Snorkel Park - misrepresentation

Milaandra

You get better colour from both film and digital prints if you take the longer processing...those quickie kiosks are awful. I get my digitals printed at Photocheap (can I say that?) and the colour saturation is gorgeous! Far better than the local grocery or convenience store processing. Plus I prefer 3 x 5 and they have an option for white bars to keep the original framing. Good quality photo & camera shops tend to be a bit better, too.

I go to my CVS and usethe kiosk for my digitals and the color has been gorgeous... so that's not a problem. But finding a good place to have my film developed is. Would you know of a source?

Now, I must admit, I don't get the Holiday Inn comment... You don't mean that I'm imposing Hilton standards on a Holiday Inn, do you? Because that doesn't pertain to my complaint. This is more like my being upset that there wasn't a bed in my hotel room. I'm very realistic in my expectations, but if you advertise something, you should have it! Period. And that isn't just my personal opinion. It's law.

Nah ... it's a joke from Holiday Inn's current advertising campaign. Someone usually spews off some highly technical jargon, everyone looks at him wide eyed, asks if he's an expert, and the guy says ... "No, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn last night."

Nah ... it's a joke from Holiday Inn's current advertising campaign. Someone usually spews off some highly technical jargon, everyone looks at him wide eyed, asks if he's an expert, and the guy says ... "No, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn last night."

Doh! Good thing I asked :)

I love Tobacco Bay it is our favorite little beach and I think that is where we will go for the days we are in Bermuda. Has anyone seen those Man of Wars at Tobacco bay? How long is the ferry ride to St George from the dock yard if you know?

It's important that we understand and accept Snorkel Park for exactly what it is. Is it a really beautiful beach? Sort of, but it ain't Horseshoe Bay, so if you want Horseshoe Bay, the you have to get on the bus. Is the snorkelling all that great? That's subjective, but if you want the best snorkelling available you have to get on a snorkel boat, period. You can rent gear at SP and take it away to another place, so if they're out of gear and the beach is empty then that's a pretty good indication people have taken the gear elsewhere. I can tell you from personal experience that sometimes equipment breaks down before it's replacement arrives.

What is Snorkel Park? It's close to your ship so if you can't or don't want to go far, it's right there in Dockyard. SP is great for kids because of it's shallow water in a compact bay(they can't get too far away from help). The water is calm almost all of the time and with it's limited depth it is the perfect place for beginners to experience snorkelling. You can get sunburnt on this beach just as well as any other. There is a bar onsite. Not just a table where you can pick up a beer, but a full bar where you can sit and relax until you're so relaxed you fall off your barstool. A major point for a lot of people would be the lack of Potuguese Man o War. The last time one of these was spotted on SP was when my granny was a young hottie gettin chased around the house by my grandfather.

This is what SP is. If you want something else then you have to go somewhere else. I think the pros far outweigh the cons. And no, I don't work for Windjammer or Snorkel Park but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.

This is a very helpful post!!! Thanks so much...I think we'll be going to SP anyway, even though there are nicer beaches in Bermuda.

I love Tobacco Bay it is our favorite little beach and I think that is where we will go for the days we are in Bermuda. Has anyone seen those Man of Wars at Tobacco bay? How long is the ferry ride to St George from the dock yard if you know?

Don't recall seeing any posts of MOW's in Tobacco Bay. Most of the reports appear to be south/southwest shore (I did see one mentioned at SP, but I think it was a renegade...:rolleyes:). The ferry ride from KW to St Georges is about 40 minutes.

Got back four weeks ago and the south shore had them Tobacco Bay didn't and yes previous poster wrote it is 40 minutes which is right.

From May 13th to May 24th the wind was northeasterly and I saw many dozens of Portuguese Man o' War near snorkel park. It is highly unusual to see so many in that area. There are reefs close to shore at snorkel park, but you will have to swim outside of the protected area to see the best stuff. the beach is also made from sand dredged from the harbour so its a little coarse.

It just occurred to me today that I haven't checked things here in a while. I see not much has changed.

The questions and answers are pretty much the same year after year. Also the questions and answers are pretty much the same day after day. And even in the same day........

• 2 weeks later...

I was at SP this past week. We did some great snorkeling, we bring our own gear. If you are on the beach facing the water, the best snorkeling is on the left on the other side of the rocks...around the yellow pipe. We went there both days we were docked. The first day was okay...but the second day was great. I am sure you would find better places on a snorkeling tour, but it is not as convenient.

The downside of snorkel park was that our camera cases were stolen. Fortunately we had the camera with us. If you go there, dont leave anything valuable on the beach unattended.

I was at SP this past week. We did some great snorkeling, we bring our own gear. If you are on the beach facing the water, the best snorkeling is on the left on the other side of the rocks...around the yellow pipe. We went there both days we were docked. The first day was okay...but the second day was great. I am sure you would find better places on a snorkeling tour, but it is not as convenient.

The downside of snorkel park was that our camera cases were stolen. Fortunately we had the camera with us. If you go there, dont leave anything valuable on the beach unattended.

Sorry to hear about the stolen cases. While Bermuda is still very safe it does seem that petty crime has been increasing the last few years. I was told it was because there have been laborers brought in from the Caribbean but that might be just be a scapegoat for the increase that some locals are making. I certainly won't be leaving my camera on the beach anymore in Bermuda when I go in the water like I did in past years.

I...

Isn't that true of any beach anywhere?....and the probability is that they were taken by either an an employee or a person from a cruise ship....

Sorry to hear about the stolen cases. While Bermuda is still very safe it does seem that petty crime has been increasing the last few years. I was told it was because there have been laborers brought in from the Caribbean but that might be just be a scapegoat for the increase that some locals are making.....

Could be an excuse but I can't think that the laborers would be hanging out at one of the beaches.

Isn't that true of any beach anywhere?....and the probability is that they were taken by either an an employee or a person from a cruise ship....

Yeah, what he said.

Could be an excuse but I can't think that the laborers would be hanging out at one of the beaches.

I have seen people at the beaches who did not appear to be tourists, but I think smeyer is on the right track. Most likely it was another tourist.

I have been pretty complacent on the beaches in Bermuda. I have left cameras and cash in my beach bag while I went in the water because it felt safe. Probably was never a good idea but I started going to Bermuda in the era of smaller ships, not the mega ships that call at the dockyard.

I have seen people at the beaches who did not appear to be tourists, but I think smeyer is on the right track. Most likely it was another tourist.
We've only seen one who seemed to be the resident panhandler.;)

I have been pretty complacent on the beaches in Bermuda. I have left cameras and cash in my beach bag while I went in the water because it felt safe. Probably was never a good idea but I started going to Bermuda in the era of smaller ships, not the mega ships that call at the dockyard.

All our cruises have been on smaller ships so many people are familiar from either seeing or talking to them on the ship. We usually ask one of those to keep an eye on things for us when we go in the water. As a backup, I take a ziplock bag to put my small camera and cash in, then can cover it with sand under the towel with the backpack on top.:D

We've only seen one who seemed to be the resident panhandler.;)

All our cruises have been on smaller ships so many people are familiar from either seeing or talking to them on the ship. We usually ask one of those to keep an eye on things for us when we go in the water. As a backup, I take a ziplock bag to put my small camera and cash in, then can cover it with sand under the towel with the backpack on top.:D

oh thanks I need to pick up some quick cash and a new passport.....

My wife and I are natives of New York City, and have lived our entire lives in the New York metropolitan area, so we NEVER leave a bag unattended anywhere. ( Nor do we leave our home or car doors unlocked.)

It's just something you learn from the time you're knee-high to a grasshopper.

Archived