Cruising to Healthy

brooklynfc

They made a wonderful egg salad with no mayo and a mustard base that had lemon in it..if I could just find a way to make that here! Going to google to see if they have an online cookbook.

OMG, Marks and Spencers....they have the most wonderful sandwich fillings that are low carb if eaten alone...salmon and cream cheese, egg and mayonnaise, tuna and sweetcorn. I LOVE Marks and Spencers and I never figured out why they never ventured to the USA.

I always said that it's so much more civilized in the UK, so to hear you say the same thing is so funny! I think I must have been British in a previous life, because I feel more at home there than in FL, where I'm from, lol.

Well, I finally (I at least signed the contract) got a house! Its been a two year battle (yes, battle) trying for the loans, finding the right house, buying land that I can't use.......etc. But I think this one is going to work out and I got a great deal!

Its a modular home, but its only 5 years old. A veteran lived in it and passed away. Its in near perfect condition with some minor carpet problems from a pet that the person had (should be able to just clean it). Its 1600 sqft, 3bds, 2bth and pretty much new appliances in it (except W&D). The neighborhood coming into the subdivision is a little lower income, the sewer access is in the front yard and the actual usable yard space is limited (a culd-a-sac end piece so its shaped funny). But I made them come down to a good price (Its $44,000 less than the tax asst.) and they are paying 3% of closing.

I have to get through inspection and wait through the closing (govt loans take forever to close on!), but I should meet my goal of being out of my parent's house by my 30th bday!!!

Well, I finally (I at least signed the contract) got a house! Its been a two year battle (yes, battle) trying for the loans, finding the right house, buying land that I can't use.......etc. But I think this one is going to work out and I got a great deal!

Its a modular home, but its only 5 years old. A veteran lived in it and passed away. Its in near perfect condition with some minor carpet problems from a pet that the person had (should be able to just clean it). Its 1600 sqft, 3bds, 2bth and pretty much new appliances in it (except W&D). The neighborhood coming into the subdivision is a little lower income, the sewer access is in the front yard and the actual usable yard space is limited (a culd-a-sac end piece so its shaped funny). But I made them come down to a good price (Its $44,000 less than the tax asst.) and they are paying 3% of closing.

I have to get through inspection and wait through the closing (govt loans take forever to close on!), but I should meet my goal of being out of my parent's house by my 30th bday!!!

So happy for you! Fingers crossed for a smooth closing process. I know you've wanted this for a long time, so am so happy that the end is in sight!!:) Do you have any photos of the house to share?

So happy for you! Fingers crossed for a smooth closing process. I know you've wanted this for a long time, so am so happy that the end is in sight!!:) Do you have any photos of the house to share?

All I have now are the real estate pictures from the listing, but here they are:

http://s895.photobucket.com/user/brooke-gill/library/House

Brooke, Your house looks great. It was so nice to see you posting again.

Pcrum, you must being having a busy summer getting two kids ready for college how exciting.

Brooke how's you dad feeling is his diabetes under control?

Hope everyone had a great 4th.

Lori

Thanks Lori! I'm excited to get moved in.

My dad is doing great with his diabetes. He has lost 50lbs and hasn't had to go on insulin to control it yet. He slips every once in a while (a real soda instead of diet or more bread than he needs), but he has really stuck with it. Still smokes his cigs but I hope he will reconsider quitting soon. I think once his little grandbabies start question what grandad is doing he might.

I kinda wish I inherited his resolve.

A friend told me about the Market Pantry (Target brand) frozen chicken breasts flavored with sea salt and olive oil. They are amazing. The first time I made them I baked the breasts and then made a sauce of mushrooms sauteed in butter with some heavy cream, white wine, fresh grated romano cheese and seasoning salt. A great, low carb meal that even my kids liked.

Tonight I took the frozen chicken breasts and topped them with Rao's Vodka sauce (available at Publix and Super Walmart), which has 4 g of carbs per 1/2 cup. Then I put shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top of the sauce, and baked the chicken in the oven for 1 hour for the easiest and tastiest chicken parmesan. Another low carb meal that was so easy since you cook the chicken breasts frozen.

I now make it a point to keep a couple of bags of these frozen chicken breasts in the freezer for easy meals when I don't feel like cooking a lot!!

I also made low carb meatballs last week by combining ground beef and ground pork with garlic, basil, oregano, salt and 1 pkg of Lipton garlic and herb recipe secrets mix. Then, I cooked the meatballs on the stove and topped them with Rao's sauce and mozzarella cheese.

Also, Walmart has the Breyers Carb Smart ice cream bars with 9 g of carb per bar. It's vanilla ice cream on a stick covered in chocolate. A pretty tasty dessert for just 9 g of carbs. I don't have one every day, but for a treat, it's a pretty low carb treat. Also, Walgreens has Blue Diamond almonds in salted caramel flavor, with 7 g of carbs per 28 nuts. I have only seen this flavor at Walgreens. It is the same with the chili lime flavor of Blue Diamond almonds...I can only find that flavor at Walgreens whereas only Publix has the Blue Diamond salt and vinegar flavored almonds. So, I do drive around town looking for my flavored almonds!! But, Walgreens and Publix often put the almonds as a buy 1, get one free, so we stock up during the sales.

Hope everyone is having a good summer!!

Edited by pcrum

Brooke, you aren't the only homebuyer here! I have a contract in on a townhome in the suburb where I grew up. I'm only 5 minutes from my sister and ten minutes from my boyfriend, though we're talking about moving in together. It's a 3 BR 2.5 bath with 2500 square feet; a big change from my 700 square foot condo in Chicago! I'm going to rent out my condo, so I'm going to have two mortgages, which is kind of scary.

I had 3 large goals for 2013 - new relationship, new house, and new job. I got the first two; now I need to focus on the job, though I need to stick around until Sept 1 to get my bonus and exercise some stock options. It's so crazy...my boyfriend and I went to high school together. We actually dated a bit back then. Hadn't seen each other in 17 years. I was at a fundraiser, saw his name listed as one of the volunteers (he has an unusual last name). I asked someone about him, he put me in contact, we made plans to catch up, and we've been going strong since. He met my sister, bro in law, and my nephews last night. All went well! Things are looking up!

However, with dating him, I've put on some weight...ugh. Full force diet starts today!

You are where I was in 2012..But mine was a marriage and when I saw how much weight had crept up I took action. It was painful and I'd cried the first few days but the end result was my wedding dress being taken in 6 inches. I changed my career slightly and went more into research and teaching at university here but still do my clinical stuff.

I just came back from a quick trip to Jamaica. My ex's family bought me a ticket to visit them there..so crazy..when I dumped him they sorta tossed him out of the family and kept me in..they never call him to invite him to stuff unless I decline first..sad but funny. I ate and ate and didn't gain anything but maintained so I'm happy. But need to get into a serious training mode again for a half marathon in October.

Glad everyone is enjoying. P. Crum, did you look at the Marks and Spencer webite? Loving the clothes!

Brooke, you aren't the only homebuyer here! I have a contract in on a townhome in the suburb where I grew up. I'm only 5 minutes from my sister and ten minutes from my boyfriend, though we're talking about moving in together. It's a 3 BR 2.5 bath with 2500 square feet; a big change from my 700 square foot condo in Chicago! I'm going to rent out my condo, so I'm going to have two mortgages, which is kind of scary.

I had 3 large goals for 2013 - new relationship, new house, and new job. I got the first two; now I need to focus on the job, though I need to stick around until Sept 1 to get my bonus and exercise some stock options. It's so crazy...my boyfriend and I went to high school together. We actually dated a bit back then. Hadn't seen each other in 17 years. I was at a fundraiser, saw his name listed as one of the volunteers (he has an unusual last name). I asked someone about him, he put me in contact, we made plans to catch up, and we've been going strong since. He met my sister, bro in law, and my nephews last night. All went well! Things are looking up!

However, with dating him, I've put on some weight...ugh. Full force diet starts today!

It has been a tough two weeks or so. My knee started hurting all the way down to my ankle, so I took a break from exercise. Then I developed a UTI. I was fine that morning........that evening.......horrible. I got treated for it with a 3 day pill and that didn't work. Then they gave me another 7 days (and yes, they did a culture and this med was supposed to work) and after the 7 days and really throughout it I still didn't feel right. In the middle of it, the inflammation from the infection caused my disc to flare and I had to go into the chiropractor twice. I went to the Dr. this week after my antibiotics were done and I was still having symptoms and this Dr. refused to give me anymore antibiotics or even the stuff that takes the pressure off. She did say the test said I had an infection and that she would send a culture off.

Well I'm leaving tomr. morning for the beach and I told her that. She said they would call me with results on my cell phone Monday and call me in something at the beach. Sooooooo that means I have an infection and she wanted me to go 6 full days without ANYTHING. I even called back later when the symptoms were worse and she still said no.

Normally, I'm not a pushy person, but I KNEW something was wrong. So I went to urgent care that evening. Guess what?

Not only did I still have an infection but he said it was pretty nasty and that there was signs of a kidney infection. He gave me a shot of antibiotics and pills for 7 days (that I take three times a day) with the stuff that helps the pressure. He said when I got back to call and he would refer me to a Urologist, seeing how I haven't had a UTI in years and this one was so out of the blue and harsh.

I'm feeling much better. In fact I was feeling much better the next day and now I'm almost feeling normal again. I'm VERY glad that I followed my instinct and went to the urgent care. I'm still very upset that the other clinic dr. was going to have me go that long. If I did what she said I would have been in the hospital. And frankly, I don't want that bill.....

B/c my contract on the house was finally ratified and the loan papers are signed and in. Now, I wait for the loan to be processed and we should close sometime at the end of August (I hope).

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is very quite since Brooke doesn't post that often anymore.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Brooke, I hope all is going well with your house.

Lori

:) I agree, it has been a really busy summer for me but I do think about Brooke now and then. Hope it is your house that is keeping you busy.

I actually just have been plain busy. The house doesn't close until August 23rd, well its supposed to. So I won't be too busy with that for a few more weeks.

I'm doing okay. I'm just living life and not letting numbers on a scale bother me. I've decided that my size and weight isn't important. I want to be happy and stronger. And I don't have to measure that by a scale or measuring tape, period. So I'm just doing the things that make me happy and stronger. Yoga, cardio, weights and being in the gym as much as I can. I still use WW b/c its a good tool to at least keep me stable.

Was in on Monday for a CT scan to see if I have kidney stones b/c I've had a UTI for three weeks. Haven't got the results yet though.

And I just happened to jog (maybe more like trotted) a half mile yesterday for no reason, other than I just wanted to see if I could.

Other than that, I'm happy and just enjoying life.

Hope all is well with everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Brooke :) How are things going? No post for a while hope all is good and the house is moving along. :) I have been enjoying life also trying to pick a cruise, I am still not sure about Alaska, I love warm hate cold but the beauty might win out my neighbors are due back next week they went to Alaska for a month. I would so love to do Hawaii, no one flies in my house so it would be a really long drive to California then like a 17 day cruise, maybe in a dream I could vacation that long :rolleyes: it is a thought. Post when you have a free moment and tell us how the house is going.

The closing was postponed because the seller (Veterans Affairs) who has had the Title paperwork since August 1st, had not completed it. We are still waiting on them to do the paperwork, which has had a rush put on it and we are already another week and half gone. My rate is only protected until Sept. 16 and my Fall work season starts next weekend along with my nephew's bday.

My grandfather has been in the hospital and nursing homes for months now and they have made the decision to bring him home. Though no one is fully admitting it, this is just the next step in letting him go. Recovery isn't very likely at this point, so his children have given in to him wanting to come home and they are doing so at a great expense (but money really isn't the point). So, I have a feeling we will be going to another funeral in the next few months or more and I will be down to one grandparent, which makes me really sad. And maybe I haven't realized how sad that has made me.

On another note, the boys should be adopted.......if all goes well......by the end of September if not before. Our little miss is 8 months old now and skipped crawling and is going straight to standing up. And we found out her mother is expecting another baby to which my brother and SIL are considering taking on. So, a family of four they may be. Three in diapers............and they just got little miss sleeping through the night. I do love the babies though.

Started jogging/trotting. I do about 10 mins at 3.0 on the treadmill (about half a mile) 2x a week. I do that and I do the weight machines at 40lbs 3x reps. I'm cont. yoga 2wice a week for an hour also. Next week they start water zumba at lunch and I will probably add that in b/c the reg. zumba makes my knee swell. I'm also doing a walking challenge at work. I'm a team captain and we are using pedometers to count our steps for each week (work hours) for the month of September. I'm not really competitive so I don't care if we win or not, but its interesting to see that I only avg (so far, we are only 3 days in) 4,000 or so steps a day from about 8am-6pm. And that is with exercise involved. CRAZY, I know. No wonder I've been settled in my weight for so long. Sooooo, so way or another I've got to find time to do more moving.

Food is still an issue. I'm hoping to recommend to the Wellness committee at work that some kind of counseling should be offered with the program we are starting. If I could make a breakthrough with my "want" of food......then I might actually have a chance. Though, I'm very happy with my progress and I feel great for the most part.

Would love to lose a few lbs before my friends wedding next year, if only so the bridesmaid dress won't cost as much............

Good luck with the house, Brooke. It can definitely be a headache getting in, but so worth it when you actually own your home!!

Congratulations on the jogging too...I've done the treadmill, but only a fast paced walk! Good for you for keeping at it!!:)

We have been keeping busy...got 2 kids successfully moved into college. A lot of work and expense, but both seem happy and are doing well, so that's what matters.

I went for a dr visit and had lost 7 lbs since my last visit 3 months prior. The weight loss is definitely slowing down, but at least it's going in the right direction!! This is "magical dining month" in Orlando where the high end restaurants offer 3 course meals for $33 a person, so I don't expect to see great results this month, lol. Even though I don't eat bread or potatoes, I do partake of the desserts and enjoy a glass of wine with dinner.

It really has become a way of life avoiding carbs though. I simply don't eat pasta, bread or potatoes and don't eat sweets at home. I keep sugar free jello at home and the Emerald chocolate almonds when I want something sweet. I feel so much better avoiding carbs!

I needed one more cruise before 12/13/13 to be platinum under the old guidelines, so DH and I are traveling on the Ecstasy during Thanksgiving week. It's just an hour to Port Canaveral from our home and although the Bahamas are not our favorite destination, I've never been to Half Moon Cay, so am looking forward to that port. We debated about whether to do it or not, but since it was just one more cruise and the price was right, we decided to go ahead. It will just be the two of us, as DS is staying in NYC for Thanksgiving, as his father is coming to visit him and DD didn't want to miss Monday and Tuesday of classes at her college. We return Thanksgiving day and will get with DD then and have dinner.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Closed on the house Monday. I commenced cleaning that evening after work. The carpets were cleaned yesterday (unfortunately, some of the pet stains left behind are not coming up..........and i will have to work to neutralize the smell more) and I finished the majority of the major cleaning while the carpet were cleaned. I want to hit the lights and fans for dust and such, but my ceilings are 8-9ft tall so I can't reach them without a ladder. I decided to try and not take off of work until Friday. My boss put a cabash on time off this month, but she is making exceptions for me, so I'm trying to be greedy. But I see the chiro on Friday morning and the cable guy is supposed to come sometime in the afternoon. I figure I can sort through stuff while I'm waiting on the cable guy.

I haven't made it to the gym at all this week. I feel I might have to take a step back on the jogging because of it. I hope not. I really like working my way up. Its not a strong jog, but it gets my heart rate up and my bp down. I will work on the strength of it once I get the time in. I want to reach 30 mins. by the end of the year. However, I have been active this week with cleaning, packing etc. so I don't feel like I've completely cheated myself. Though I've been eating out a lot due to having to be in two places at once. Its not good, but I'm trying to at least limit my portions.

That's probably more insight into my health than I've given in a while.

Pcrum- I've never been to Freeport. It seems to me people say you need to get past the port to another part of the island to really do anything.

Good Luck!

Hi P-

Not sure where you are docking, I believe there are two ports there.I took the Bahamas Celebration out of West Palm once and we docked at the dock where the cargo ships come in and were bussed into the main marketplace area. We spent the day at the Raddison on the beach-lovely hotel and beach and we could walk to the casino and the marketplace.

Compared to other carib ports I've been in, it's a lot smaller. The typical touristy marketplace, etc. I'd be more inclined to do an outdoor excursion. Assuming it's the same marketplace, (Freeport isn't that big) you would go through that pretty quick. Maybe do an excursion then hit the town after. That's about all I know, and I loved the Bahamas Celebration ship, it was really a great little cruise line just to go to the Bahamas and you could even purchase a "drink"package (I'm not a drinker but plenty took advantage of it)

Forgot to say, if anyone has been to Freeport and has suggestions on things to do, please share them with me. That is a new port for us, so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!!:)

• 4 weeks later...