Carnival = Frat Party Boat?

I am a loyal RCCL cruiser and we have never sailed on Carnival, but are planning a cruise for this September and are starting to take another look at Carnival. However, I am having second thoughts about booking a Carnival cruise because I have always had the impression that Carnival was one big frat party, which is NOT what we are looking for in a cruise vacation. We have this impression because we have heard from friends on several different occasions that this was the case; granted they went over spring break, so this may explain the abundance of college students and soon to be high school grads.

Is my impression wrong here? Should I give them a chance; or should I stick with Royal Caribbean? Maybe those of you who have sailed on both could provide some input.

Thanks!

If you want to try Carnival, my best advice would be to stay away from a 3-4 nighter. They are the ones to attract the real party crowd. That was my mistake with Carnival and I would really like to try them again on a 7 nighter.

Absolutely not! I have been on two Carnival, and am booked upcoming on my second RCCL... (not to mention one NCL and one Princess under the belt). All the cruise lines are different, but I have yet to find one with a "frat party" vibe... (though to be fair- i have only booked 7 nighters). My DH and I have had fantastic vacations on both lines.

To give a more concrete answer, I have found that the service on RCCL is a little more "personal", the pool area was more active and busy on RCCL (better for people watching), but we like the food and shows a bit more on Carnival. (my own opinion)...

Reguardless of what you choose, have a great vacation!

I've tried both lines, do NOT worry about it, I think CCL got a bad rap back in the 80's and 90's.... Definately stay away during spring break, but besides that, you'll be fine!

Also, if anything happens, Carnival is better in compensating and taking care of their customers... They care.

We have sailed multiple times on RCCL and Carnival. Believe me, the "frat party" atmosphere is way overstated. We have seen just as many drunks and bad behavior on RCCL as on Carnival. As said above, stay away from the shorter cruises and Spring Break. We prefer the newer, larger ships; never had a bad cruise yet.

go and enjoy, we have sailed both multiple times and enjoyed them all. We are mid-40's and not party animals but do have fun. Stick with a 7 day on a newer ship and you'll be fine in September. We just returned from Carni (5/9-17) Freedom and things couldn't have been better. Now looking at another group family cruise for next year, likely on RCCL Freedom or Liberty. Enjoy.

I wouldn't worry about trying Carnival if it were a new ship doing a longer (6-8 night cruise). I think it's the 3-5 night cruises on the Fantasy class that turns so many people off, myself included. I love to get drunk and have a good time, I just hated the atmosphere on the Imagination. The ship was gaudy, the staff was rude, and I can definitely see where people would complain about the "frat party" atmosphere. It just totally turned me off to Carnival and I wouldn't even consider going on Carnival again for five years.

Recently I've been wanting to try a the Carnival Liberty or Freedom because they're newish and seem to have good reviews. I don't think I'll like them as much as RC, but I figure it's worth a try if the price is right. Worst comes to worst I can at least enjoy myself out by the pool and in port, right?

The only reason I am hesitant now is that, come on people, you can't tell me that their ships even compare to the RC's Freedom class ships. I really enjoy the nice pool decks, promenades, and the classy feeling that RC's dining rooms and atrium have, and Carnival doesn't have any of that.

But like I said, I think I could still have a good cruise with them. I just want to keep my options open, never say never.

I am a loyal RCCL cruiser and we have never sailed on Carnival, but are planning a cruise for this September and are starting to take another look at Carnival. However, I am having second thoughts about booking a Carnival cruise because I have always had the impression that Carnival was one big frat party, which is NOT what we are looking for in a cruise vacation. We have this impression because we have heard from friends on several different occasions that this was the case; granted they went over spring break, so this may explain the abundance of college students and soon to be high school grads.

Is my impression wrong here? Should I give them a chance; or should I stick with Royal Caribbean? Maybe those of you who have sailed on both could provide some input.

Thanks!

Probably not that severe. I have had both, but you can choose to be part of it or to stay away from it.

We have been on 4, 7 and 8 day Carnival cruises (4 total) and they are NOT frat party boats! Now, we avoid spring break for ALL vacations, especially now that our kids are grown, but there is no more partying on Carnival than there is on any other cruise line.

You all have heard of URBAN LEGENDS right? Everyone I know that says Carnival is a party boat has NEVER been on Carnival.

The short cruises are more "party oriented" on EVERY cruise line, than a longer cruise...even on RCI!

Don't worry about it! There will be a whole range of ages on your Carnival cruise. You can choose to party as much or as little as you like.

You'll have a fine time. Enjoy!

The short cruises are more "party oriented" on EVERY cruise line, than a longer cruise...even on RCI!

Don't worry about it! There will be a whole range of ages on your Carnival cruise. You can choose to party as much or as little as you like.

100% Agree!! Try to stay away from trips that depart over a weekend (i.e. Friday to Monday or Tuesday). People can take these without using a lot of vacation so they are very popular with the younger group:) That being said, I've done a 3 & a 4 night on Fascination; a 4 night on Celebration and then a 3 night on Majesty and a 4 night on Soverign. I never thought they were overly "partyish" on either line. In fact, I saw more kids out of line on the islands where they were legal then on the ships - three of the trips were in what could be termed spring break area:p Go and enjoy. Both lines have their plus and minus factors. Carnival has more lounges and evening activities than most RCCL trips I've been on;)

If you want to try Carnival, my best advice would be to stay away from a 3-4 nighter. They are the ones to attract the real party crowd. That was my mistake with Carnival and I would really like to try them again on a 7 nighter.

I agree. Here in Key West, we get a lot of the ships doing 4 night itineraries. There is a very distinct difference in the people getting off Carnival's Fantasy Class ships (at least, visually).

Go for it and try it! If you don't care for it you don't have to go on Carnival again. I do have to let you know that the decor on their ships is over the top! Lots of bright colors, murals, etc.

That is the truth! On my Majesty of the Seas 3-night cruise, the partiers were just as wild as at the college parties that I attended. It almost put me off cruising.

I haven't sailed Carnival but have friends who do since Carnival is the only line left in Galveston during summer/fall. One couple booked a cruise during spring break and didn't enjoy it due to excessive partiers and teens. However, they tried the same ship (Conquest) in late September and had a completely different crowd. They loved it and plan to go again in the fall. Another couple was on Conquest for their honeymoon in Feb and had a great time. They didn't have any problems with partiers or teens. I also know a family who was on Voyager of the Seas in March (spring break) and thought RC wasn't doing enough to keep drunks and teens under control.

If you want a non-party boat, I got back from 14-nights on HAL last month. We had a fantastic itinerary but I think everyone on the ship went to bed by 11. There isn't much nightlife going on there.

We have sailed multiple times on RCCL and Carnival. Believe me, the "frat party" atmosphere is way overstated. We have seen just as many drunks and bad behavior on RCCL as on Carnival. As said above, stay away from the shorter cruises and Spring Break. We prefer the newer, larger ships; never had a bad cruise yet.

I totally agree with all who have stated the same thing...been on CCL twice and have never saw the "frat party" atmosphere.

And even within spring break, there's a BIG difference between earlier and later spring break weeks. My first cruise was a 4-nighter on Carnival at the end of last March, which is after most colleges have spring break but was right around Easter when the K-12 schools have spring break. The ship was entirely filled with families, so much so there were very few college-aged people, or even young professionals who have graduated but didn't have kids yet (the night club was empty after they threw the teens out at 10 pm).

Based on the research I did when I was looking into that first Carnival cruise, and what I saw, it does look like Carnival has cleaned up its act from the 1990s reputation it had.

Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it. We will probably go with Carnival this time around to give them a try. We are seriously looking at a 6 night itinerary and it sounds like that's what most of you recommend anyway. Also, I have noticed that Carnival is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper per person than RCL on a comparable cruise length and cabin type.

I hope I didn't come off a a prude. I love to drink and have a good time just as much as the next person; but what I don't enjoy is lots of people getting obnoxious and rowdy. I admit that I have done my fair share of partying when I was in my 20's, but when I go on vacation, that's just not my idea of "fun".

I would not hesitate to do Carnival again, and would have if I wasn't so set on making diamond status on RCCL. You can have "Frat Party" people on any cruise.......even RCCL. If the itinerary is right, and the price is right.....give it a shot!

The vast majority of the "frat party" reputation that Carnival receives is fostered and regurgitated by people who have never been closer to a Carnival ship than being docked next to one at a pier.

I've tried both lines, do NOT worry about it, I think CCL got a bad rap back in the 80's and 90's.... Definately stay away during spring break, but besides that, you'll be fine!

Also, if anything happens, Carnival is better in compensating and taking care of their customers... They care.

Have you visited the Carnival board lately? Quite a few thousand people will disagree with you about their customer service.

The vast majority of the "frat party" reputation that Carnival receives is fostered and regurgitated by people who have never been closer to a Carnival ship than being docked next to one at a pier.

I do not agree with this statement. I have taken more than one Carnival cruise, among many other cruises. Only on Carnival have I seen people wearing wife-beaters in the main dining room....and this was on a 7 night Destiny cruise. Agrue what I say all you want, but this was my experience.

Granted, I did not see this on the newer Carnival Liberty, but the atmosphere was still louder and a bit more raucous than what's typical on RCI cruises.

I do not agree with this statement. I have taken more than one Carnival cruise, among many other cruises. Only on Carnival have I seen people wearing wife-beaters in the main dining room....and this was on a 7 night Destiny cruise. Agrue what I say all you want, but this was my experience.

Granted, I did not see this on the newer Carnival Liberty, but the atmosphere was still louder and a bit more raucous than what's typical on RCI cruises.

Why did you go back?

Everybody's experience differs. That's why I said "vast majority" not every single one, every time.

And, the only time that I have ever been wakened up by loud obnoxious drunks at 3:00 AM has been on Celebrity. Everybody's experience differs.

Archived