship.

:)

Sorry you had a bad cruise......hope your next one is better.

I do want to say that not every Carnival cruise has stumbling drunks like you described. Carnival is still a good option for families.

In my 3 Carnival cruises, all of which were during Spring Break, we have not seen what you described. I'm not saying it didn't happen on your cruise, just that it does not happen on every cruise.

My family has enjoyed each one of our Carnival cruises very much. We have never encountered any rude staff. We have always loved the food. Carnival isn't for everybody, so isn't is great that there are so many lines to choose from?

Again, I hope you enjoy your next cruise. :)

A note about the passengers: I certainly had heard that the clientele on Carnival had the reputation of being "partiers" but I had not really expected what I observed on this cruise. Honestly, many passengers were exceedingly drunk not only at night, but during the day as well (probably one explanation for the rudeness of the staff)! As you can imagine, this lead to alot of people cursing loudly, stumbling around and apparently passed out on deck chairs. There was alot of noise in the hallway and adjoining rooms until well after 1-2am. This is definitely a younger party crowd. If you are considering a Carnival cruise with children, you might want to reconsider (especially if you don't want your children exposed to alot of rowdy drunk people acting in a pretty raunchy manner). If you are traveling as a couple and want to party - this is your cruise line. For me personally, it will be my one and only Carnival cruise.

This is what happens when folks "steal" booze aboard. ;-)

I'm surprised with your comments about the food. Almost universally, cruisers agree that the food on Carnival is better than on RCCL. Our own Laura S confirmed this with remarks about her recent cruise on the Carnival Splendor.

I'm glad you enjoyed the supper club. It's one of my favorite venues on the ship.

Just an observation Host Mach.

I appreciate the way it appears you are trying to monitor these boards.

When I see the thread title with the :mad: face,,, I'm thinking Oh OH.

Then I open the thread and there you are. Acknowleging the OP's concerns and apoligizing for Carnival not meeting there expectations.

Classy way to kepp the cheerleaders in line :D Of which, I am one sometimes

We have never experienced bad service, rude service or any overly obnoxious behavior of the guests on any of our cruises and our kids have been on several and we never had a problem. Yes, there are people having fun, drinking, but nothing out of hand. What bad luck for you.

Just an observation Host Mach.

I appreciate the way it appears you are trying to monitor these boards.

When I see the thread title with the :mad: face,,, I'm thinking Oh OH.

Then I open the thread and there you are. Acknowleging the OP's concerns and apoligizing for Carnival not meeting there expectations.

Classy way to kepp the cheerleaders in line :D Of which, I am one sometimes

Everyone has likes and dislike, just as the OP did.

Carnival isn't for everyone and that's OK!!

It wasn't a totally negative review and I appreciate that level of honesty.

A lot of people get accused of being cheerleaders and I don't think there's a thing wrong with that as long as the cheering is tempered with reality...

Did you find anything good worth posting about this cruise? RCI will welcome you back with arms wide open. :D

Fred

My SO and I traveled with friends on the May 10 sailing of the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. One of our 3 ports (Cozumel) was cancelled due to the Swine flu threat. Although we were disappointed that we would not be stopping in Mexico we were all looking forward to a relaxing and entertaining cruise. I had not travelled on Carnival before (previous cruises were with Royal Carribean and Regent) and wasn't really sure what to expect. I have to say I was very disappointed with the cruise in general. I certainly was not expecting the Carnival experience to compete with what we got on Regent, but I thought it would be comparable to what we experienced with RC.

In a word, the food in the buffet and in the dining room was BAD. It was of poor quality and lacked variety from day to day. Additionally, the service staff in the dining rooms and at the buffet were surprisingly, quite unfriendly. On at least 4 occasions the staff was downright rude (not just with us - we observed them being rude to other guests as well). I am willing to conceede that they appeared to be understaffed and overworked but that is not the fault of the passengers on the ship. They definitely had problems keeping the buffet dining area and the tables by the pools bussed and clean. Very unappetizing.

The bright spots: the staff in the alternative dining area (The Point) were very friendly and attentive. The food there was also of very high quality (for a $30 charge) and we felt both our trips there were well worth it. Also, the cabin steward and his assistant were quite friendly and did a very good job.

Well I have been on 7 Carnival Cruises, 1 Royal, 1 NCL, and 1 Princess.

I saw more drunks and complete fools on the Royal ship than I have seen on all 7 Carnival ships. It could have been that everyone was so bored on Royal, and everything costs extra, so they drank 24/7 to pass the time.

I agree, I am quite sure Royal will welcome you back with open arms. With all their passengers switching to Carnival, I am quite sure they have plenty of room for you on their ghost town ships!

Everyone has likes and dislike, just as the OP did.

Carnival isn't for everyone and that's OK!!

It wasn't a totally negative review and I appreciate that level of honesty.

A lot of people get accused of being cheerleaders and I don't think there's a thing wrong with that as long as the cheering is tempered with reality...

I totally agree. DW and I like CCL and RCI, but generally sail CCL due to fares mostly lower. While it is OK to point out our favorite anything, we should all remember that our likes/dislikes may be totally different than someone else. I am often reminded that " another persons perception is their reality.":)

Sorry you did not have a great time!! There have been a couple of times we have had not so great service in the dining room. I just say I only paid $xxx for this cruise so I don't expect a lot-we only go when we get good deals. It was never awful, just not great and we have had a rude waiter before.

As far as the partying.....we were looking forward to a little partying and a little rowdy crowd but so far NOTHING!! All of our cruises have been quiet. I guess it just depends on your fellow pax that week. You could probably go on the exact cruise this week and have a totally different experience.

OP, I always try and go into a negative review with an open mind. What closes it immediately to the poster's credibility is the comment, "And I am never sailling [whatever] again." I have no concept of how people live like that. Our Fantasy cruise this past week (also a week long) was the exact opposite of what you just posted (except for the good stuff, it all matched). If I always said, "I am never doing [whatever] again," simply because of ONE bad experience options for life would get very slim, very quickly. Wouldn't it be interesting, if, the first time our spouses made a mistake we said, "Well, that's it....I'm out." FTLOG, grow up please and realize that making a whole bunch bad because of one bad apple is operating out of a 2 year old thinking pattern. "I'm taking my toys and going home, nah nah na nah nah". Sigh.

sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise, but i almost excepted you to add something about (TEXANS) since we are nothing but rednecks and hillbillies. Go back to RCCL and pay almost twice the price.

I saw more drunks and complete fools on the Royal ship than I have seen on all 7 Carnival ships. It could have been that everyone was so bored on Royal, and everything costs extra, so they drank 24/7 to pass the time.

I agree, I am quite sure Royal will welcome you back with open arms. With all their passengers switching to Carnival, I am quite sure they have plenty of room for you on their ghost town ships!

What you said +1

The worst and most drunks I have ever seen on a cruise ship were on RCCL Sovereign of the Seas. Yes it was a 4 nighter so I overlooked it. I have yet to see a "falling down/passing out on a chair" drunk in my 7 Carnival cruises. Actually on the Freedom in February, we had to search out some action. Some cruises are just quieter than others.

OP it appears you hit a bad week. We are getting ready to take our kids on their 3rd carnival cruise and I have yet to find anything I would view as inappropriate for them to see.

As far as food is concerned, we were on the Mariner this past October. I was highly disappointed in the dining room food and service. We hit the supper club twice and also Johnny Rockets just to avoid going back. Our waiter was rude to my friend's husband who wanted to order two entrees. He's a big guy and it wouldn't have went to waste. Instead he tells us how people in his country go hungry. Yes I do sympathize with that, but I am not on vacation to hear a lecture. I also missed the grill and deli on Carnival.

If RCCL is more to your liking, run, don't walk back to them. Enjoy the rest of your cruises and don't look back!

sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise, but i almost excepted you to add something about (TEXANS) since we are nothing but rednecks and hillbillies. Go back to RCCL and pay almost twice the price.

Nothing like propagating the stereotype! :rolleyes:

OP, sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. That's such a bummer. I've heard great things about the Conquest. I myself had a terrific cruise on the Ecstasy the week before you left. But, I went into it with an open mind and no expectations, with it being my first cruise. Guess it's just the luck of the draw.

What you said +1

The worst and most drunks I have ever seen on a cruise ship were on RCCL Sovereign of the Seas. Yes it was a 4 nighter so I overlooked it. I have yet to see a "falling down/passing out on a chair" drunk in my 7 Carnival cruises. Actually on the Freedom in February, we had to search out some action. Some cruises are just quieter than others.

OP it appears you hit a bad week. We are getting ready to take our kids on their 3rd carnival cruise and I have yet to find anything I would view as inappropriate for them to see.

As far as food is concerned, we were on the Mariner this past October. I was highly disappointed in the dining room food and service. We hit the supper club twice and also Johnny Rockets just to avoid going back. Our waiter was rude to my friend's husband who wanted to order two entrees. He's a big guy and it wouldn't have went to waste. Instead he tells us how people in his country go hungry. Yes I do sympathize with that, but I am not on vacation to hear a lecture. I also missed the grill and deli on Carnival.

If RCCL is more to your liking, run, don't walk back to them. Enjoy the rest of your cruises and don't look back!

Perfectly said! I figure I am on vacation. I am not cooking, cleaning working, answering phones, etc. I make the best of it. I have tried other lines, and so far, hands down, Carnival wins in my book.

Honestly, many passengers were exceedingly drunk not only at night, but during the day as well (probably one explanation for the rudeness of the staff)! As you can imagine, this lead to alot of people cursing loudly, stumbling around and apparently passed out on deck chairs. There was alot of noise in the hallway and adjoining rooms until well after 1-2am. This is definitely a younger party crowd. If you are considering a Carnival cruise with children, you might want to reconsider (especially if you don't want your children exposed to alot of rowdy drunk people acting in a pretty raunchy manner). .

this is funny. we have not encountered any noise whatsoever from stumbling loud drunks, but have encountered much noise in the middle of the night from children running up and down the hallways shrieking and laughing and squealing.

I guess the Carnival children cruisers are partiers too!

OP, I always try and go into a negative review with an open mind. What closes it immediately to the poster's credibility is the comment, "And I am never sailling [whatever] again." I have no concept of how people live like that.

I get what you're saying, but why should someone drop another few thousand dollars off to a company that did not meet their expectations, y'know?

If I take my car into a shop, expecting them to fix the squeaky brakes, and instead it comes out with a dent on the fender, and the brakes are only slightly less squeaky.....why would I go back?

Dunno why everyone comes down on complaint posts for that particular phrase - 'cause if I really felt the way the OPs do, I certainly wouldn't throw good money after bad on the off chance things would get better. Not when there are so many cruiselines out there to try!! :p

In other news, I saw some horrific behavior on the Miracle a few years ago. Domestic abuse, kids trying to topple grannies, screaming matches galore. I still love CCL, don't get me wrong, but you can DEFINITELY get a bad bunch on a ship.

Sorry that you didn't like the cruise. Our first Carnival cruise was this past New Year's, and yes there were "happy" people, very festive, but I didn't see anyone cursing or passing out from booze. As far as the food is concerned, I loved it and there was more variety at the lunch buffets than in most cruises that I've taken (19 in total). Dining room meals were delicious. Good luck on your next future cruise!

I'm sorry it was a bad experience.

In a word, the food in the buffet and in the dining room was BAD. It was of poor quality and lacked variety from day to day.
(emphasis added)

This is the only criticism I can't comprehend. A lack of variety of food?

The passengers you wind up cruising with are luck of the draw, unfortunately.

OP, I am sorry you were disappointed. I'm a bit shocked about your observations on the food...but I guess that's subjective.

Mach....I think it is the Conquest that has a food problem. I read reviews on here forever and could never understand folks fussing about food until my most recent trip on the Conquest - my 8th Carnival cruise. I never went hungry because you can always rely on pizza/salads/sandwiches/omelettes etc. but overall I was not pleased with the food on this trip. I hate wasting food and will not order something as a replacement if I don't like something but I had a few dishes that I could not stomach this time around. I just filled up the difference with chocolate melting cake or beer :) On the Celebration, Ecstasy and first Conquest trip I was MORE than happy....

I get what you're saying, but why should someone drop another few thousand dollars off to a company that did not meet their expectations, y'know?

If I take my car into a shop, expecting them to fix the squeaky brakes, and instead it comes out with a dent on the fender, and the brakes are only slightly less squeaky.....why would I go back?

This is not comparing apples to apples, figs. The car shop is finite and never changing. The mechanics are (essentially) the same week after week. A cruise has a different set of passengers each and every week. If you notice, the things that ARE finite on a cruise (the stewards and wait staff) were positives in the OP's eyes. To say he is not going to cruise an entire line simply because ONE set of passengers irritated him is utterly ridiculous for the reasons I pointed out in my above post.

Archived