Southwest is the best

quiltingandcruising

Kodos to southwest - I know not everyone likes them but I have never had a problem with them.

I booked travel for my best friend and myself this past weekend - She is flying from Providence and I am flying from Pittsburgh - My fee was rock bottom but hers not so much but if you figure no check bag fee and that both of us would arrive in FLL on the same plane - it was worth it

well I checked fees yesterday and hers was down $78. - I spoke with them this morning 5 minutes later they adjusted her flight and issued a credit for the $78 - no fuss and no change fee

They are the best

I like SWA a lot. No checked bag fees. They don't change your flight times at random like other airlines. And, the price is always great.

I didn't know they would give you credit if the price of your flight went down, though......thanks for posting that! :)

I agree....I really like SWA.

The DH works for a major "American" airline.

We've only flown with them once in several years even though we can fly free (if there's a seat available). The last two times we've flown with them, there were airplane problems and flights were delayed.

I love the non-stop flights from MCI to FLL.

I like SWA a lot. No checked bag fees. They don't change your flight times at random like other airlines. And, the price is always great.

I didn't know they would give you credit if the price of your flight went down, though......thanks for posting that! :)

Neither did a lot of people that is why I thought my post was being helpful on the other board but it wasn't seen that way by all :rolleyes: I now check every day or two and keep my confirmation # handy, it's very easy online :) If you book a refundable fare I believe you get the money back but with the lower non-refundable fares you get a credit which works for me~

I had the same experience, but since I do not fly a lot I was not sure I would get to use my credit. My daughter needed to fly and she was able to use my credit for her ticket. No problem and I got the frequent flyer miles.

if you do not know this, please tell your friend her ticketless funds must be used within 12 months of the date she originally purchased that air (it doesn't run from the date of the switch), and the funds are linked to the original confirmation number, so have her hold onto that cancelled ressie with the booking number for credit against her future flight.

they (swa) are very good this way. book ressies ONE WAY each time so that if a ding! becomes available for only one leg of your flight you can easily cancel and rebook without affecting the price of your other leg and, in some cases, jeopardizing the availability of your seat.

Kodos to southwest - I know not everyone likes them but I have never had a problem with them.

I booked travel for my best friend and myself this past weekend - She is flying from Providence and I am flying from Pittsburgh - My fee was rock bottom but hers not so much but if you figure no check bag fee and that both of us would arrive in FLL on the same plane - it was worth it

well I checked fees yesterday and hers was down $78. - I spoke with them this morning 5 minutes later they adjusted her flight and issued a credit for the $78 - no fuss and no change fee

They are the best

Neither did a lot of people that is why I thought my post was being helpful on the other board but it wasn't seen that way by all :rolleyes: I now check every day or two and keep my confirmation # handy, it's very easy online :) If you book a refundable fare I believe you get the money back but with the lower non-refundable fares you get a credit which works for me~

dont take the comments that way. The only reason the post will probably eventually get moved is because it isnt about Carnival. (not because someone says your post might not be helpfull).

All these refunds prove out what the frequent posters have been saying all along. SW overcharged you to begin with.

Waiting for SW to open their schedule will generally cost you more money for your flight. SW WAITS until the cheapest seats are sold on the legacy airlines BEFORE they set prices or schedules.

So while you may get the cheapest price comparing all airlines on the day you book with SW, you MISSED the CHEAPEST price (which was sold out a few months before).

Quit drinking the Canyon Blue Kool Aid!!!!

All these refunds prove out what the frequent posters have been saying all along. SW overcharged you to begin with.

Waiting for SW to open their schedule will generally cost you more money for your flight. SW WAITS until the cheapest seats are sold on the legacy airlines BEFORE they set prices or schedules.

So while you may get the cheapest price comparing all airlines on the day you book with SW, you MISSED the CHEAPEST price (which was sold out a few months before).

Quit drinking the Canyon Blue Kool Aid!!!!

It would be interesting to have a sticky at the top of this forum to track this. Some typical cruise routings could be chosen (i.e. BOS-FLL, ORD-MIA, SFO-SJU) with dates and the current prices posted for these flights by the legacy carriers. Then, when WN posts their prices, these could be compared with the legacy carrier's prices.

Sometimes you just have to see it to believe it.

I fly a lot and I watch their prices everyday:eek: and have DING (their short notice incredible low deals announced every day). No baggage fees, no cancellation fees;) just to great of a deal for me. I have over $500 in credits and they will be used as I fly a lot.

Now if they would just add international flights to Europe and other parts than I would be really happy:D

It would be interesting to have a sticky at the top of this forum to track this. Some typical cruise routings could be chosen (i.e. BOS-FLL, ORD-MIA, SFO-SJU) with dates and the current prices posted for these flights by the legacy carriers. Then, when WN posts their prices, these could be compared with the legacy carrier's prices.

Sometimes you just have to see it to believe it.

http://www.yapta.com will check any of your flights and will notify you of any price drop.;)

The only beef I have with SWA is the open seating process, because I never liked having to stand in line (and stay in line) prior to boarding or risk the dreaded middle seat. Still, I would fly them more often if they flew from ORD (MDW is very inconvenient to get to from my home).

However, they will start flying from MKE later this year and I will be giving them a try, especially if they fly to DTW, STL, MSP from Milwaukee (and, of course, to Florida...)

The only beef I have with SWA is the open seating process, because I never liked having to stand in line (and stay in line) prior to boarding or risk the dreaded middle seat. Still, I would fly them more often if they flew from ORD (MDW is very inconvenient to get to from my home).

However, they will start flying from MKE later this year and I will be giving them a try, especially if they fly to DTW, STL, MSP from Milwaukee (and, of course, to Florida...)

Have you flown with them since they started assigning a # along with the letter? I like this much better since you have an assigned spot once they start boarding so you don't have to stand or sit in a long lines anymore :)

Have you flown with them since they started assigning a # along with the letter? I like this much better since you have an assigned spot once they start boarding so you don't have to stand or sit in a long lines anymore :)

Nope, I have not, but I will give it a try once they start flying out of MKE. It is bound to be an improvement over the way it used to be done.

Just checked Southwest, Northwest and United fares from Minneapolis to Denver for October. Identical fares for all three airlines, all three offer non-stop flights. And this fare is CHEAPER than the other carriers were offering several months ago (was $50 higher BEFORE Southwest opened their schedule and fares for this route).

-no checked baggage fees with Southwest

-if price goes down even further, 100% of the price decrease is issued in the form of a credit, which ANYONE can use, not just the original passenger (legacy carriers charge $150 fee and only the original passenger can use the credit).

No Kool-Aid here, just taking advantage of sensible business practices.

-no checked baggage fees with Southwest

I don't pay checked bag fees with UA or with any *A carrier.

Everyone should choose the airline that works best for them. I will stick with one where status means something and I can use my FF miles to travel to Europe, etc.

Given a choice of a comparable price, I'll take Southwest any day -- and I love the open seating, especially now with assigned numbers-- much easier to avoid an undesirable seating neighbor. The only problem is that you cannot reserve right now beyond October 30. So we don;t know what the flight schedule will be when we leave until June 23 when the October 31 and beyond reservation period begins. Right now Delta has some great prices and schedules- so it may be worth pulling the trigger even though it is not Southwest.

if you do not know this, please tell your friend her ticketless funds must be used within 12 months of the date she originally purchased that air (it doesn't run from the date of the switch), and the funds are linked to the original confirmation number, so have her hold onto that cancelled ressie with the booking number for credit against her future flight.

I once was not going to be able to use my credit by the 1-year deadline, so I called them to ask if there was any way to extend it. The rep said I could pay $50 and extend the credit for a year. Something to keep in mind if your credit is substantial.

I love WN as well, last year I flew with them several times even though there are three other airports closer to my home. The airport that WN serves (RDU) is actually 1.5 hours further than those closer airports (CLT, GSO, TRI). But, I have also flown other airlines from CLT when I didn't feel like making the longer trip to RDU. For my cruise in Sept of this year, we'll be flying US from CLT (got a decent deal of $69 each way, CLT/FLL).

I fly a lot and I watch their prices everyday:eek:

If you fly a lot then concentrating your travel plans to legacy carriers is far more beneficial; no checked bag fees, priority check-in/boarding/security and upgrades, alliance benefits, lounge access, ability to redeem miles worldwide etc. etc.

I think Southwest works for the occasional leisure traveller but for those who travel even a modest amount it makes little sense to concentrate your flying to them.

I love SW. Last night I had to cancel our flight to see our youngest son and his fiance due to DH not finishing up with his jury duty (lots of sitting and waiting, but had to go back today). Our flight was at 11 AM today, and I cancelled at 3PM yesterday. No fees. I have $560 toward a future flight, which will be rebooking our flight to see the boy.

Their fares are the lowest I've found, and I check often. Even if I don't catch the lowest fare, they will honor the price drop as mentioned above.

They fly from where I want, to where I want, and our whole family, too.

We fly free to almost all our cruises because of our SW Visa. We're flying ourselves, Grandma, and one way for 2 sons and fiance this December for our family cruise.

Did I mention I love SW? :D

Nope, I have not, but I will give it a try once they start flying out of MKE. It is bound to be an improvement over the way it used to be done.

Another option is to book a Business Select ticket. Not only are you the first to be called (getting your choice of seats up front) but you can also earn 1.5 or 2 full airline credits vs. the 1 you would normally get. It does cost a bit more but definitely worth it IMO.

Archived