Frog & onion.......

MBurke17

We are thinking about going to the Frog and Onion for something to eat when in Bermuda...can anyone tell me what the food, atmosphere and prices are like?

Thanks,

Michael

They also brew their own ale and beer!;)

When we were there two years ago, the service was horrible. I have years of restaurant/serving experience and typically give servers the benefit of the doubt. Our server was clearly having a terrible day or week or something and made no attempt to hide it. The only times we saw her were when she took out order and gave us the check and both times she was borderline rude. A fifteen percent gratuity is included on each check. I typically leave a lot more than that, but not in this case.

Service aside, the atmosphere was really unique and the food was fine. Enjoy if you go. Odds are you'll get a better server! I doubt we'll return.

-KBG

We go the Frog & Onion each time we are in Bermuda and love it...Happy Hour is great 2 - 4, most days they have live music a great atmosphere. The food is Traditional Pub Food and I love I think they call it pub pies. So yah I say check it out for yourself.

The Frog and Onion is nothing special....pretty much a tourist trap with not great service and overpricing. Walk a bit to the far side of the tourist area and shops, away from the cruise docking area and discover the Freeport Seafood Restaurant (just before the bridge):

http://freeportseafood.com/

Best fish and chips on the island. Surprisingly good curry dishes. Fun owners Larry and Kathy, and you will even get to meet locals instead of just fellow cruise passengers. We were there a few weeks ago and spent several fun hours for lunch and pleasant conversation, lingering for beers in the side garden listening to sailing stories and swapping tales!

The Frog and Onion is nothing special....pretty much a tourist trap

I'm wondering, because I'm not a tourist, what exactly qualifies an establishment as a tourist trap? I've been escaping work at Frong n Onion for a few years now and I enjoy it. You can meet locals there (I'm in there quite a bit, especially when my boss is on a rampage) and I see a lot of other locals who work in Dockyard. I also hang out at Freeport Gardens, but not too much because it's kinda close to work. I really like FG but is it any better or worse than FO? I don't think so but FO is no better or worse than FG, but Freeport definitely has a killer fish sandwich. As far as service goes I have seen people at less than their best everywhere and I wouldn't write off a place just because the human being serving me was not having a good day, which could happen to any human being, I've been to FG and seen some staff perform at a less than optimal level. I also like Barracuda because you can see the road outside which is very handy because you can see when the cops roll up and you can escape out the back door. Not that I've ever had to do that.

We only stopped for drinks, but our server was very attentive and friendly...I would even say patient, as we were in such a bad mood when we arrived that we were extremely indecisive.

I don't imagine there's much of a need for bouncers in Bermuda...after all, who can afford to over-imbibe? (We spent $28 US on those two drinks...we would never pay anything like that at home, but I enjoyed mine thoroughly! As an added bonus, because I don't drink much and the beverage contained an ounce each of Goslings and Bermuda Gold, it certainly perked up my mood!)

Okay, there's not much point to this story. I'm just really missing Bermuda and using any excuse to talk about it! :p

we went to the frog and onion last week and paid $264 for a party of six. we all got drinks (i think two of us ordered more than one drink), we all ordered entrees and two appetizers for the table. price included tip. the food was okay as was the service. the beer is good, i think i got the somer's ale which was really tasty. liked the pub atmosphere.

Jesus Christ, $28? Are there any places that aren't expensive to get a drink, like maybe $2-3 for a beer?

Um, yes: In the States! :rolleyes: Don't forget, all the stuff we're accustomed to on a daily basis at home has to be shipped into Bermuda (well, except for seafood). And let's face it, tourism is how the Island survives.

Bdaguy' date=' that's too funny. ;) Have a place just like it...[/i']

Jesus Christ, $28? Are there any places that aren't expensive to get a drink, like maybe $2-3 for a beer?

Depends how far you want to travel. In St Georges the White Horse Tavern has happy hour from 5 pm to 7 pm and beer is 3.50 as well as other selected cocktails.

BDAGUY....didn't mean to offend you. You're probably right....the definition of a tourist trap varies depending on when you're there. We probably hit the F&O at one of those worst possible times: a party of six New Yorkers with Yankee outfits taking all the bartenders' time to try to figure out what they wanted and what a fair price to pay for the same would be. After ten minutes of waiting to even be acknowledged, we settled in for a warm couple of beers that set me back over $20 with tip. Grant you, it is a nice setting and I can see having fun there at a better time.

I guess we got lucky at Freeport Seafood as we decided to eat at the bar and it was quiet. Met a couple friendly locals, and Kathy, the bartender and wife of Valerio (Larry), was very accommodating. Then spent some time outside watching the aforementioned Larry work while we listened to stories from Leroy about sailing and life in general. Just a pleasant way to while away a few hours.....but I must admit I still dropped $110 for the pleasure. We love Bermuda and will definitely return. It's only money anyway, and it sure beats the Caribbean Islands or Florida.

We never fail to see someone we know when we eat at the F&O. A lot of locals will have something to eat there before seeing a movie next door. And if they still have it get the Sail Loft for dessert. It's a large profiterole: choux pastry, ice cream, hot chocolate sauce and whipped cream. I usually ask nicely and get extra ice cream and sauce. I find a fork and spoon works best for tearing off bite sized pieces of pastry.

We haven't been to Freeport since my sister and I were kids and the owner told our parents "don't bring your little monsters back here". This was like 15 years ago mind, probably different owners now.

I also like Barracuda because you can see the road outside which is very handy because you can see when the cops roll up and you can escape out the back door. Not that I've ever had to do that.

Make that Bonefish, not Barracuda

Quake no offense taken, I'm just genuinely interested to know what makes a place a tourist trap so I can use this info when I go on vacation!

Make that Bonefish, not Barracuda!

We were at the Bonfish Grill last Mother's Day when I got the call that my my Mom had passed away back home. Needless to say I was visably upset and the Bar Manager was the nicest anyone has ever treated me. He offered his condolence and he and the rest of the bar staff did their best to cheer me up.

We never tried the food (which gets bad reviews) but I can attest to the drinks and the caring staff. If you happen into this place tell Adam I said hello!

We went to the F&O while in Bermuda and took some pictures. If you check out my website listed below and go to the restaurant section and scroll down you will see three sets of pics that we took. The food was ok and the portions were large, but the price shell shocked us. But as others have mentioned everything in Bermuda is expensive. There was four of us and we each had a soft drink, a hamburg and fries and it came to $78.00 without the tip. We were unhappy with the unappetizing decor that was around us as you can see from the pics with the melted wax and blackened wall.

http://bermudacruise2.shutterfly.com/

• 3 weeks later...
BDAGUY....didn't mean to offend you. You're probably right....the definition of a tourist trap varies depending on when you're there. We probably hit the F&O at one of those worst possible times: a party of six New Yorkers with Yankee outfits taking all the bartenders' time to try to figure out what they wanted and what a fair price to pay for the same would be. After ten minutes of waiting to even be acknowledged, we settled in for a warm couple of beers that set me back over $20 with tip. Grant you, it is a nice setting and I can see having fun there at a better time.

I guess we got lucky at Freeport Seafood as we decided to eat at the bar and it was quiet. Met a couple friendly locals, and Kathy, the bartender and wife of Valerio (Larry), was very accommodating. Then spent some time outside watching the aforementioned Larry work while we listened to stories from Leroy about sailing and life in general. Just a pleasant way to while away a few hours.....but I must admit I still dropped $110 for the pleasure. We love Bermuda and will definitely return. It's only money anyway, and it sure beats the Caribbean Islands or Florida.

I guess you don't like New Yorkers or is it just the Yankees you dislike. What a shame that the bartender didn't just stop what he was doing just for you. And people think we New Yorkers are rude!

• 1 year later...

We were there last trip to Bermuda (Fall of 2008) and had a fun time. It is on our list for our dockyards day of our Sept 5 cruise. I think what I had was called Hamburger Pizza. And we both tried different drinks in souvenir glasses. (And they are very accomodating about this. So you get a clean glass to take with you, you turn in your glass at the gift shop and they replace it with a clean paper-wrapped glass.)

Archived