pacific dawn quarantined (Merger of all swine flu threads)

thied

Yes, I think it's getting less media now partly because people didn't want to hear it, and also because of the phase the authorities have given it, which is that they've acknowledged they can no longer control its spread here and just try to deal with cases as best they can now.

One thing that's been apparent with this is that younger recipients have at least as much risk of death as older infected; it seems that many older people have greater immunity. At this stage though, the risk of death is still low, and a fair number of people who are infected have very few symptoms as well.

quote by David Grimes ,I don't like to scare people or cause a public panic, which is why I am only going to say that swine flu is now as prevalent as text messaging, except with more coughing and a somewhat higher expectation of death.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090809/COLUMNIST/908091011/2127?Title=My-luck-getting-swine-flu

Just catching up on 6 days CC after being laid up with Swine Flu. It really comes on quite fast and is a nasty bug. I would hate to have it on a ship and not be in my own bed etc.

sorry to hear about you , hope you are all well now or on your way to be, from what i have read its very nasty and would like to get it or give to to some one,

sorry to hear about you , hope you are all well now or on your way to be, from what i have read its very nasty and would like to get it or give to to some one,

Thanks Thied. Yes it is nasty, but luckily I started on Tamiflu within about 5 hours of symptoms starting. Would hate to know what it would have been like if I had waited.

Thanks Thied. Yes it is nasty, but luckily I started on Tamiflu within about 5 hours of symptoms starting. Would hate to know what it would have been like if I had waited.
i wouldnt like to think of that

Thank you all for your replies. I do appreciate it!

If you look up Wikipedia and Australia swine flu on the internet, there is a whole page talking about how it is a Pandemic in Australia.

It up-dates it every day, and there have been 600 more cases in the last 24 hrs!

It's up to 25,000 cases now!!

This is a fact - not just somebody's opinion.

It even mentions Pacific Dawn ship.

Sunnydaze, don't you have people getting the "normal" flu over there?? It's just the same, only a new strain. Just like the normal flu, only the elderly, very young or very ill need to be very cautious. Have you looked up how many people die from influenza every year? I bet it's a lot more than swine flu. I don't know of anyone catching swine flu, maybe because the symptoms are similar to normal flu, and if you are in good health generally, you wouldn't even know that you had it. You would treat it the same as you would the normal flu and get over it just the same. So unless your daughter has other medical conditions, there is no need to worry at all.

She has worked on cruise ships that were sick with Norwalk virus before, and has been quarantined a few times.

The Swine Flu just seems to grow every day!

As of 10 August 2009, Australia has 26,957 confirmed cases of H1N1 Influenza 09 (Human Swine Influenza) and 92 confirmed deaths due to the disease.

We are having Summer in Canada, so I guess we will see more Flu this winter.

We'll have to wash our hands more often, and shake hands and hug people a little less.

She has worked on cruise ships that were sick with Norwalk virus before, and has been quarantined a few times.

The Swine Flu just seems to grow every day!

As of 10 August 2009, Australia has 26,957 confirmed cases of H1N1 Influenza 09 (Human Swine Influenza) and 92 confirmed deaths due to the disease.

We are having Summer in Canada, so I guess we will see more Flu this winter.

We'll have to wash our hands more often, and shake hands and hug people a little less.

Hopefully by the time your flu season is upon you the vaccine will be readily available.

I'm laid up at home with something this week ... could be swine flu, but because they are no longer testing, we'll never know! It's more likely to be another flu-like virus doing the rounds. The Dr tells me you actually feel worse from this virus than swine. What the risk seems to be is secondary infections (which I've got on the chest).

Your daughter will have a great time and the medical staff on the ships are well equipped to deal with any eventuality in relation to her health.

I hope she thoroughly enjoys her time on board and get to see a bit of Australia while she's here!

The news last night reported that they were testing the vaccine on children already. From Courier Mail: "Five-year-old twin girls from Brisbane are among the first children in the world to be vaccinated against swine flu."

From ABC News today:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/11/2652728.htm?section=justin

BTW, Wikipedia isn't always correct as people can put on or alter anything they wish.

Hopefully your daughter will be fine Sunnydaze. I live in Brisbane and don't know anyone who has had it yet. :)

• 1 month later...

CRUISE LINES INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION REMAINS COMMITTED TO H1N1 PREVENTION AND CONTROL PROTOCOLS

Fort Lauderdale September 18, 2009 —

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) reiterated this week its commitment to aggressively managing all cases of influenza, including the H1N1 virus, as the fall season approaches and brings a potential resurgence of the virus.

http://www.cruising.org/cruisenews/news.cfm?NID=416

Archived