antcindee

Anxious for comments from Dec 4 Opera sailing!!!!

Hi all,

I am very anxious to hear all your comments regarding the December 4th sailing on the Opera, I am sure I am not alone in wanting to hear all, good and bad!!!!

Please tell us how it was and what those of us who are sailing the ship in future have to look forward to

Thanks in advance

You are not alone. Booked on the Jan. 29th sailing and can't wait to here reviews of this past sailing. PLEASE PLEASE tell us what those of you who were on the Dec. 4th sailing thought of everything. Thanks in advance!!! :)

Aaron

Me too, Feb 26 cruise date and dying of curiosity. food, entertainment, facilities, ports o' call ... EVERYTHING! C'mon, somebody. I want to know especially what the gripes were ... a previous poster mentioned some people said they'd never travel MSC again. I deliberately avoided the inaugural because of the possibility of kinks on the first trip of the first Caribbean season of a new ship. So I think we ought to be quite understanding of that when the reviews do come up.

I posted this elsewhere on this board. Here is what I wrote:

I just thought I would share my parents review...having just gotten off the MSC OPERA just a few days ago.

My parents sailed last week out of Ft. Lauderdale. My dad seemed to like it more than Mom. He felt that there are some kinks that need to be ironed out around customer service, but after these problems are fixed, things should be alright. He does understand that this is a European line entering the American market.

HOWEVER..

They did have a *major* problem onboard. Their cabin was emitting some sort of "sewer" smell, and it was beyond aweful at night. They requested that it be looked at SEVERAL times over the course of 3 days, but no one truly addressed the problem. They were told that the ship was sold out and they could not move. The sewer gas smell was coming from the vents.. and then from the faucet as well!! They were in an inside cabin on one of the high decks. Their steward had told them that there had been several complaints about that cabin in the past few weeks, so this wasn't the first time.

After several complaints and requests to see the manager, my mom was finally able to get an appointment with him (Anthony C....). She was very angry because she felt that the staff was giving them the total run around. She actually was told... "don't worry it will be fixed in a couple of days" and this was mid-way through the cruise. UNACCEPTABLE!! So they saw the Manager, and he said there was a cabin available for them to move to because some people left the ship in St. Thomas. Wonder why?

Later in the week, my parents noticed the same smell when going toward the cabins in the back of the ship which was verified by a staff member. So there must be some weird "sewer ventallation" thing going on that they are not properly addressing!

My mom's review: the food "just alright..nothing spectacular" ... service "great steward, but the people at the front desk were rude. The situation they went through with the room was ridiculous. She also said that the waiters treated them like it was the last night of the cruise...every night."

She also said it took an extremely long time to board the ship. Mom was also very upset about St. Croix, but understands that it was probably out of the ship's hands.

On a positive note, my parents said that the ship is quite beautiful and tasteful. They also commented that the entertainment was the best they had ever seen.

That said, Mom says she has no interest to sail MSC again, while Dad is receptive to sailing them again once they get things worked out. As a referece, in the past they have sailed with Holland, Celebrity, RCCL and Costa. Mom plans to write one huge letter to MSC about the problems on board.

Tofubeast is the purpose of Mums "huge letter" in the hope that MSC will give her a generous discount on her next cruise with them?

Am I alone in getting a bad feeling when people choose to make multiple posts of identical nature?

It would also be good if Norma acknowledged that she posted ONLY her own personal view - a view with which others on the same cruise disagree as can be read on here and elsewhere.

An interesting statement by tofubeast was:

"She also said that the waiters treated them like it was the last night of the cruise...every night."

Well that sounds wonderful to me , I have ususally found the waiters on the last night to be relaxed and chatty, they know all your preferences by then so life is easier for them.

We usually get to hear all about their home and family and they sometimes grab a guitar from somwhere and sing one of their folksongs - or Elvis songs!

Then there's lots of handshaking and fond farewells.

I guess that's not what tofubeast meant but for the life of me I cannot imagine what derogatory behaviour they were allegedly treated to.

On a different subject - can anyone who has just come off Opera tell me if the wine is still affordably priced at dinner and was wine served free at lunchtime - which I believe has been the case on MSC european cruises.I believe there may be a wine package you can buy upfront or on embarkation - is this available - I will be on Lirica not Opera but I guess it might be the same modus operandum.

I only posted twice because there were 2 posts asking about feedback on here, so why not put the response in both places in case people miss it? I don't believe I should be questioned for putting it in two places.

My mom's comment about being treated like it is the last night was because on many cruise lines there is a "depressing feeling" on the last night and the last breakfast. Meaning the waiters are not as chipper and friendly as they are the rest of the cruise. She noticed this feeling the entire week in the dining room. This is HER point of view.... you asked for feedback so I am just sharing it with you. There were other minor things regarding the dining room. My dad had a talk with the head waiter, and noticed that service did improve. So if there are complaints, it is always good to speak up.. in a polite way of course.

Re: wine... parents said that wine was VERY reasonable on the Opera. The other more "tropical drinks" were typical cruise ship prices.

re: my mom's letter. It is not to get money back or a discount. She just wants them to know the troubles (i.e. lack of customer service) they faced in having the "Sewer gas" situation rectified. Lines like to hear from their clients so they can improve themselves.

tofubeast -- thank you for your posting. i appreciate all the reviews on these boards and have asked for several in regards to the opera. it's a shame about how much of a brawl these boards turn into at times when people express their opinions (or relay someone else's). I will be cruising on Opera Jan 8 and can't wait. but i just wanted to thank you for posting in spite of the grief that has been hurled back.

Thank you so much for your comments. The only reason I share what my mom had to say is so if you do have "sewer gas" problems on your sailing, you know that it is an ongoing problem. I certainly hope it is not an issue you have to face. That is why my mom wanted me to share with your her opinions. I am sure that MSC, like other lines, takes feedback seriously and that things will change in the future sailings. I wish you a wonderful voyage! I sure wish I could go!

tofubeast, some have questions but I don't think anyone on here would - or should - put your mother down. Some people have VERY sensitive noses which the next little story will illustrate.

I bought a suit for my mother years ago. She loved it and hung it in her closet. The next time I was over she had it out to take to the cleaners. She hadn't worn it yet but she said it smelled and was not only smelling up her closet but the whole house! I couldn't smell anything. I finally buried my face in the fabric and detected a slight smell and so, off to the cleaners. Cleaning didn't help. (According to the cleaner, it was the dye used). The next time I saw that suit was a month or so later when I went to her shed to get something and found it hanging in there. It really, really bothered her!

Now I'm not saying anything like this is the case with your mother and the smell on the Opera but did your father notice it as much as she did? Which I guess is neither here nor there, just curious.

And please, what cabin number was it!! Someone else asked and I don't remember seeing where you mentioned it. My first cabin assignment on our recent Galaxy cruise was one that I found mentioned in a review that complained of noise and vibration. I was able to get it switched after reading that. I think if complaints about a cabin are given, so should the cabin #!!

There were numerous travel agents on the inaugural, according to news articles. That could translate into seasoned travelers with extremely high expectations or more travelers understanding of the stumbles in the baby's first steps, so to speak. I would expect the cruise line got enormous feedback and is anxiously remedying any complaints to make a good impression. So I really do look forward to the second trip reviews and the nature of guests' complaints and accolades.

And, naturally, I look forward to PERFECTION by the time it's my turn on Feb. 26!

Yes, my father definately noticed the smell as well. They said it got worse with each passing day. At first the smell came from the vents, it then also came from the faucet as well. Picturing my parents sniffing around the cabin looking for the source of the problem provides an interesting mental picture for me!

Obviously my parents were not the only ones who noticed, for the steward has said that people had complained about sewer-type smells in that cabin and in the same area prior to their sailing.

I will ask what cabin they were in tonight. I know they were in one of the top levels.. if not the top level.. where there are inside cabins. On the 4th night of the cruise, they were finally moved to another cabin which did not have the problem.

So they saw the Manager, and he said there was a cabin available for them to move to because some people left the ship in St. Thomas. Wonder why?

/QUOTE]

This, I suspect, also had to do with the travel agents/writers being on board.

Incidentally, (the former journalist in me is obliged to tell you, there is no secret source to this info) you too can keep up with such tidbits with a little google news alert.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=1364010

ST. CROIX - Tourism officials said on Thursday they had no idea the MSC Opera cruise ship that visited St. Croix on Wednesday had 600 travel writers on board to cover the ship's maiden voyage.

Tourism Commissioner Pamela Richards said she was disappointed with the missed opportunity to truly sell St. Croix as tourist destination.

I know how to use google. I did mention that my mom know it was beyond the ship's control with what happened in St. Croix. So much, that the Commissioner of St. Croix boarded the ship. A letter was also sent to everyone onboard from her office apologizing for the situation and offering them a discount stay in St. Croix in the future.

re: cabin numbers... Just got off the phone with mom. Here is where I "cut and paste" from the other feedback thread.. since it is in regards to the same question.

My parents were in cabin 10060 on the Turandot Deck. Inside cabin. When they got moved on the 4th night, they were placed on the same deck, but more towards the front of the ship. Even though the new room did not have the "sewer gas" smell, the people across the hall commented that they had a foul smell in their cabin. My parents could also smell it as they walked towards the front of the ship on this deck.

Take from this as you will. Hopefully, the problem will be/is being addressed. It is just good information to pass on in case YOU encounter this problem. That way you know it is an ongoing problem if you have to address it yourself.

It is sad that I have received negative comments based on the feedback I shared with you. My mother is not on the internet much and asked that I share this with you. I am not some complainer.. just wanted to share the info.

And with that said, I am going back to the Celebrity board.

Tofu, I didn't mean to imply you don't know how to use google. Since there have been some questions on this board about people's motives in what they're posting, I merely wanted to clarify that I have no ulterior motive or inside information, just a googling interest in being prepared for my planned cruise (girl scout's honor!).

So they saw the Manager, and he said there was a cabin available for them to move to because some people left the ship in St. Thomas. Wonder why?

/QUOTE]

This, I suspect, also had to do with the travel agents/writers being on board.

Incidentally, (the former journalist in me is obliged to tell you, there is no secret source to this info) you too can keep up with such tidbits with a little google news alert.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=1364010

ST. CROIX - Tourism officials said on Thursday they had no idea the MSC Opera cruise ship that visited St. Croix on Wednesday had 600 travel writers on board to cover the ship's maiden voyage.

Tourism Commissioner Pamela Richards said she was disappointed with the missed opportunity to truly sell St. Croix as tourist destination.

Maybe it was better the travel writers got the see the "real deal" in St. Croix? No special treatment so they can tell it like it is.

Ernie

My parents were in cabin 10060 on the Turandot Deck. Inside cabin. When they got moved on the 4th night, they were placed on the same deck, but more towards the front of the ship. Even though the new room did not have the "sewer gas" smell, the people across the hall commented that they had a foul smell in their cabin. My parents could also smell it as they walked towards the front of the ship on this deck.

Thanks for the cabin number info. It will be helpful to future cruiser's and to see if MSC can get the problem resolved. Other new ships have had this problem and sometimes it takes repairs during the first scheduled dry-dock to fix it.

Please don't be scared off either. As you know, sometimes you have to have some fairly "thick skin" here on Cruise Critic. Don't take anything personal. People get very passionate about their ships and cruise lines .... sometimes more so then what would be considered healthy. ;) People also don't like to hear negative things about the ship/cruise line they are spending their hard earned dollars on for their next vacation. Just human nature I guess.

Ernie

I totally hear you Ernie. Trust me, I avidly read any posts having to do with Celebrity's Galaxy because that is my next cruise. I have been known to 'roll my eyes' when I read things on those boards when people complain about little things that are beyond the ship's control. Note that I "roll my eyes".. not flame away. hehe

But something like "sewer gas" is something people should know about because it is a health concern and could be a problem a future cruiser might face (which I certainly hope is not the case.) And even to the poster who thinks the feedback was "hot air," I don't even wish this upon you. That is how nice I am!!

:)

Ernie -- or should I say alter ego?! -- I agree totally with you ... if I were involved, I would certainly question the reality I get when preferential treatment for travel writers and agents is involvedl. After all, they got (probly mostly) comp'd; we pay the "big" bucks and get the real deal the rest of the season.

Besides, I'm looking to you to give me, as an Atlanta resident, for the "scoop" after your trip! And, as I said before, let's see whether MSC learned from Round 1. KO, TKO, or do they knock US out with solutions? I'm betting they're on a major learning curve. More ice, no smellies, juice at lunch, better communication. I wouldn't bet on the sheets, though, because I only change mine at home once a week.

I have a sneaky feeling they actually want to make a success of this market, don't you?!!

Benita

I'm new to cruisecritic. Taking my 2nd cruise ever on Opera 1/22. Hope cruisers from 12/4 sailing will answer some questions and also give critique of ship. From what I've read so far the dining rm food is good. Was lobster, prime rib, filet mignon served? I understand 2 formal nites. Ok for women to wear slacks & men to sans ties on the other nites? Ok to bring alcohol on board in luggage? Wine? Is there a cork charge? Can a liquor & soda card be bought? How much for how many? Someone posted that its ok to purchase liquor on ship & bring to room?? Postings seem to indicate shows are good. Is there a midnite buffet? What's it like? Sounds like theres a lot of diversity on this ship. Hope so. Looking fwd to meeting people from other countries. I would wish the time to pass faster to cruise time except I still haven't finished my Christmas shopping.

I'm new to cruisecritic. Taking my 2nd cruise ever on Opera 1/22. Hope cruisers from 12/4 sailing will answer some questions and also give critique of ship. From what I've read so far the dining rm food is good. Was lobster, prime rib, filet mignon served? I understand 2 formal nites. Ok for women to wear slacks & men to sans ties on the other nites? Ok to bring alcohol on board in luggage? Wine? Is there a cork charge? Can a liquor & soda card be bought? How much for how many? Someone posted that its ok to purchase liquor on ship & bring to room?? Postings seem to indicate shows are good. Is there a midnite buffet? What's it like? Sounds like theres a lot of diversity on this ship. Hope so. Looking fwd to meeting people from other countries. I would wish the time to pass faster to cruise time except I still haven't finished my Christmas shopping.

The in the dining room was good, lobster and prime rib were served but no filet mignon. There were 2 formal nights and all other nights were casual so pant and no tie is fine. By what I saw no problem bringing alcohol on board in checked or even carry on luggage and no corkage fee in the dining room. There was no soda card available that I know of. There was a midnight buffet on deck during the deck party and one formal buffet secord formal night. All other nights it was gourmet bites in the lounges. The entertainment and entertainment staff was first rate some of the best I have seen although being late seating for dinner I couldn't do everything. Enjoy your cruise I certainly did and would go back on this ship anytime.

Margaret

Sounds like your experience on the Opera was almost as bad as ours on the Lirica (See my review and others). Wonder if MSC will ever get the "kinks" out of it's ships, food, and service. God knows they had a year already experimenting with the Lirica and it sounds like they've learned a litlle but not near enough.

Getting "flamed" on these boards seems to have become the norm I guess. Passing along anything negative leaves you open to hostile comments.

I was given a nice discount on another cruise with MSC as a result of our experience, we chose to toss the letter. Nothig can make up for 12 days of a bad cruise. Seems so sad that while the ships themselves are very nice, just about everything else is substandard compared to other lines. Perhaps MSC needs to stress the fact that these are in fact "budget" cruises so as to not bring cruiser's expectations very high. Once onboard, it is too late and wishing you had spent a few hundred dollars more is no longer an option.

Thanks for your comments,

Nuhomes I cannot see how you can come to that conclusion from the recent post by one family who had a smell in their bathroom and are seeking maximum publicity on here. Even they, in spite of their multiple similar posts, did not find much below expectation about their cruise.

This is not peculiar to MSC I have had it on many ships including expensive premium lines. Its a fact of shipboard life unfortunately.

Generally recent reports of Opera on here have reported how good the food and entertainment is.

It is unfortunately very obvious from all your posts that you have a big grudge against MSC, Czechmate and Cod who could not be described as friends of mine, will confirm I am not a cheerleader or apologist for MSC or any other line, in fact quite the opposite. You have only to read my posts over the months to find that out.

Anyway I am travelling for the first time on Lirica this month and am boarding with an open mind and, like on any other cruise, I do not expect a perfect experience since that does not exist. I am expecting an enjoyable time.

You have not deterred me or many others from booking and I hope enjoying our cruise.

IF its much different to what a passenger might reasonably expect then be assured I will post it here.

Perhaps MSC needs to stress the fact that these are in fact "budget" cruises so as to not bring cruiser's expectations very high.

If $495 for a 7-day cruise on MSC does not spell out "B U D G E T" then I don't what does! This will eventually change as MSC plans to be more of a premium line, but for now I can't imagine taking a 7-day cruise for any less money ... and tipping is not required on top of it! I think people's expectations are way too high, and often times when something goes wrong they quickly forget how little they paid. Cruise passengers are also notorious for playing the "compare game". Regardless of the ship or line, it will never be as good as that "Brand X" cruise they took whenever .... and many will complain obsessively to anyone that will listen, especially during the buffet line! A good reason to avoid buffets at all costs! ;)

Ernie

HI. i WAS ON THAT CRUISE WITH MS. LOREN..THE BOAT/SHIP WAS THE BEST..BETTER THAN PRINCESS IN ALASKA. WE DIDN'T GO ANYWHERE,BUT YOU WOULD NEVER HAVE KNOWN..THE SERVICE THE FOOD THE ATMOSPHERE WAS JUST AWESSOME..I BOOKED THE TRANS ATLANTIC IN MAY..WOW DID WE HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

NuHome - No one - and least of all me - would ever wish to deny you your right to have an opinion and to express that an opinion.

What some of us find hard to understand is :

1. Why you are so adamant that what are only the opinions of you (and your friends) are FACT?

2. Why should your opinions have more credence than those who have opposite opinions?

2. Why when you cruised back in January and many months have passed do you keep returning and saying "read the reviews"? It appears that you are desperate that your out of date view will be ignored.

3. Why do you ignore the fact that there are more FAVOURABLE reviews and even dedicated web sites than the reverse?

4. Why will you never acknowledge that there were many happy passengers on your cruise?

5. Why will you never accept that there are many many thousands of very happy MSC cruisers?

You had your say back in January when you and your friends did their worst and posted on every site imaginable. That was your absolute right.

You are on record that never again will you cruise MSC and have torn up that letter offering a discount (best news I have read this week).

Fine - should you not now withdraw and allow those who have cruised recently and intend to cruise (including the many repeaters) with MSC to share their opinions?

It would seem that you did not notice from the reports/reviews from 4th December on Opera - the ship was beautiful, the food was good, the entertainment the best and for some very experienced travellers the service was also the best and a huge percentage of the 95% of senior passengers were having a GREAT TIME.

Now to me this sounds like a pretty good cruiseliner.