All Things Galveston Island, Texas!

Texas Teen

Just back from our bachelorette party weekend in Galveston! We stayed at Escapes! down on the western end of the island. LOVED it! The rooms were gorgeous, the pool and hot tub were awesome, and the beach was nice! Just a little seaweed...wish they would clean the beach like they do on the eastern end beaches. I did step on a crab, and he drew blood on my toe, but didn't let that ruin anything for me! LOL I just sat on the beach in shallow water where I could see the bottom after that! We ate at Boudreaux's on the Bayou. The food was good, but the place was dead for a Saturday night. They advertised live music, but said they couldn't book anyone. Also VERY slow service, for no more people that were there. We ended up walking the Strand, and wound up in Boomba, an upstairs club. Lots of fun.....loud music and lots of dancing! Ate breakfast at I-Hop, and waited about an hour for the ferry going home. I did get to see my beloved Conquest from the ferry! Was wishing I was heading back to board her, instead of going home!

My parents are timeshare owners at Escapes. We do really like going there as well. It's nice to have a pretty place actually on the beach and not have to cross Seawall Blv. We used to stay at the Galvez before my parents bought in to Escapes. I think that the Escapes maintainance is supposed to rake the beach every day. We'll be there the wek of July 12th and really looking forward to it! Glad you ladies had a good time!

I tried to stay awake and watch The Today Show, (I've been excited to see the show), but I couldn't stay awake to see it! :( (I woke up @ 6:30 am) I can't believe I missed it! :eek: :(

On the positive side, I'm going to Houston next week, and might be going to Galveston for a day or 2 during my visit in he Houston area!! :D I hope I'll be in Galveston next week!

I tried to stay awake and watch The Today Show, (I've been excited to see the show), but I couldn't stay awake to see it! :( (I woke up @ 6:30 am) I can't believe I missed it!...

Al Roker brings $540,600 to island charity

Click here http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=63f65eac327b9196 for info on what you missed.

Kat 030106YA32_prv.gif

Landry to sell Flagship or develope pier

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=d485a9762bcdb29f

and

Many Galveston landmarks to be rebuilt

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6500746.html

and

The piers and their plan

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/6500121.html

Enjoy!!!

Go to new Olympia Grill on port and see view and sunset.

Sounds great, but my aunt says she's planning to take my mom & I to Fisherman's Wharf!

Landry to sell Flagship or develope pier

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=d485a9762bcdb29f

and

Many Galveston landmarks to be rebuilt

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6500746.html

and

The piers and their plan

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/6500121.html

I'm so excited the're rebuilding Murdochs! This is great news! I'll be sure to take many pictures!

I read the article in the Chronicle today. It is really great that they have decided to reopen the hospital. With the closing of the hospitals in Galveston due to Hurricane Ike and other financial reasons, it has left a great void in medical care for people in Southeast Texas.

I'm 1st time cruiser and will be treating Galveston as our 1st port....2 days in Galveston.....

Recommend going to Galveston.com and look up restaurants....this web site isn't all about the web cams...looks at whats to do and where to eat and the history of those restaurants....we found one that wasn't de-segregated until 1989....food for thought...and it was the first one to do this...It's call the Drug Store...great breakfast....so I'm told...just lots of stuff to do and to eat.....

Recommendation - do your research

I'm 1st time cruiser and will be treating Galveston as our 1st port....2 days in Galveston.....

Recommend going to Galveston.com and look up restaurants....this web site isn't all about the web cams...looks at whats to do and where to eat and the history of those restaurants....we found one that wasn't de-segregated until 1989....food for thought...and it was the first one to do this...It's call the Drug Store...great breakfast....so I'm told...just lots of stuff to do and to eat.....

Recommendation - do your research

What do you mean? Are you saying Galveston restaurants weren't desegregated until 1989???

Does the trolley still run? Nope

How can you get around without a car/taxi? Taxi is fine

Are there any buses? Yes, but they're a little sketchy.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Taking a cab to downtown and walking around is your best bet.

Oh and Star Drug Store was the first to be desegregated in Galveston, but it was well before 1989. I just read it on the menu this weekend, but I forget the date. Way before 1989!!

I have lived in the South all my life and I've lived in the Houston/Galveston area since 1978. I really don't believe that the Star Drug Store wasn't desegrated until 1989.

I meant to say desegregated...oops.

Taking a cab to downtown and walking around is your best bet.

Oh and Star Drug Store was the first to be desegregated in Galveston, but it was well before 1989. I just read it on the menu this weekend, but I forget the date. Way before 1989!!

Thanks for clarifying that question...that's what I thought as well!

Thanks for clarifying that question...that's what I thought as well!

I think I may have read the original question wrong, but it was hard to tell since it was just sentence fragments. The poster may have said that there was one that wasn't desegregated until 1989, but Star was the first. Who knows! Take home point: Galveston restaurants are no longer segregated!:D

• 1 month later...

Archived