Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VacationGirl

Just back - Grandeur of the Seas any Questions?

Good Morning~

Just back from our cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas. Had a great time and the crew was outstanding! If you have any questions ask away...

Marsha

We have friends on Splendour now, and wondering if she is scheduled for Key West. If so, which day of the week does she stop there?

VABeach~ No pictures yet...still unpacking but loved the ship and we had PERFECT weather for the entire cruise. Embarking and disembarkation were the easiest we've every experienced! On the ship by 11:30 am and off yesterday and in a cab by 8:30 am. (We had a suite so I know that helped some)

Shirljean~ Not sure of the Splendour's itinerary but you could check RCI's website and maybe they have the schedule listed there. We sailed from New Orleans and RCI substituted Key West for Grand Cayman at the last moment.

Marsha

VacationGirl,

What category suite did you have and how did you like it? Are there any perks and/or priveleges for suites? Any other information would be appreciated.

We are booked in a Grand Suite on the Grandeur for 1/15, and we're really looking forward to it.

Chad

Good Morning~

Just back from our cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas. Had a great time and the crew was outstanding! If you have any questions ask away...

Marsha

We'll be there on Saturday--did you say that Grand Cayman wasn't available?

Did you have any excursions planned for George Town? Did you get a refund or credits?

We've never taken a cruise before and I'm so glad to have found this site.

Hoover Cruiser~ We found out the RCI was changing our stop from Grand Cayman to Key West about a week before our actual cruise. Our travel agent let us know and since I had privately reserved a stingray city tour thru Captain Marvin's I called them to cancel. We were not charged for anything. Their particular website also listed that they would not charge you if for any reason your ship was unable to make this port. They were very nice about it and sorry we wouldn't be seeing Grand Cayman. (When we spoke to the crew on Grandeur about Grand Cayman they all replied how the island still is not back to normal and that a lot of damage is still visable) I would check with your travel agent this week to see if you will be going there!

ChadM~ We also had a GS cabin (#8014) and my husband and I loved it! We usually book JS cabins and now prefer the additional space that we had in the GS category. What a great bathroom too...double sinks, great bath and lots of room. I usually bring a over the door shoe organizer and in these cabins there is no need to pack that anymore! Lots of closet space, drawers everywhere, nice size fridge...it was great! Our cabin steward worked very hard for us and was always available or invisible as needed...what cabin number are you in for your cruise? We are platinum on RCI so we usually get priority embarking and disembarking so that's a favorite of ours but that's about it for the suite perks on Grandeur.

Marsha

Bananarama~

CD & staff were okay...have seen better and the production shows were the usual. We had a group of 110 so the shows were enjoyed and I don't believe you go on a cruise to see the same calibur shows as Vegas etc...but we did enjoy them. Magic show was good and as always the game shows were very funny! They didn't have the same talent show as usual but instead did a kareoke show (sp?) which was a nice change.

When are you going?

Marsha

VacationGirl,

We are in 8016, which should be one cabin back toward the middle of the ship from yours. Is the balcony on the island side or sea side in the different ports?

I would absolutely love to see some pics of the cruise and especially the room.

Chad

Thanks Marsha, I am going January 3 and can't wait...Do they have different themed dances, like 70's disco night, western, etc??? Just want to know if I should pack some fun stuff too!

We are thinking of booking the Grandeur for this Saturday, last minute. Is she all decked out for Christmas? Did they do anything special because of the Christmas season?

Did you have much time in Key West? I have heard Grand Caymen is not very pretty right now, so I'd love to go to Key West instead to buy some Shoes. We have been on the Grandeur before and loved her.

Chadm~

You'll love the cabin! It's in a great location and very easy to help yourself to the Windjammer for early morning coffee! I think you'll have the same room steward, Ziggi and he was so friendly always with a smile and a greeting. On Key West our cabin faced Sunset Key and not the island of Key West until we left that port. But we were face in not aft first (like Carnival who was aft in). My husband is working on the pictures but he's been swamped since we got back so hopefully soon...will let you know once ready!

Bananarama~

They had a theme dance held one night and it was a sock-hop 50's dance. The Viking Crown Lounge changed their musical theme every night and the most popular was disco night. The lounge was packed! Have a great cruise!

Kendy~

The ship was beautiful and as we were packing on Friday night the chefs were setting out a whole gingerbread village on deck 5. It was great! They have trees setup in every venue and poinsettias lining the centrum steps. On the pool deck the have colored lights coming down from the Viking Crown Lounge to the pool, very cool! I love cruising at this time of year as it really helps set the Holiday mood for me! Hopefully you'll take advantage of the cruising opportunity. Enjoy! Our time in Key West was from 7 am - 2 pm, would have loved a little longer but glad we were able to go.

Marsha

The ship was beautiful and as we were packing on Friday night the chefs were setting out a whole gingerbread village on deck 5. It was great! They have trees setup in every venue and poinsettias lining the centrum steps. On the pool deck the have colored lights coming down from the Viking Crown Lounge to the pool, very cool! I love cruising at this time of year as it really helps set the Holiday mood for me!

Marsha, thanks for a wonderful description of the Christmas decorations and all the other great comments -- I can't wait to see them ... we leave this Saturday, the 18th!!

One question -- do you know if they had a Catholic service on Sunday? Or maybe some type of non-denominational service if not a Catholic one?

Thanks again!!

Beth

we are sailing on jan 3 as well. you might be in for a treat. the spa city dance club will have a bunch of folks aboard. there will be dance workshops and dance sessions. i am not sure of all the details but will try to find out and post here later. the music we dance to is the 50's, 60's big band etc. we mainly do the east coast swing type music. so you may in for a bopping good time.

Beth I see you are going on the Grandeur on Sat 18th. Do you have any teenagers. Believe it or not mine are not excited about going on this cruise. They have been on a cruise or 2 every year and wonder what new they can do.

Hi Kendy!

Yes, we will have some teenagers. My sister has a 13 y/o daughter. A friend from Arizona that is joining us will have three girls ages 16, 15 and 13 and her friend has two girls, 17 and 13. My brother's friends have a 17 y/o son coming along too. Lots of girls, which could be good or bad for your teenagers!! How old are they? Boys or girls, or both?

Also, there is a thread started under the Meet and Mingle section of people going on this cruise ... other teenagers listed there as well.

I see you are from Lafayette. Great city! My sister and brother-in-law live in Carenco ... they'll be on the cruise too.

Did anyone in your group have an owner's suite...every site that i find has different pics of the room! But I sure am glad someone is posting some good Q and A. Thanks for all your great info and yes looking forward to seeing your pics also. How about buying liquor on board the first night as some have said about different things? THANKS

Does the granduer have a midnight buffet? if so is it in the windjammer or in the dinning room? Someone mentioned a gala buffet, if the granduer has a gala buffet, is it in the windjammer or dinning room? Thanks

They have one gala midnight buffet and it is in the dining room on the second formal night. They go around with snacks in designated areas every night. Also, on Caribbean night, they have a buffet out by the pool during the pool party.

Kendy, we're also on the Grandeur this saturday. We'll have two 16 year-old girls, two 19 year-old twin girls, and 20 and 21 year old boys (excuse me, young men). They'll be PLENTY teens this week since kids are out of school.

Sandy

Just got our Docs today for the 1/15 sailing!!! It's really starting to sink in now.

Marsha, I know I asked a similar question earlier, but did you say that suites got priority embarkation and debarkation?

I am getting so excited, my DH24, mom, dad, aunt, uncle, grandma, and cousins 21 & 18 will all be aboard the Grandeur this Saturday. It is my husband and I's first cruise. I have started packing, but just can't decide what "themed" things I need to bring. I want to be prepared! Any major recommedations? I have read our cruise documents as far as clothing requirments. But, any more specific info would be great!

Only four more days!

I 've never booked anything this close before. We cruise once or twice a year but this is crazy!!. We are bringing our 2 youngest, a girl,-15 and boy-13. Also our son who is in Med school is coming with his girlfriend. We are thrilled. It will be like one Christmas on the boat and one when we get home.[ That's only if I get everything done before we leave}.

Does anyone know if we are going to Grand Caymen or Key West for sure and will we have 1 or 2 formal nights on this 6 day. Will they still serve Lobster on a 6 day? They do not on a 5 day?